Bozak needs to get replaced.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm not saying Bozak is a #1 centre, but, I would bet we'll regret it if and when he is playing for another NHL team!

MrMazola

Sep 15, 2008
I would remind people, that all typical teams that would be forking out over payments for UFAs, like everyone else, will be taking a 6 million dollar haircut. As such, precious few UFAs this year can expect to get their dream contracts (including Bozak.) Unless we can improve the team with someone better than him (as well as MacArthur) at the same price, what's the point in letting him walk?

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Nothing wrong with Bozak where he's playing now. We're winning games and at this time are in a solid playoff position. All teams have chicken little fans who think they know more then the guys running the team.

Put Bozak in Grabo's spot, Kadri in Bozak's spot, and Grabo in Kadri's spot.

Worth a go, and I think in that scenario, you have guys playing where they should.

We're a winning team right now so yea lets start switching everyone around to see if we can do worse.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Boz brings little to the table that warrants staying on this roster.

The thing that Stast could add to the #1 line is play making creativity to go with JVRs net presence and Kessels creative offensive style. We need a C that can create more scoring chances for Kessel.
I don't agree. It actually wouldn't be difficult to shut down such a line. All one has to do is box out JVR ( has been done) and cover Kessel.

How do I know? Stasts will be primarily passing to Kessel. He doesn't have a great shot either. Similarly Kessel really isn't necessarily a sniper either. He works best when in traffic. Once he's in position, he can retrieve the puck and score.

We need a guy that can create traffic. You know the Jeff Carters ( don't like his D game, though), Staals, Stamkos, etc. Grabovski would actually be quite fitting as well. Bozak is a pretty decent passer so it's not that's an issue.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He gets overplayed way too much but he's very underrated on this board. He's a very good 3rd line center/fringe 2nd line center, and simply put, there aren't exactly better options readily attainable- whether it be free agency or through trade.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I don't agree. It actually wouldn't be difficult to shut down such a line. All one has to do is box out JVR ( has been done) and cover Kessel.

How do I know? Stasts will be primarily passing to Kessel. He doesn't have a great shot either. Similarly Kessel really isn't necessarily a sniper either. He works best when in traffic. Once he's in position, he can retrieve the puck and score.

We need a guy that can create traffic. You know the Jeff Carters ( don't like his D game, though), Staals, Stamkos, etc. Grabovski would actually be quite fitting as well. Bozak is a pretty decent passer so it's not that's an issue.

Thats just flat out hilarious. Kessel may be partially rounding his one dimensional game into a more complete game but he is far from not being soft or defensively responsible. But to say he works best in traffic is just flat out hilarious, thanks for the chuckle.

19buds67

Feb 23, 2013
I'm not saying Bozak is a #1 centre, but, I would bet we'll regret it if and when he is playing for another NHL team!

let him go please! i dont think hes even nhl worthy! need some grit on that line. boyle from rangers comes to mind would be great between kezzel and jvr. colborne would also be better.

hockeyfanz*

Yup! sounds about right to me.

I'd be ok with Boz sticking around for 3rd ish/4th line money.

If paid accordingly, i'd be ok with him as my 4th line C and swing man.

There was a time in Bozie's tenure when I would have disagreed with this sentiment, but at them moment I am in the exact same spot as you. Id like him at 2 to 2.5 as a 3rd or 4th line player who could move up the lineup in cases of injuries...He is a useful player but seeing so much of him and with the best players is getting tiresome...I actually have never been a fan and only give him this much credit this season..LOL but he is also a decent trading chip...he may not be a Leaf for much longer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tyler Bozak is 12th in the NHL in Ice time, clearly RC likes what he sees, and uses Tyler 20:15 average mins a game. That's Pavel Datsyuk territory.

If we are going to replace him, better find someone to fill those mins on a regular shift, face-offs, penalty kills, and PP.

Clearly the coach sees value in Bozak to use him this much.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Bozak isn't a #1 offensively and thats not even close! However, he's excellent on the faceoffs which is key for puck possession, he isn't that bad of a playmaker, he's solid in his own end as well. I compare Bozak a lot to a guy like Rucchin or even Morrison, not know as an offensive #1 but very reliable defensively and gets the job done on the ice.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Thats just flat out hilarious. Kessel may be partially rounding his one dimensional game into a more complete game but he is far from not being soft or defensively responsible. But to say he works best in traffic is just flat out hilarious, thanks for the chuckle.
Who said his game is complete? He works best in traffic when the goalie's view is obstructed. Increase pressure by maximizing shoots at net, and Kessel will work quite well.

As said, he is a rather soft player. He is peripheral. However, if his linemates generate enough traffic in the opposition zone, he will thrive. That's why he blossomed in Boston. He doesn't have to bang in those situations. Just needs to get in position.

The problem nowadays is that Bozak is quite peripheral. He should be shooting a lot more. That would make him an offensive threat. I understand that he isn't Eric Staal, but his shot isn't that bad. If you pass to Kessel, he's going to be targeted. Minimize and he'll end up thriving. JVR isn't Corey Perry either so Bozak is going to have to minimize pressure against him as well.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He's not the only one.

Kevin MgGrath (Toronto Star) has been tweeting the last few days that he thinks Bozak's camp will try and use both the Grabo contract and the Getzlaf contract to try and get big money if he goes UFA.

Mirtle, whose rarely impressed with Bozak, has said a few times that he thinks Bozak will get overpaid by somebody.

He thinks, therefor it is?

I put very little faith in an argument based on what a media member 'thinks'. More often than not they are found to be talking out their nether regions.

As for Bozak bringing nothing to the roster, whether you believe he has a 200 ft game or not is opinion. Whether one believes 40 PTs is enough or not is irrelevant. The fact is, he DOES bring in 40 points per season, he does win an incredible amount of faceoffs, including many important ones.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Who said his game is complete? He works best in traffic when the goalie's view is obstructed. Increase pressure by maximizing shoots at net, and Kessel will work quite well.

As said, he is a rather soft player. He is peripheral. However, if his linemates generate enough traffic in the opposition zone, he will thrive. That's why he blossomed in Boston. He doesn't have to bang in those situations. Just needs to get in position.

The problem nowadays is that Bozak is quite peripheral. He should be shooting a lot more. That would make him an offensive threat. I understand that he isn't Eric Staal, but his shot isn't that bad. If you pass to Kessel, he's going to be targeted. Minimize and he'll end up thriving. JVR isn't Corey Perry either so Bozak is going to have to minimize pressure against him as well.

Never said anyone said his game is complete, what I said was that he is starting to round his one dimensional game into a more complete game but that he has a ways to go. At least he's started that game maturity.

I agree with your second paragraph and it is more explanatory then the hilarious notion that he works best in traffic as in the tough areas I took it to mean (like it usually does).

I concur Bozak should shoot more.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Considering that this is a Salary Cap NHL, I ask someone to tell me how many people in the NHL could hold their own on a 1st line and are only $1.5M cap hit for their team.

Seriously. Look up Centres making $2M or less. Rank Bozak against them. Compare him to top C's in the game, and now think that with the extra Cap space, you can afford to not just have Phil Kessel AND Tyler Bozak, but you have room for Orr/McClement/Komarov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad