Confirmed with Link: Brad Richards signed with the Wings in 2015, so chat about it

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Helene St. James ‏@HeleneStJames 3m3 minutes ago
Red Wings general manager Ken Holland after signing D Mike Green & F Brad Richards. "We're done."

No trade apparrantly.. atleast not right away.
Could just be talking about free agency.

Aug 6, 2012
Weren't people mad when he said that, thinking he wouldn't sign anyone in free agency?

That was about signing a defenseman I think. Well for me at least. Maybe if Richards was good I could see the reason behind this signing. But I just don't see the appeal in his game one bit.

And it once again creates a logham meaning the roster is already set and that no young guys can push to make it in training camp/preseason.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
For one year as a fill in for Datsyuk, I can live with overpaying. It'll be interesting to see if a trade is made though

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Why not just promote Sheahan to the 2nd line if Datsyuk is out at the start of the season and call up Larkin to center the third line? It's literally impossible for Larkin to make the team now.

Sheahan put up one less point than Richards last season, but Sheahan isn't 35.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think he is capable of centering a second line. 37 points in 76 games ain't good enough.

Pretty much the exact same production as Sheahan, who was going to be our 2C most likely.

The center depth is nice. Clearly Mule is being LTIR'd at this point because I don't see them fitting the two UFAs plus Jurco and Nyquist under the cap. Not sure what the deadline is to get under, but I'm sure they can keep the Franzen is ok act up long enough.

I could see this signing turning out to be an absolutely awful one, but I could also see him being pretty useful as well. It's only a one year deal so the risk factor is very low. I don't love the move (would've loved to see Larkin up), but I don't hate it at all.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Totally ambivalent. Not a huge cost, just one year, sort of fills a need.

Aug 6, 2012
Why not just promote Sheahan to the 2nd line if Datsyuk is out at the start of the season and call up Larkin to center the third line? It's literally impossible for Larkin to make the team now.

Sheahan put up one less point than Richards last season, but Sheahan isn't 35.

Especially when you have Helm on the roster too and already a big amount of capable top 9 wingers.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is pretty much the perfect comparison.

Thank you, I thought of it all on my own without the help of Ricelund.

What I do like is Richards is a high skill player. He's not a banger, he's not a "everydayer", and he's not valued for his size and grit. He's valued because of his vision and passing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Did you watch him a lot last year? I didn't but what I did see I didn't like.

From what I remember, he's entirely worthless unless he's on the PP.

And PP pts don't count, so folks probably won't like him much ;)

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
This is the Cole or Legwand addition without giving up the 2nd round pick.

Would have been cool to see the team with Cole, Legwand, Franzen, Alfredsson along with the latest Richards, Green signing... It would be an old team but still very deep... I guess not possible with the cap being where it is atm...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad