Rumor: Boyle to NYI

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

This is a rumor I've expected to crop up. Boyle would fill a center depth need for NYI & help stabilize the PK. He could play #3LW if NYI centers remain healthy.

What does it cost?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I was actually hoping the Flames would inquire about Boyle. Seems like he'd be a good guy to pick up around the TDL for a lot of teams.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This is such a Lou move.

To be fair, the Islanders don’t have any center depth beyond their top four centers, so it would make sense beyond Lamoriello just trading for players bottom six players he has traded for in the past.

These are the options at center that the team would use if an injury down the middle occured today...

Leo Komarov
Stephen Gionta (currently injured)
Tanner Fritz (“who?”, exactly my point)

At least Boyle can play wing while effectively when everyone is healthy, win faceoffs if called upon, and play on both special teams units (he actually has eight powerplay points this season which is a career high).

You could argue that there are better options, but you can’t argue that it would not address their needs in my opinion (and Boyle has 111 games of playoff experience). Personally, I’d rather see more skill acquired.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He's also a good guy, would love to add him to the team. Would enjoy his versatility and size. End of season if we sit guys for health reasons it would be amusing to see Martin-Boyle-Johnston.

Reactions: xECK29x

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
To be fair, the Islanders don’t have any center depth beyond their top four centers, so it would make sense beyond Lamoriello just trading for players bottom six players he has traded for in the past.

These are the options at center that the team would use if an injury down the middle occured today...

Leo Komarov
Stephen Gionta (currently injured)
Tanner Fritz (“who?”, exactly my point)

At least Boyle can play wing while effectively when everyone is healthy, win faceoffs if called upon, and play on both special teams units (he actually has eight powerplay points this season which is a career high).

You could argue that there are better options, but you can’t argue that it would not address their needs in my opinion (and Boyle has 111 games of playoff experience). Personally, I’d rather see more skill acquired.
I thought the Isle's would be going hard for Matt Duchene to bolster their top 6 given the success they've had this season. I don't think this team is built to compete like this again next year, so IMO they should be swinging for the fences to compete with the big names on the Lightning, Leafs, Pens and Caps come playoff time.

To me, Boyle just doesn't add a ton to a teams top 9 outside of his steadiness. He's not going to be the piece to put a team over the top. I think the Islanders could really use some more production rather than depth.

Reactions: Medic03

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He still has that Rangers stink on him. Never goes away.
If Barzel every pisses you off, we'll gladly take him a give him a quick shower.

I think most fans would feel differently about former rival players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad