Waived: Brad Boyes

Rats96Yo

Oct 17, 2006
Coral Springs
I was a fan of Boyes. I liked his mix of competent game, his attitude and apparent leadership. True pro. But he clearly was not the player he was when we scraped him off the heap two years ago. He lost his shootout prowess along with some speed. It was evident in his numbers and to Coach Gallant.

I believe between Gallant and Tallon, they did not see him as a good enough stopgap for this coming season and certainly not good enough to perform in playoff time. He reminds me of Wolski who was an offensive minded player but could not hang in the amped up blend of speed and roughness of the playoffs and was scratched all but one game(?) and was shuttled right out of here.

That being said, if Tallon does not handle this as a precursor to a bonafide upgrade, and instead pins our chances on unproven youngsters, then it does reek of mid '00s Panthers follies and I will have lost a lot of respect for DT.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Other than Boston, most East teams have improved (some significantly). With the roster as it is now it's likely we finish lower than we did this year.

What team competing with the Panthers aside from Columbus improved though? (as of now) Ottawa stayed the same and Boston got much worse. Those are the only teams close. Buffalo will add 20-30 points this year, it still doesn't bring them close. I think people forget just how bad they were.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
One more time for Brad Boyes.

Brad Boyes
Brad Boyes
What'cha gonna do?
What'cha gonna do when they buy-out-you?!

you stole that joke from that guy over at the trade rumor board?

also, why does it say "bob marley"? it's inner circle whos done that song in 1992 and by that time bob had been dean for 11 years.. :shakehead

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
wow, i've read some crazy stuff in this page now.
apparantly it's boyes or bust. :laugh: didn't realize he was the star of the team. :sarcasm:

come on.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
A lot of you are also over-emphasizing our "non-change" this offseason. That's only on paper...there is always change. If you really think our young growing players won't improve at all from season to season, then I can understand your worry. But that's just not the case. Maybe Ekblad slumps? But Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Barkov, Pirri, Trocheck, are not done improving....they're just not.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
A lot of you are also over-emphasizing our "non-change" this offseason. That's only on paper...there is always change. If you really think our young growing players won't improve at all from season to season, then I can understand your worry. But that's just not the case. Maybe Ekblad slumps? But Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Barkov, Pirri, Trocheck, are not done improving....they're just not.

Yes. One of the biggest change is that our first line will be compose of 3 first liner. Not two first liner and a borderline 3rd liner.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Don't mind cutting Boyes lose, he wasn't fast, big/physical, nor that great at creating offense (tho at least he can find the back of the net more times than others). He was 2 for 7 in shootouts I believe, so we could probably do better in overall play. Just depends who they have in mind to replace him or add to this roster.

Last edited:

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
apparantly it's boyes or bust. :laugh: didn't realize he was the star of the team. :sarcasm:

come on.

No. It's the fact we pay part of is salary for buying him out, instead of trading him. Which could have been done, especially on the contract he is. Absolutely no way, we can't get a draft pick for him. Hell, Phoenix traded for Pronger, so the whole "Dontcha think DT tried to trade him durka durka" IS NOT a legitimate excuse.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
No. It's the fact we pay part of is salary for buying him out, instead of trading him. Which could have been done, especially on the contract he is. Absolutely no way, we can't get a draft pick for him. Hell, Phoenix traded for Pronger, so the whole "Dontcha think DT tried to trade him durka durka" IS NOT a legitimate excuse.

Pronger is a cap floor move. He counts more against the cap than they pay.

Boyes is a hard sell at 2+ million and I don't think we want to use a salary rention spot on him if it's less than a million.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
This feels like the mid 2000's Panthers type of move.

Don't see DT bringing in anyone, especially a scorer. He seems convinced these kids can step in and be valuable NHLers. I just don't see them being there just yet. Feels like Weiss and co. all over again getting rushed into roles they aren't ready for.

Is ownership handcuffing him with the money? Buying out Boyes for no reason other than a roster spot seems silly when Thornton is still on the team and he's yet to score a goal in a Panthers uniform.

Other than Boston, most East teams have improved (some significantly). With the roster as it is now it's likely we finish lower than we did this year.
Yeah, Thornton was my pick to buyout. It became a popularity contest I'm afraid. Thornton is well liked by mgt and ownership for his presence on the team and his work in the community. Tallon obviously wants a slot open for some kind of a possible move even if it never happens. Had to clear the slot with a buyout by midnight on the 30th or else the opportunity goes away.

If they had gotten Talbot, then Montoya also could have been bought out or shipped to Portland ala Ellis. The pursuit of Talbot cannot leave a good taste in the mouth of Lu or Montoya. I'm curious to see how it affect their play this year.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

come on.
Point being that Boyes was underpaid and only signed for one more year. Everyone is afraid that Tallon is doing this just to overpay someone (Beleskey/Williams/Ward), which would make no sense whatsoever.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Losing Boyes kind of hurts, and that was a nice contract. Seems a little foolish but more likely that they couldn't move Hayes and would rather work with him than Boyes. I can't imagine no one wanted Boyes at that price but whatever. This move has to be judged against what happens during the rest of the offseason before it can be qualified one way or the other. If they couldn't move him and had to make room for someone else of note, it may have been worth it.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Point being that Boyes was underpaid and only signed for one more year. Everyone is afraid that Tallon is doing this just to overpay someone (Beleskey/Williams/Ward), which would make no sense whatsoever.

but, it's not you or i who pay their salarys so why should we care? :sarcasm:
* yes this is a agrument used by the pro-bollands. i know, it's horrible *

seriously tho, if you look at it stricly on how it effects the team on the ice, i'd say it's no big loss which is why i'm surprised by all the tallon hate. it's not like he did a sweeney imo and i won't be asking for tallons head just yet. not until something acually happends (bad bickell contract or whatever) anyways.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
but, it's not you or i who pay their salarys so why should we care? :sarcasm:
* yes this is a agrument used by the pro-bollands. i know, it's horrible *

seriously tho, if you look at it stricly on how it effects the team on the ice, i'd say it's no big loss which is why i'm surprised by all the tallon hate. it's not like he did a sweeney imo and i won't be asking for tallons head just yet. not until something acually happends (bad bickell contract or whatever) anyways.

Its just a weird move in the vacuum. We don't know what is coming next or how Howden, Grimaldi, Trocheck are going to perform. They each got a year in the AHL, which is more than you can say for the Panthers previous to Tallon, but it still brings back memories of rushing Weiss, Bouwmeester, Horton to the NHL.

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
Boyes on Sportsnet 590

Was not expecting to be bought out, is still not sure why exactly. Hasn't talked to anyone in Fla yet.

Wouldn't have been surprised to see himself traded, but not bought out.

--

Just got an email saying he's bought out, no phone call. Really liked it here, thinks the team will be very good in the future, wishes the team luck.

Management was "good", Ownership was "awesome"

Last edited:

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Boyes on Sportsnet 590

Was not expecting to be bought out, is still not sure why exactly. Hasn't talked to anyone in Fla yet.

--

Just got an email saying he's bought out, no phone call. Really liked it here, thinks the team will be very good in the future, wishes the team luck.

that's no way to treat a guy like boyes imo. at least give him a call, sheesh :shakehead
i'm acually pretty upset by this

Jan 19, 2006
It's one of three possibilities:

1. Boyes was waived now to give him a chance to catch on to another team since Tallon knew Gallant would not give him ice time.

Can't imagine with our lack of depth at RW that Tallon would be so cavalier about releasing a reasonably priced asset.

2. Boyes was waived to make room for a veteran RW coming in via trade or UFA.

What we all hope.

3. Boyes was waived to save money.

What we all fear.

Boyes on Sportsnet 590

--

I think this revelation makes my option #1 less likely. If this was for Boyes' benefit, Tallon would have at least called him.

So that leaves "making room for a deal" or "cost cutting" as possibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad