Rumor: Boyle to NYI

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I thought the Isle's would be going hard for Matt Duchene to bolster their top 6 given the success they've had this season. I don't think this team is built to compete like this again next year, so IMO they should be swinging for the fences to compete with the big names on the Lightning, Leafs, Pens and Caps come playoff time.

To me, Boyle just doesn't add a ton to a teams top 9 outside of his steadiness. He's not going to be the piece to put a team over the top. I think the Islanders could really use some more production rather than depth.

I’m not sure if one has to do with the other.

I think the Islanders like Nelson/Barzal/Filppula/Cizikas down the middle and simply want some insurance, not a guy who’s going to bump one of them to wing/pressbox full time.

If anything, I think they’d be looking to acquire a top six winger, not a top six center, AND a guy like Boyle (or some other bottom six forward who can play center/wing and special teams).

Reactions: dano16

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
I thought the Isle's would be going hard for Matt Duchene to bolster their top 6 given the success they've had this season. I don't think this team is built to compete like this again next year, so IMO they should be swinging for the fences to compete with the big names on the Lightning, Leafs, Pens and Caps come playoff time.

To me, Boyle just doesn't add a ton to a teams top 9 outside of his steadiness. He's not going to be the piece to put a team over the top. I think the Islanders could really use some more production rather than depth.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Like we didn't hear enough about this for the first 20,30, & 40 games of the season.

Now we're on to being back to terrible next year.

Just keep moving the goal-post

Last edited:
Reactions: LowerHudson

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Smart move if they do it. Have him replace MDC and he can move to Center if one of them goes down. Can't have enough depth come the playoffs.

Not every move needs to be a home run.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Makes sense. Isles aren't in position to through in pick/prospect for high end rentals. Make a depth C move with Boyle and rock the chemistry and momentum this team has for playoffs

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
What happens when Ladd finally says he’s healthy ?
So you think the isles won't have any more injuries?

Depth never hurts.

I would be reluctant to give up a 2nd, a 3rd and a B prospect (maybe Mitch Vande-Sompel? good player but we have a D logjam) would be ideal.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Please god no.

tenor.gif

LowerHudson

Dec 18, 2017
Makes sense. Isles aren't in position to through in pick/prospect for high end rentals. Make a depth C move with Boyle and rock the chemistry and momentum this team has for playoffs

Exactly. Lou is not selling the farm for a rental. He'll take his shots at the big boys during the off-season.
Future is bright! No reason to go crazy.

Reactions: dood

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Don't think Shero is going to give Boyle away. Even though the Devils are going nowhere this year, Boyle is a glue kind of guy who the team probably wants to extend for another year or two. So I'm guessing if he gets traded, it's for no less than a second or a prospect that the Devils really like.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Problem is, Isles don't have their own second, third or fourth round pick, so trading Calgary's second would leave the Isles with just one pick in the top 124 picks, when they are supposed to still be building.

Unless one of the UFAs brings back some picks...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So you think the isles won't have any more injuries?

Depth never hurts.

I would be reluctant to give up a 2nd, a 3rd and a B prospect (maybe Mitch Vande-Sompel? good player but we have a D logjam) would be ideal.

For The record I LOVE Boyle. I’m just trying to be realistic. Yes, injuries Happen but you can’t predict them.

Reactions: dood

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Don't think Shero is going to give Boyle away. Even though the Devils are going nowhere this year, Boyle is a glue kind of guy who the team probably wants to extend for another year or two. So I'm guessing if he gets traded, it's for no less than a second or a prospect that the Devils really like.

Unless of course Boyle's 8-team list limits the Devils. Not everyone on his list will be looking to acquire him.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Boyle isn't some plug, he's actually a pretty good player. He has surprisingly good hands and has produced at a decent clip for NJ these past two years. He's even getting time on the PP and producing pretty well there.

The only issue is that NJ is a skating team and Boyle is too slow for the system. He's still a valuable guy to have, and everyone in the room loves and respects him. He's a phenomenal team mate and would be a big asset to any team at the deadline.

I actually wouldn't hate it if NJ kept him and brought him back next year, bad fit and all.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
prolly the same value as before, i know we gave up a mid second and a depth nhl forward, 2 years ago. value should be around the same.

Medic03

Apr 10, 2016
i go back and forth about this. On one hand I want Lou to go crazy and swing for the fences because they are doing great this year and to go for it, on the other I dont want anything too drastic and just see how it goes and make moves in the off season and not blow too much up now and sacrifice the future. Im so torn lol

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Boyle becomes a spare. Remember, after the deadline there is no player limit...

He’s scoring this year and he’s good on face offs which the isles desperately need. If we trade for him I don’t he’s just kept on the shelf as a spare. That’s my point.

Maybe the plan is to dick around with Ladd to the point where he wants to be traded or bought out. He’s probably impossible to trade unless we add an asset with him.

Last edited:

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
He’s scoring this year and he’s good on face offs which the isles desperately need. If we trade for him I don’t he’s just kept on the shelf as a spare. That’s my point.

Maybe the plan is to dick around with Ladd to the point where he wants to be traded or bought out. He’s probably unreadable unless we add an asset with him.
I honestly think he's just C insurance.
There is no one in the system that can help, and who knows if Nelson comes back down to earth or Fil just needs a break.
Having Boyle is a nice problem...

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Trotz recently gave an interview and described this isles retool as being in it's infancy.

5 months into Trotz/Lou's tenure ,I do not know why anyone would suggest the isles are a finished product and should be " going for it"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad