Confirmed with Link: Brad Richards signed with the Wings in 2015, so chat about it

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Sorry for bumping this thread but I was curious how Richards has played for you guys

Haven't watched a lot of Wings this year and was wondering if this may be it for Richards

His play was slipping these past few years and he will be 36 yrs old soon

Still very happy with his one year as a Hawk

Another washed up vet.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
I think he has been a fine addition. He may be slow now but so are Datsyuk and Zetterberg. I like what he brings to the table. He's smart and good for the younger guys. I wouldn't mind re-signing him for one more year at 1.5-2 mil.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Honestly reminds me of Weiss from last year. Decent production but doesn’t really pass the eye test while watching him play. Would scratch him in favor of Jurco if i had a choice

Actually just looked up the stats.

Richards : 61 Games 9 goals 15 assists
Weiss : 52 Games 9 goals 15 assists

So exactly the same production as Weiss interestingly enough

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Honestly reminds me of Weiss from last year. Decent production but doesn’t really pass the eye test while watching him play. Would scratch him in favor of Jurco if i had a choice

He's a pretty smart player. I think he's been a liability way less than Weiss was.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
If you consider he was signed to solidify the #2 C position so that Pav and Z could play together, then he has been a major failure.

If he were signed as a guy to play 3rd/4th line and pass along his experience, then he has been fine. But, that's not what he was brought in as.

No thanks on another season.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
There is zero reason to bring Richards back. He has been pretty meh the whole season, and Blash constantly misuses him on the PP.We finally have two righties and he sticks them on the same unit. Richards is no longer a 2nd line center and between Sheahan, Larks, and AA I think we have 3 guys that could play 3rd line center on the team.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Quite honestly I think Richards passes the eye test more so than his offensive numbers. Pretty sound defensively, doesn't take penalties. But yeah, he shouldn't be brought back. Not been a good nor bad signing really.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Was never in favor of the signing. Would rather not have Weiss's buyout on the books should have just let his contract run out. Though I suppose that means no Green right?

Anyway just another token Holland veteran plug in the rebuild delaying quest to keep the streak alive even when the team is not a contender.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

I'm gonna be annoying here and point out that Weiss' production was actually awesome. Not decent. Awesome. See my avatar for details.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm probably the biggest Richards fan on this forum. And I'll be the first to say while he hasn't been a detriment, he hasn't also helped the way I hoped. So to that end, I wouldn't advocate he have a place next year. And that sucks for me to say, because I'm such a fan of his playmaking ability and hockey IQ. We've seen it on display a few times. That backhand chip pass to AA the other night, for example, was a play not many of our guys make. Heads up stuff like that has been missing from the Wings for awhile.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
I agree. No resign. And get him off the PP. He was a liability on the Rangers PP and that was then, according to a friend of mine.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm probably the biggest Richards fan on this forum. And I'll be the first to say while he hasn't been a detriment, he hasn't also helped the way I hoped. So to that end, I wouldn't advocate he have a place next year. And that sucks for me to say, because I'm such a fan of his playmaking ability and hockey IQ. We've seen it on display a few times. That backhand chip pass to AA the other night, for example, was a play not many of our guys make. Heads up stuff like that has been missing from the Wings for awhile.

I'm a fan as well, though he hasn't been able to consistently contribute in the way I believe him capable. It almost looks like he's a little lost out there, not quite sure who he's playing with or where they're going to be, and a part of that is on the coach as well. At this point, with all due respect, I'd not extend his contract either. Classy fellow, through and through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad