Brad Larsen - move on or ride it out - poll

Brad Larsen - Move On or Ride It Out?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm seeing less "Improve what we have" and more "throw out absolutely everything and start over from scratch with a completely different philosophy". You realize that that last means our next playoff appearance will be sometime around 2033, right?
I hate going back to this as a comparison but NJ is doing what they are dong with most players drafted in 2017 and later. Seattle is putting together a playoff quality team with their prospects and every other team's castoffs in year 2. 10 years is a bit extreme. tearing it all down to bare bones shouldn't take longer than 5 years. This length also seems to hold true in baseball. In theory, we "should" already be 2 years into this.

The worst part is that I feel like our management of this process is closer to the Edmonton Oilers than they are an actual successful team.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I hate going back to this as a comparison but NJ is doing what they are dong with most players drafted in 2017 and later. Seattle is putting together a playoff quality team with their prospects and every other team's castoffs in year 2. 10 years is a bit extreme. tearing it all down to bare bones shouldn't take longer than 5 years. This length also seems to hold true in baseball. In theory, we "should" already be 2 years into this.

The worst part is that I feel like our management of this process is closer to the Edmonton Oilers than they are an actual successful team.
Or in practice? Maybe this is management's plan and we're just not privy to it. We're all "fire Jarmo, fire Larsen" when they're doing exactly what we want.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm seeing less "Improve what we have" and more "throw out absolutely everything and start over from scratch with a completely different philosophy". You realize that that last means our next playoff appearance will be sometime around 2033, right?
Is that much better than building for 3 years to have 2 average years and then we rebuild? That is more of the Jarmo/JD medl we've been accustomed to. It's not like we have a lotto bank on with current guys in charge.

TO me the coach has to go - to me looks like a convenient hire, someone who would do what managmeent and ownership wanted (to not be Torts and let the guys play).

I have no idea if JD has pic of the McConnell family and why/how he can come and go as he pleases when othe ropportunities pops up. I have no idea how Jarmo has kept his job for so long.

But I agree we need to make a lot of changes.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

I don’t see a philosophy. I am thinking 2026 for playoffs. Last year I was thinking maybe 2025. Until Jiricek is a competent defenseman and we can actually hold a team to under 3 goals per game, we aren’t going to the playoffs. I haven’t been sold on any of our goalies. I wanted to trade Elvis while he had some value and sign a veteran. I am still not sold on our goalies. I also don’t think think we have a 1c or 2c yet, and we are a couple of years away from having that. We have elite wings and decent left D - the easiest pieces to acquire. Some people are still upset we lost a pretty good (not great) wing this off season. I’m upset that I don’t see a vision with this team. We seem to be gathering wings and small defensemen. That is not the path to playoff success. So we should cut bait. I dont really have a problem with Jarmo’s drafting. But I think hiring Larsen and letting him do whatever he has dome with the defensIve scheme is a fireable offense. Larsen isn’t developing guys and if the front office can’t see that, let’s get rid of the front office.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Or in practice? Maybe this is management's plan and we're just not privy to it. We're all "fire Jarmo, fire Larsen" when they're doing exactly what we want.
In the words of Judge Judy, don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining. If that is the case. Stop with the “reset” BS and be honest.

• Haha
Reactions: MAHJ71

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
I’ve changed my mind, Lars needs to go. As much as I like him as a person he is not a good coach. Gudbranson saying the team isn’t practicing well, Porty reporting players not knowing what is the plan for practice, and that it is more coaches drawing up plays on the whiteboard than actual practice going on all is terrible for development. Recall laine saying some not so great things about practice to Finnish media as well as Finnish media reporting our practices were a mess. Seems like Lars is in way over his head. Even if we finish with the worst record in the league the young guys should not be going thru this. Development needs to be top priority and Lars is not doing that well

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I get this. I don’t know as anyone actually does it though. Did we hear that kind of messaging from New Jersey (example chosen as they are the most-often cited model)?
I don't know anyone who outright says it but people are smart enough to figure it out. It's when Jarmo comes out and signs big contracts and says he expects to be competitive is where the rub is. He's setting unrealisitc expectations. I also think he puts unrealistic expectations on prospects with hype too soon. i.e. Bemstrom

The Blackhawks are clearly in rebuild mode. Everyone knows it and nobody believes they are going to be competitive for a few years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
One thing you have to be concerned is the development of the young players.
Is Larsen the right guy for that.

Based on the comments from the players to outside media following Columbus I’m not comfortable.
Too much smoke around Larsens credibility as a coach

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I just watched the video. Injuries are becoming the excuse for the incompetence of those who are not and have not been injured. In any event, Pierre makes it sound like we are tanking without saying we are tanking.

Reactions: domi28

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Dear Brad,

200w.webp

Sounds like Scott Arniel

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That is enough for you to not want Brunette now? I think his system would be an improvement instantly, and if it does fail they'd be failing in more productive ways. To me the current roster struggling in his system would be more than countered by the benefits reaped when our recently drafted defensemen are here and playing for him. I think it would fail but not in devastating long term ways.

Brunette's system requires fast puck carriers coming out of the back end. We have several of the slowest and worst D in the NHL in our lineup, and that's before counting Andrew Peeke. Unless Jarmo can find the next Montour and Forsling (Broberg? Kylington?) they will definitely fail, and that would be bad for a new coach. Players needs success to provide the positive reinforcement to fully enact their roles in a new system.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Why does it matter and why do we care?

There are many paths to coaching folks. That Larsen doesn't do it a particular way isn't an indictment. The issue is that whatever it is he is doing doesn't seem to be working.
And not to say this is the right way but what he is doing is the exact opposite of this. For a guy who talks a lot about accountability we don't see much of it unless your name is Jack Roslovic.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Are you suggesting they will actually improve the defense to passable level before next season, even with the potential loss of Gavrikov? Or are you just talking about Werenski and other roster players coming back from injuries?

We're not going to be able to defend our end well, but frankly Florida couldn't either. They were great because of the breakout process.

Bring in Werenski, Blankenburg, Jiricek, maybe get a guy who can fly (Graves, or Broberg or Kylington would take off like Montour/ Forsling).

Reactions: LJ7

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Honestly none of those … Larsen will ride out the season , or at best case they fire Larsen, and elevate Vincent . Also , Larsen is good for the tank . Get the kids down to Cleveland , let Larsen flounder riding his vet players 22 min a night . Get rid of Jarmo and Brad after the season is over .
No good at all. Larsen is doing more harm than good. As for a tank c’mon there are so many ways for a tank to go wrong not to mention I never played the game to lose and don’t believe in it. We lose then we lose but not from lack of effort or having a shit Coach stunting the growth of young players.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

It’s up to the PLAYERS to play hard and be a tough team to play against. Brad Larsen is not on the ice.

Simple as that.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
From Porty's article today:
The loss prompted a morning of meetings for Davidson, Kekalainen and others in hockey operations, but if Blue Jackets fans were looking for sweeping changes — or for heads to roll — they may be disappointed.

“We can’t get into a panic situation,” Davidson said. “It doesn’t get any worse than what you saw Wednesday. But that doesn’t mean I walk in today and blow things up because there’s noise out there.

“It doesn’t work that way. You have to be methodical about everything you do, and it’s my job to keep level-headed through this thing. You can’t just run out and pluck somebody off waivers. You can’t just go make a blockbuster trade because they don’t happen this time of year.”

I think it's good that they're taking a long view since stability is key. That said, I really don't think Larsen is the long term solution. My only concern is the development and confidence of the players.

Last edited:

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Brunette's system requires fast puck carriers coming out of the back end. We have several of the slowest and worst D in the NHL in our lineup, and that's before counting Andrew Peeke. Unless Jarmo can find the next Montour and Forsling (Broberg? Kylington?) they will definitely fail, and that would be bad for a new coach. Players needs success to provide the positive reinforcement to fully enact their roles in a new system.
My thing is I'm worried if we wait until the summer he might not be available, and I think the 22-23 lumps would be worth covering for that risk. He also may not be available at all for us. Either way it's tough watching a rush forward group playing with AHL defensemen. Even when healthy we don't have strong rush creating defensemen, but you already posted about that in specific so I'll just leave it at that.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If we keep Larsen , management needs to do the right thing and send KJ , Sillinger, Chinakov, Marchenko, and Boquist down , to join Jiricek and Tarasov… It’s mind blowing to me , and I’ve said as much calling Larsen .. Torts 2.0 with his player utilization . Not to mention KJ and Chinakov have been 2 of our best forwards.
5DA17CC6-BE3B-40D2-B782-3D3BA1F66EC0.jpeg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My thing is I'm worried if we wait until the summer he might not be available, and I think the 22-23 lumps would be worth covering for that risk. He also may not be available at all for us. Either way it's tough watching a rush forward group playing with AHL defensemen. Even when healthy we don't have strong rush creating defensemen, but you already posted about that in specific so I'll just leave it at that.

Yeah I'm not sure he'd be available regardless. The Devils might have already set him up to take over for Ruff at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad