TSN: Brad Richards has been BOUGHT OUT.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Brad Richards should never be mentioned in the same breathe with Drury and Gomez. He accomplished significantly more than both of those bums in a leadership role here. We had two great runs with him. We didn't win it all but for a franchise quite frankly as unsuccessful as the Rangers he definitely had a good run here.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Brad Richards should never be mentioned in the same breathe with Drury and Gomez. He accomplished significantly more than both of those bums in a leadership role here. We had two great runs with him. We didn't win it all but for a franchise quite frankly as unsuccessful as the Rangers he definitely had a good run here.

Drury had 2 50 pt seasons and a 30 pt season playing with a degenerative knee. Without him we don't make the playoffs the year TB knocked out carolina for us and he was a presence in the locker room. In what world does that classify him as a bum? Don't lynch a guy for not living up to an impossible contract sather gave him. He was always a 50 pt 2way player and sather paid him like a 100 pt playmaker.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

He also was surrounded by a significantly better supporting cast.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

You may be attributing too much to him when it should be attributed to the team around him. But then again there's always the 6.6 second goal so that kind of alone beats out what Drury and Gomez did combined

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Drury had 2 50 pt seasons and a 30 pt season playing with a degenerative knee. Without him we don't make the playoffs the year TB knocked out carolina for us and he was a presence in the locker room. In what world does that classify him as a bum? Don't lynch a guy for not living up to an impossible contract sather gave him. He was always a 50 pt 2way player and sather paid him like a 100 pt playmaker.
Oh please. Drury scored one goal in 2011. 1. In 24 games. Yes, it was against the Devils in the last game, but give me a break.

Then he happened to happily take him buyout money from the Rangers and retire right after. If he was planning to retire, why not do it before the buyout?

Not only was he a terrible Ranger, he was a ******.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah that's a pretty big difference between those players and their tenure with the Rangers.

All these centers come from charmed situations and the Rangers always seem to just assume it'll be the same here. Its always wrong.

It'll probably happen again.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Oh please. Drury scored one goal in 2011. 1. In 24 games. Yes, it was against the Devils in the last game, but give me a break.

Then he happened to happily take him buyout money from the Rangers and retire right after. If he was planning to retire, why not do it before the buyout?

Based on what exactly? Because he didn't score 50 goals a year to appease you on a crap contract Sather just threw at him?

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
He would be bought out if he scored 40 goals this season. It has nothing to do with his production but with the contract.

If Richards was a 40 goal scorer and scored 40 this season, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been bought out. :laugh:

A lot of it had to do with his production. If he was producing at the pace he did with Tampa and Dallas, then he'd still be here.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Sad to see him go, but this is a casualty of the lockout. I think he still could've had a place on this team as a 3C with less minutes and less time on the PP, but the Bettman's Cap Recapture monstrosity seals the deal here. Sather had no choice and Brad will join a competitive team, hopefully in the West, without a problem.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Sad to see him go, but this is a casualty of the lockout. I think he still could've had a place on this team as a 3C with less minutes and less time on the PP, but the Bettman's Cap Recapture monstrosity seals the deal here. Sather had no choice and Brad will join a competitive team, hopefully in the West, without a problem.

Richards had declining production and his legs have essentially been shot.

I think even without the cap recapture penalty, he would have still been bought out with the way he has played the last two years.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York

Okay. Lets use the end of a guy's career as a stepping stone to define his entire exsistance for the team. The seasons that he was healthy in he played up to his 2-way expectations. Only idiots were expecting him to have ridiculous 70-80 point seasons. The 24 game season was him playing on one leg and getting his limping team into the playoffs. Sorry the guy put his body on the line for our team and didn't go PPG while doing it.

He accepted a buyout because he wanted to continue trying to play despite his injury. 2 months later it got worse forsebrg-style and he was forced to retire from hockey, period. How about googling some info before whining about the guy for no reason? :shakehead

Are you joking or what?

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Okay. Lets use the end of a guy's career as a stepping stone to define his entire exsistance for the team. The seasons that he was healthy in he played up to his 2-way expectations. Only idiots were expecting him to have ridiculous 70-80 point seasons. The 24 game season was him playing on one leg and getting his limping team into the playoffs. Sorry the guy put his body on the line for our team and didn't go PPG while doing it.

He accepted a buyout because he wanted to continue trying to play despite his injury. 2 months later it got worse forsebrg-style and he was forced to retire from hockey, period. How about googling some info before whining about the guy for no reason? :shakehead

Are you joking or what?

He played his last 4 years here. What else can you judge his Rangers career on? He was a great player in Buffalo and had a terrific presence around the crease scoring garbage goals as well as being incredibly clutch. I never saw that here. 8 points in 21 playoff games.

In 2007-08 he was a solid player for us. Very good 2nd liner. If memory serves correctly he played with Shanahan and Avery. In 2009 he wasn't very good despite similar production, but the team itself sucked. In 2010 he was absolutely terrible, had 0 speed left and wasn't as much of a presence around the net. And in 2011 he was completely finished. He didn't play to his "2 way expectations" in 2010. 14 goals and 32 points for a 7 million dollar player? Even if you think his 08 and 09 seasons were good, he still dropped off from 37 goals in his last year in Buffalo to 25 and then 22.

As far as googling the info, take your own advice. There was a strong chance Drury was going to be put on LTIR for the 2011-12 season anyway and wouldn't have counted against the Rangers cap, so it's not like he did us some big favor by accepting the buyout.

I'm amazed that people think this guy was a good Ranger.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Okay Sather you got a redo on this mistake. Now dont go make another and hand Stastny a blank check

Swept In Seven

Disciple of The Zook
Apr 27, 2010
Honest question

As a Hawk fan I would like Hawks to take a run at Richards and try to convince him to take a 2 yr deal at affordable rate (So they dont have to rush Teuvo Teravainen). I think that Richards is still good enought to be a 2nd line C for a few years

Do you think Richards would be a fit with Patrick Sharp at LW and Marian Hossa at RW on 2nd line?

If you'd like a guy to drag them down then I would say yes. He drags down whatever line he plays on, his linemates have to play in spite of him. Consistently making the wrong play, terrible defense that leaves you shaking your head, (apple) turnovers, skates like he is in quicksand, can't keep an NHL pace, and a shot that is either off the glass or in the goalies stomach but sometimes he comes up clutch (I'll give him that).

He is a shell of his former self

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad