Confirmed with Link: Boyle to Isles for 2015 5th round conditional draft pick. 4th if signed

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Would the Islanders be able to see Boyle on the ice or work him out? Or with the season over they can't do that?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If hes a bottom pairing defenseman then why did he lead SJ in icetime.

A question we were all also asking. Braun and Vlasic should have absolutely played more. Burns (now on defense) almost certainly would have played more. Stuart, Hannan, and Irwin are worse than Boyle. Boyle was way overplayed, and in fairness, I think it hurt his performance.

He'd be perfectly fine as a #5+top power play, on a team that has a fast 2nd pairing d-man, who is good defensively, to support him.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
If hes a bottom pairing defenseman then why did he lead SJ in icetime.

He was 3rd in ESTOI during the regular season and that was by design. McLellan spread the ice time among the top 9 forwards and the d-men for a reason.

He was the Sharks 4th best d-man this year and even though he has lost a step (and the concussion did a number on him) I still think he'd be a great pick up for the NYI or who ever signs him.

I've somehow managed to become a NYI fan over the years and I do hope he signs there. On top of being a fun team to watch I think with a good goalie (Halak), no more MacDonald and the progression of the young guys the Islanders can be a playoff team next year.

On a side note, to people who think getting a pick in 2015 is better because it's a deep draft...it's not that deep, none of them are. They would have just as good a chance of getting a NHL player in the 4th or 5th round in 2014 as they do in 2015, or any other year. That said, getting anything for a player who is going to be a UFA in 3 weeks is good.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Would the Islanders be able to see Boyle on the ice or work him out? Or with the season over they can't do that?

There's often a medical clearance that has to be completed before a contract is "finally" in place. (Recall that we traded McLaren but trade was rejected for his bad knee? And there have been requirements for some players to get through medical before they are officially a "new team".)

But Boyle's medical records have been transferred (or at least made available) to the Islanders.

I don't think in this case they have much need. His on ice performance is viewable from his Sharks games. (I think they really want his help in developing the Islanders D corps.)

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
Take that $6.6 mill saved, add 3.3M and offer RFA Subban a 10-year $100 M contract. :yo: GO LARGE!

I would love to see a Subban-Vlasic pairing.

I'm glad we were able to trade Boyle for a 5th round draft pick. I thought we would have let him walk for nothing in return.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
He's getting 8 plus with his new contract.

I'd give it to him, no question.

That's a franchise d-man right there. That's a face of the franchise type of player. Whatever you overpay him is well worth the impossibility of acquiring a player like that through other means.

The issue though is you would have to trade for his rights, which would gut the team, and we can't afford that at this juncture. We can't afford to give up 4 1sts either. It's not going to happen.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He was 3rd in ESTOI during the regular season and that was by design. McLellan spread the ice time among the top 9 forwards and the d-men for a reason.

He was the Sharks 4th best d-man this year and even though he has lost a step (and the concussion did a number on him) I still think he'd be a great pick up for the NYI or who ever signs him.

I've somehow managed to become a NYI fan over the years and I do hope he signs there. On top of being a fun team to watch I think with a good goalie (Halak), no more MacDonald and the progression of the young guys the Islanders can be a playoff team next year.

On a side note, to people who think getting a pick in 2015 is better because it's a deep draft...it's not that deep, none of them are. They would have just as good a chance of getting a NHL player in the 4th or 5th round in 2014 as they do in 2015, or any other year. That said, getting anything for a player who is going to be a UFA in 3 weeks is good.

Good point on the draft. Its hard to get excited since its not like we will be seeing these guys in teal any time soon barring a huge surprise. Its not like the NFL draft in which you see immediate dividends.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Whoever signs Boyle will be very disappointed with the player they get I fear. It's sad to see him decline but he is already 38 years old.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
Or Saad. We haven't had anyone outside of the 1st show up that quickly since Vlasic

Hertl was pretty quick only 1 year in Czech league. Granted he was a 1st rounder but was picked in the bottom half and to find a player like that in the bottom half of the 1st round is a steal. He probably would go top 5 if there was a redraft today.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Braun showed up when he was 24 and Demers was 22.

Oh. I was assuming quickly after they turned pro. So it only counts if the player joins the NHL club by 20...got it.

Guess the Sharks need to quit drafting out of the NCAA to catch up.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
My Shaw comment wasn't a testiment on bad drafting, moreso crazy good luck for Chicago.
Shaw was drafted in the fifth round and immediately made an impact that following season. That's not fair. :laugh:

Oh, I know.

I was more commenting that the Sharks have had several players that didn't require much time in the AHL to make an impact in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad