TSN: Brad Richards has been BOUGHT OUT.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for your time here Richie. Some fond memories in the POs.

Good luck with whoever you decide to play for.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Oh please. Drury scored one goal in 2011. 1. In 24 games. Yes, it was against the Devils in the last game, but give me a break.

Then he happened to happily take him buyout money from the Rangers and retire right after. If he was planning to retire, why not do it before the buyout?

Not only was he a terrible Ranger, he was a ******.

:laugh:

You're a bigger man than most of us.

Leaving $5M ($3.3M if you're bought out) on the table?

Come on...

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
He played his last 4 years here. What else can you judge his Rangers career on? He was a great player in Buffalo and had a terrific presence around the crease scoring garbage goals as well as being incredibly clutch. I never saw that here. 8 points in 21 playoff games.

In 2007-08 he was a solid player for us. Very good 2nd liner. If memory serves correctly he played with Shanahan and Avery. In 2009 he wasn't very good despite similar production, but the team itself sucked. In 2010 he was absolutely terrible, had 0 speed left and wasn't as much of a presence around the net. And in 2011 he was completely finished. He didn't play to his "2 way expectations" in 2010. 14 goals and 32 points for a 7 million dollar player? Even if you think his 08 and 09 seasons were good, he still dropped off from 37 goals in his last year in Buffalo to 25 and then 22.

As far as googling the info, take your own advice. There was a strong chance Drury was going to be put on LTIR for the 2011-12 season anyway and wouldn't have counted against the Rangers cap, so it's not like he did us some big favor by accepting the buyout.

I'm amazed that people think this guy was a good Ranger.

So i should google what i already know? Alright. :laugh:

Simliar production but somehow worse? That is some interested logic there.

Your point about the LTIR is absolutely pointless. He still wanted to play, whether there was a "strong chance" of LTIR or not (which is a rumor at best btw. no "research" required ;) ) at that point in time he wanted to continue trying to play and so the team respected that and went with a buyout instead of burying him in the minors or whatever else.

He was not brought in to be a offensive powerhouse. He was brought in for some grit, some good D and decent production. Which he did until the leg injury. I'm amazed people go so far to throw the guy under the bus like he did something wrong. If you want to talk about full on disappointment you can look no further than gomez who was was going from bad to awful after 1 year and perfectly healthy.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008

Come on...
That point used to be made all the time and every time it's disputed by saying that Drury could have been paid 5 million for a part time scouting job to help the NYR cap situation. Probably not technically allowed but in a hush hush situation its possible.

So i should google what i already know? Alright. :laugh:

Simliar production but somehow worse? That is some interested logic there.

Your point about the LTIR is absolutely pointless. He still wanted to play, whether there was a "strong chance" of LTIR or not (which is a rumor at best btw. no "research" required ;) ) at that point in time he wanted to continue trying to play and so the team respected that and went with a buyout instead of burying him in the minors or whatever else.

He was not brought in to be a offensive powerhouse. He was brought in for some grit, some good D and decent production. Which he did until the leg injury. I'm amazed people go so far to throw the guy under the bus like he did something wrong. If you want to talk about full on disappointment you can look no further than gomez who was was going from bad to awful after 1 year and perfectly healthy.

Stats tell the whole story, I forgot. Drury was much better in 2008 than 2009, it was pretty clear from watching the 2009 team that Gomez and Drury were supposed to lead us following Jagr's departure but in reality Zherdev was our best offensive player. :laugh: Drury and Gomez both clearly lost a step that year.

The team "respecting" what Drury wanted doesn't really matter. He may have wanted to continue to play but he never did. So that's a what if. Maybe you're right but I'd love to see an actual quote from the team on that. They bought him out because he was terrible and broken down.

It doesn't really matter what Drury was brought here to be if he was paid as a first liner. He should be held to the standard of his salary. Just like Rick Nash gets ripped on when he doesn't score for 10 games when Dom Moore gets a pass. Drury was not the same player in NY, even in his first two years, as he was in Buffalo.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

Come on...

Regardless it showed a lack of integrity. Gil Meche and Markus Naslund are the two who come to mind but there have been countless people who throughout history had the integrity to say no to money they knew they wouldn't or couldn't earn. It doesn't make Drury evil scum but it certainly showed a lack of integrity

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Regardless it showed a lack of integrity. Gil Meche and Markus Naslund are the two who come to mind but there have been countless people who throughout history had the integrity to say no to money they knew they wouldn't or couldn't earn. It doesn't make Drury evil scum but it certainly showed a lack of integrity

The Rangers gave Drury that contract. Lack of integrity? Get out of here with that self-righteous BS.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
I was horrifyingly surprised by how lazy and stupid Richards play was for a guy with his "winning" reputation. Large stretches of his bad play had nothing to do with him "getting old." He played pretty good in a couple playoffs, so all was not lost. Can't say I will miss him, though.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

I'll respectfully disagree and say nope.

At worst, it shows a lack of judgment by the people who okayed this contract...

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
He was bought out, something you're not allowed to do if the player is injured... :(

He wasn't on IR, he came off to play in the final regular season game and the playoff series vs WSH. He was clearly troubled by his injuries in those games and the knee injuries were given as the reason for his retirement by every source I remember reading.

Dru wanted to play on which is why he had to be bought out. Examinations over the summer concluded that he had to hang'em up.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
He wasn't on IR, he came off to play in the final regular season game and the playoff series vs WSH. He was clearly troubled by his injuries in those games and the knee injuries were given as the reason for his retirement by every source I remember reading.

Dru wanted to play on which is why he had to be bought out. Examinations over the summer concluded that he had to hang'em up.

Either he was injured, in which case he could not be bought out, or he wasn't, in which case the insurance would not pay him.

Six of one, half a dozen...

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Either he was injured, in which case he could not be bought out, or he wasn't, in which case the insurance would not pay him.

Six of one, half a dozen...

Or he was, but didn't contest the buyout since he was hoping to get a new contract and be able to keep playing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Darren Dreger was on TSN radio in the last few days discussing Brad Richards. Maybe it was today. Richards is motivated to prove the Rangers made a mistake in buying him out. He was motivated this season too but managed 20 goals and 51 points. The Rangers need more than that for his cap hit and the recapture looming down the road.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Occam's Razor is your friend...
Not really relevant here, as you would have to assume he was healthy even though he could hardly skate his last few games.

Several potentially career ending injuries at his age coupled with the wear and tear of the NHL are indications that his body was done. I'm also pretty sure he stated in public that he did not want to quit hockey.

Either way, we're getting way OT. I'll leave it there.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Darren Dreger was on TSN radio in the last few days discussing Brad Richards. Maybe it was today. Richards is motivated to prove the Rangers made a mistake in buying him out. He was motivated this season too but managed 20 goals and 51 points. The Rangers need more than that for his cap hit and the recapture looming down the road.

Was that Richards' point? I don't think it was. I think he wants to earn another contract and prove that he can still play. I don't think he wants to "prove the Rangers made a mistake" - he knows exactly how bad of a business decision it would've been for the NYR to keep him.

The cap recapture in the final 3 years of his contract are absolutely brutal and Richards knows it.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Was that Richards' point? I don't think it was. I think he wants to earn another contract and prove that he can still play. I don't think he wants to "prove the Rangers made a mistake" - he knows exactly how bad of a business decision it would've been for the NYR to keep him.

The cap recapture in the final 3 years of his contract are absolutely brutal and Richards knows it.

I'd imagine he understands the business decision being made, but would assume he'd want to prove the Rangers wrong by playing at a high caliber of hockey for the next several years to the point at which the cap recapture wouldn't come into play, as opposed to proving them right and pretty much fizzle out and not playing hockey in 2-3 years. Most don't think it's realistic and thus agree with the decision, but I'd guess he still wants to play as long as he can and he wants to play well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad