Boycott Opening Night

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Everyone around the league should boycott their home openers as a sign that the fans need to be appreciated and that they don't enjoy being treated that garbage. It would be awesome if the players played in front of an empty arena (if just for one game)!!

We really need try to put this in motion, and put it in place not just for the Sabres but all across the NHL. We need to spread this message and make it happen!

So please, DO NOT GO TO OPENING NIGHT!!

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Ugh. Stop it.

Dumbest idea ever. Opening night will be sold out.

A) You're either there taking in the return of hockey and loving the game
B) Pissing and moaning on the couch being a stink face while some other schlub is doing more for the game by taking his kid.

So I say, sit at home. Be a negative Nancy. There will be others who take your ticket and do more for the franchise and the game of hockey than you'll ever do with your little boycott.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
I'm pissed, but boycotts are useless. While I won't be giving a cent to the league as a whole until next season (at least), if you've already paid for those tickets, just go.

heartsabres*

Everyone around the league should boycott their home openers as a sign that the fans need to be appreciated and that they don't enjoy being treated that garbage. It would be awesome if the players played in front of an empty arena (if just for one game)!!

We really need try to put this in motion, and put it in place not just for the Sabres but all across the NHL. We need to spread this message and make it happen!

So please, DO NOT GO TO OPENING NIGHT!!

LAME! I am a sabres fan, HOCKEY IS BACK!!!!

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I can see that the "boycott" idea is not very popular, but I think it would be nice to send a message that first night. Its really the only way to let both sides know it is not acceptable to lose full or half seasons every 5-10 years.

Instead of "boycott" the first game, how about instead "Spend the first night at the bars"? The people that really suffered are the bars and restaurants that rely on the games for business. Instead of going to the game, go to a bar and show them your support instead of supporting the NHL.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
Sorry but no. I can't go to the first game but I could if I would. I'm like a starving man in the desert, I need hockey!!!

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
At least don't cheer or show up for the first period, but I know you guys won't do that.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
They've already got my money, so I'm going. If I can't go I'm selling my ticket, and the buyer is more than welcome to boycott.

However, I could totally get on board with a boycott of merchandise or concessions.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I doubt that Pegula wanted this lockout considering his willingness to spend money and love of hockey. Therefore, I see no reason to be mad at or punish the Sabres organization. I'll still gladly give them my money in exchange for something I enjoy. Do I wish I could boycott Bettman, though? Sure. But I'm not sure how one goes about doing that...

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
So you boycott game 1 but then go right back to normal starting with game 2?

That will show them....

At least it is something, what are you suggesting? It would be cool to see nobody there when they go back.

I don't think anyone could reasonably hold out for longer, so that's why I suggested just 1 game. If I thought people could do longer (I will do 2 years), I would suggest it.

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I doubt that Pegula wanted this lockout considering his willingness to spend money and love of hockey. Therefore, I see no reason to be mad at or punish the Sabres organization. I'll still gladly give them my money in exchange for something I enjoy. Do I wish I could boycott Bettman, though? Sure. But I'm not sure how one goes about doing that...

Agreed that it wasn't Pegula's fault, but it is to get back at the players and the NHL.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Ugh. Stop it.

Dumbest idea ever. Opening night will be sold out.

A) You're either there taking in the return of hockey and loving the game
B) Pissing and moaning on the couch being a stink face while some other schlub is doing more for the game by taking his kid.

So I say, sit at home. Be a negative Nancy. There will be others who take your ticket and do more for the franchise and the game of hockey than you'll ever do with your little boycott.

That'll show them. Run right back into their arms and let them do it to you again. Haha. Just don't cry when it happens again!!

I agree it probably will be sold out. Mostly because the fans can't control themselves.

At least I am trying to do something to prevent them from taking fans for granted.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
I understand the sentiment but the hockey deprived masses would never collectively go for it.

Personally, I don't see myself spending a dime on the NHL this year - this whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. That said, I'll still tune into each game.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
A barrage of negative signs held by fans, hanging on walls, hanging from upper decks would go much further in portraying a fans disgust. Especially if the signs were there every game in every arena for the entire rest of the season.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Meh, I won't be boycotting anything. I'll still buy tickets for away tilts vs the local teams and somewhere else we can make a weekend out of. Plain and simple, I like my Sabres hockey.

Do I expect signs/chants in most arenas? Certainly. Does somewhere get creative and display a soccer stadium tifo (ie. like photo below, but saying your message -- greed; what about us fans; you forget who really pays your salary; etc.) or stage a demonstration outside? I wouldn't be surprised.

2856617206_1.jpg

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
That'll show them. Run right back into their arms and let them do it to you again. Haha. Just don't cry when it happens again!!

I agree it probably will be sold out. Mostly because the fans can't control themselves.

At least I am trying to do something to prevent them from taking fans for granted.

I never did cry. And what exactly are we showing the players with an empty arena? It'll be like a practice, with just media? :confused:

They'll still get their money? Afterall, that is what its about. The money.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
A barrage of negative signs held by fans, hanging on walls, hanging from upper decks would go much further in portraying a fans disgust. Especially if the signs were there every game in every arena for the entire rest of the season.

This would also help as would a reduction in buying merchandise. I think anything that reduces the amount of money normally spent would go a long way (i.e. if you normally go to 10 games, now only go to 8).

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad