Brad Hunt

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Was listening to CHED tonight after work, and Bob Stauffer seems to have developed a major man crush on this guy. To the point that he's suggesting that the Oilers keep Hunt up on the main roster and sending Marincin, and Klebom down to Oklahoma City.

I have nothing against Hunt, but I have a tough time thinking of him as an NHL player. And through much reading on these boards, I'm not alone with that train of thought.

Think he has it in him to prove most of us wrong?

Last edited:

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Was listening to CHED tonight after work, and Bob Stauffer seems to have developed a major man crush on this guy. To the point that he's suggesting that the Oilers keep Hunt up on the main roster and sending Marincin, and Klebom.

I have nothing against Hunt, but I have a tough time thinking of him as an NHL player. And through much reading on these boards, I'm not alone with that train of thought.

Think he has it in him to prove most of us wrong?

The Oilers already have Schultz as a crazy offensive dman, Hunt is useless. He's been average, nothing more, he's not the new Rafalski!

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Hunt is a little more steady and seasoned than both Marincin and Klefbom. I'm all for it. We're not winning anything this year anyways, why rush our young d-men into the cauldron of suck?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Career AHler. There is also nothing for Marincin and Klefbom to learn in the AHL at this point. Time to hone their game in the big show.

dobiezeke*

Great shot - low IQ defensively...we had our fill of these in the past three years.

Should do wonders in OKC.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
as stated before

Poor mans Greg Hawgood (yes I am aging myself here) but Hunt looks good in spurts-but for the long haul he wont be good at the NHL level.

He would be expected to play 15 to 17 minutes a night--oiler need to be tougher to play against and have d-men who can play minutes.

We over played both Schultz and Petry last year--I see Hunt being a guy who would not be able to handle 4 games in 7 night or 3 in 4

dobiezeke*

Hunt is a little more steady and seasoned than both Marincin and Klefbom. I'm all for it. We're not winning anything this year anyways, why rush our young d-men into the cauldron of suck?

You are aware that Marincin and Hunt started their AHL careers in the same year...not sure how he is more "seasoned".

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
That's a bit far.. One of Klefbom or Marincin need to break into the lineup this year. They are both ready and one of them is already going to get seasoning in the AHL as is. I'm all for Hunt as a #7 defenseman ahead of Aulie, but taking the other spot? Not a chance.

The only exception for both those guys going to OKC is if Nurse gets his 9 game stint.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
You are aware that Marincin and Hunt started their AHL careers in the same year...not sure how he is more "seasoned".

How is he not? Hunt is 26 and played 4 years of college, of course he's more seasoned. In saying that Marincin is clearly the better player and does not belong in the AHL at all.

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
He's better than Aulie, and I don't have any desire to sit one of our young prospects in the press box.

I'm all for him making the team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Older doesn't mean more seasoned.

Marincin was playing top pairing minutes in the NHL last season and not looking out of place while Hunt played a few games on the bottom pairing and got eaten alive.
Hunt over Marincin is silly talk. I don't know what the heck Stauffer was smoking when he made that statement.
Hunt is a more seasoned AHL player but that doesn't mean anything as far as NHL preparedness is concerned.

He's the Arcobello of defense. Good AHL player, can do ok in spurts at the NHL level but doesn't have NHL level finish or the consistency to stick full time.
Hunt over Aulie is another story though.

I think he'd be just fine as a fill in just as I think Arcobello would be fine as a first call up. If either is in your lineup full time, you really need to re-evaluate your lineup.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I thought it was funny when they said "If you look at everyone's entire body of work during the pre-season, he's been the best" and "it's hard to argue that he shouldn't be on the team."

Hearing crap like this made me switch the station.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I like Hunt a ton, but even I don't want him on the big club, he's a great guy to have on our farm team and he helps our overall depth. I like him as our #8-9 guy on the depth chart and he's the best guy we have to fulfill a Justin Schultz kind of role, but with a healthy Schultz I don't see the need for him.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If we are serious about winning, we send Nurse to junior and play Hunt or Marincin and send Klefbom to OKC. Hunt should get a few NHL games based on his play so far.

Based on camp, Arco and Lander should head to OKC too but I suspect management is stuck in "sunk cost" land and think they can turn coal into gold.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I think he'd be just fine as a fill in just as I think Arcobello would be fine as a first call up. If either is in your lineup full time, you really need to re-evaluate your lineup.

The line-up has been fubar for years.

To the point where we have ONE d-man who can play on the PP. And poorly at that. Hunt can be the flailing fill-in while Marincin and Klefbom learn the duties in the AHL. Unless you want two more budding Smids on the roster.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Disagree. Hunt is worse defensively than both Klefbom and Marincin. At least from what I've seen so far from them.

Now if the discussion was the #7 between Aulie and Hunt... I could potentially get behind Hunt who brings a bit of a different dynamic to the team when he would draw in.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

No but this does:

"accustomed to particular conditions; experienced."

Clearly Brad Hunt has played more high level hockey than Marincin, you could say Marincin is a more seasoned NHL defender but he's certainly not more seasoned in terms of hockey experience. In the most applicable sense of the word Brad Hunt is more seasoned, he's not likely to get much more accustomed to pro hockey than he is. Marincin on the other hand i'd like to believe can get much more accustomed to the level of play and become even better than he already is. Experience is often heavily correlated to age.

2Sedins0Cups

Clever ain't wise.
Jul 29, 2013
Edmonton
Hunt has easily outplayed Aulie for the 7th spot. I've been pumping him a bit in the game day threads watching along. He's outplayed him every game, I think it would be a shame if they kept Aulie up over Hunt. I'd much rather see Hunt start the year as 7D. We already know Aulie will struggle, Hunt can't do much worse.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
No but this does:

"accustomed to particular conditions; experienced."

Clearly Brad Hunt has played more high level hockey than Marincin, you could say Marincin is a more seasoned NHL defender but he's certainly not more seasoned in terms of hockey experience. In the most applicable sense of the word Brad Hunt is more seasoned, he's not likely to get much more accustomed to pro hockey than he is. Marincin on the other hand i'd like to believe can get much more accustomed to the level of play and become even better than he already is. Experience is often heavily correlated to age.

I'm so confused by this.

I count 153 GP (including playoffs) in the AHL for Hunt, and 3 NHL GP.

I count 122 GP (including playoffs) in the AHL for Marincin, and 44 NHL GP.

So in terms of playing pro hockey, Marincin has played more in the NHL and more overall pro games than Hunt. They both played their first "full" season in the AHL the same year. The only difference between the two is four years of age, which maybe gives Hunt more life experience and makes him probably too old to develop much further, but why are we putting him in the NHL then? Because he's paid his dues? If Marincin can continue to develop, as you suggest, can he not do that at the NHL level?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'm so confused by this.

I count 153 GP (including playoffs) in the AHL for Hunt, and 3 NHL GP.

I count 122 GP (including playoffs) in the AHL for Marincin, and 44 NHL GP.

So in terms of playing pro hockey, Marincin has played more in the NHL and more overall pro games than Hunt. They both played their first "full" season in the AHL the same year. The only difference between the two is four years of age, which maybe gives Hunt more life experience and makes him probably too old to develop much further, but why are we putting him in the NHL then? Because he's paid his dues? If Marincin can continue to develop, as you suggest, can he not do that at the NHL level?

College is high level hockey, Marincin was developing in Slovakia up until he was 18, he's clearly a rawer talent. I don't know what makes you think i'm telling you Hunt should be in the NHL over Marincin, i've been one of Marincin's biggest fan for years. All i'm saying is the criticism for the comment regarding Hunt as being more seasoned isn't particularly apt.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Marincin was playing top pairing minutes in the NHL last season and not looking out of place while Hunt played a few games on the bottom pairing and got eaten alive.
Hunt over Marincin is silly talk. I don't know what the heck Stauffer was smoking when he made that statement.
Hunt is a more seasoned AHL player but that doesn't mean anything as far as NHL preparedness is concerned.

He's the Arcobello of defense. Good AHL player, can do ok in spurts at the NHL level but doesn't have NHL level finish or the consistency to stick full time.
Hunt over Aulie is another story though.

Just to raise the point that playing with the Edmonton Oilers and amidst this chaotic environment is not necessarily more seasoned. A reasonable case can be made that players developing elsewhere learn a lot more than they do here on how to succeed.

normally I would agree with you but I'm starting to wonder what seasoning here actually does.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
College is high level hockey, Marincin was developing in Slovakia up until he was 18, he's clearly a rawer talent. I don't know what makes you think i'm telling you Hunt should be in the NHL over Marincin, i've been one of Marincin's biggest fan for years. All i'm saying is the criticism for the comment regarding Hunt as being more seasoned isn't particularly apt.

College isn't high like pro level hockey is, though. Maybe he gets an advantage playing that over Marincin's CHL play, just like a CHLer might get an advantage playing over a guy who plays a couple seasons in Junior A instead. However, after they play some pro hockey you start looking at that exclusively, not their long lost junior career. Probably doesn't matter anymore that Kyle Turris played BCHL, and lots of hockey has been played since Hunt left college early 2012.

I guess I didn't recognize that you were contesting a specific point rather than Hunt being superior to Marincin, but I still don't think that Hunt is much more 'seasoned'. Marincin, overall, has had much more high-level hockey experience in the last couple years for sure. Wouldn't that balance out any advantage Hunt held before?

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
College isn't high like pro level hockey is, though. Maybe he gets an advantage playing that over Marincin's CHL play, just like a CHLer might get an advantage playing over a guy who plays a couple seasons in Junior A instead. However, after they play some pro hockey you start looking at that exclusively, not their long lost junior career. Probably doesn't matter anymore that Kyle Turris played BCHL, and lots of hockey has been played since Hunt left college early 2012.

I guess I didn't recognize that you were contesting a specific point rather than Hunt being superior to Marincin, but I still don't think that Hunt is much more 'seasoned'. Marincin, overall, has had much more high-level hockey experience in the last couple years for sure. Wouldn't that balance out any advantage Hunt held before?

College isn't pro hockey but it's a far better development league than Slovakia. Guy's literally make a straight jump from college to the NHL pretty regularly, Slovakia not so much...

It's a bit of an issue with semantics but when i talk about Hunt being more seasoned the key is that he's not as raw a talent as Marincin is. Marincin has a lot more work to do to refine his game, the sky's the limit for him. Hunt isn't likely to develop a ton more in the AHL, and isn't likely to be hurt by sitting in the pressbox. Basically to turn it into a cooking analogy Hunt is a cooked/finished product that would be over seasoned playing in the AHL much longer, while Marincin is still cooking and could use some delicious seasoning from time. Hunt is still developing too i just think he has less development to go through. It's not a big deal i just thought the fellow was wrong when it comes to the true meaning of the word.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think this current love-in with Brad Hunt will evaporate pretty quickly if he ever has to play consistently in our top 6 against full NHL rosters.

He does do some nice things when the puck is on his stick and he can skate, but I think in the long run he would end up costing this team more goals against than what he could produce. He could fill the role as a #7 dman who plays part time in specific situations, but I hope that's all...I just don't see much of an NHL-level dman in him.

When I look at him, I see a less aggressive MAB without the point shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad