Boycott Opening Night

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Roughly 17k tickets a game are already bought and paid for.

Not attending doesn't take a dime out of people's pockets.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I never did cry. And what exactly are we showing the players with an empty arena? It'll be like a practice, with just media? :confused:

They'll still get their money?

Almost everyone cried for months, now everyone is willing to forgive and forget just like that, even though it is the 3rd time this has happened and the owners and players show no remore towards the fans.

I understand the fans are excited there is hockey again (I am too!), but I am still pissed they put us through this and not so willing to just move on.

In theory, if it was just players and the media it would be quite the visual display, in comparison with a sell-out, where all that it would prove is that Bettman was right, the fans are just puppets.

As for the money, you are right, for a lot of teams the tickets are already paid for. This works better for the lesser market teams where the tickets are not pre-bought, or even Ottawa. I'm not suggesting this is the only thing that people do to hit them in their wallet (I just didn't post it here). Obviously, reducing (or eliminating) the live games you see along with reducing the merchandise sales, will be huge.

I just prefer that we are not having all of these conversations again in 8-10 years (much better than 6 or 7!), but if the fans again show a willingness to flock back in droves, then the players/owners have no reason to care about the fans.

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I understand the sentiment but the hockey deprived masses would never collectively go for it.

Personally, I don't see myself spending a dime on the NHL this year - this whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. That said, I'll still tune into each game.

As the response I have gotten on here clearly shows. :laugh: It appears nothing will change and it was all just talk from those fans that said they won't put up with it.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Roughly 17k tickets a game are already bought and paid for.

Not attending doesn't take a dime out of people's pockets.

As I said in another post, this works a lot better in other cities than Buffalo (ones where there is a walk-up crowd). And you're right it won't hurt them in the pocketbook (there are other things we should do as well that will help), but it is a very visible display that the fans aren't impressed and give them a reason to worry, if just for one day.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Almost everyone cried for months, now everyone is willing to forgive and forget just like that, even though it is the 3rd time this has happened and the owners and players show no remore towards the fans.

I understand the fans are excited there is hockey again (I am too!), but I am still pissed they put us through this and not so willing to just move on.

In theory, if it was just players and the media it would be quite the visual display, in comparison with a sell-out, where all that it would prove is that Bettman was right, the fans are just puppets.

As for the money, you are right, for a lot of teams the tickets are already paid for. This works better for the lesser market teams where the tickets are not pre-bought, or even Ottawa. I'm not suggesting this is the only thing that people do to hit them in their wallet (I just didn't post it here). Obviously, reducing (or eliminating) the live games you see along with reducing the merchandise sales, will be huge.

I just prefer that we are not having all of these conversations again in 8-10 years (much better than 6 or 7!), but if the fans again show a willingness to flock back in droves, then the players/owners have no reason to care about the fans.

Sure, I'd like to prevent it never happening again but I don't think we have control over any of it. I feel jobbed as a fan and unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
It would be interesting if a movement grows around the entire league, with this being the plan:

In every building, for Game 1, at the first puck drop, all fans stand and boo for 1 minute.

A different form of a "moment of silence".

Send SOME kind of message that the fans are pissed about this, even if nothing really changes in terms of remaining fans, giving the NHL our money, and so on.

Don't just roll over and take it.

Sure, my "minute of expression of disgust" is meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it would be cool to see, especially if it was honored at all games in all buildings.

Anything beyond something like that in terms of fan solidarity will never happen.

And even my simple minute of standing and booing is unlikely to happen.

Still very much looking forward to the return of NHL games!

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Everyone has their own mindset but mine has always been that this is their business, as much as it bothers me to not see hockey. Now they've concluded their business and I'm ready to watch hockey. That doesn't make me a 'sucker', though perhaps if I felt differently 2 weeks ago and then dropped that feeling on a dime it might.

I empathize w/ and support anyone who engages in any kind of boycott stemming from the CBA bull, but I'll have no guilty conscience enthusiastically watching/attending any game I Can manage.

clumping platelets

I understand the sentiment but the hockey deprived masses would never collectively go for it.

Personally, I don't see myself spending a dime on the NHL this year - this whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth. That said, I'll still tune into each game.

My sentiments exactly..........I won't be going to any games this year unless I somehow get the ticket for free. I will not be buying any merchandise for a LONG time either. If I end up going to a game, I will be sure to go eat before the game and buy nothing at the game.

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
And when I get to the arena, I'm going to eat all of their free condiments and take all of their napkins and straws. When I watch games on TV and their sponsors commercial comes on I'm going to close my eyes, cover my ears, and yell.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I'm gonna watch every game but I refuse to buy any tickets , jerseys , hockey cards etc until next season.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Sure, I'd like to prevent it never happening again but I don't think we have control over any of it. I feel jobbed as a fan and unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it.

I think any display that is below your normal level of NHL support will add up if everyone has the same mentality (i.e. go to one or two less games, spend the money earmarked for that NHL jersey on something non-NHL related, etc.). Not a total cutback needed, just reductions. I think it will make a difference if everyone does this.

It worked in baseball when the fans didn't return. I'm not saying this will be the same but at least it might give them a reason to pause next time when they want to put our games on hold. And believe me there will be a 4th time. Just not in the short term, thankfully!

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I'm not going, I understand why you would want to boycott it and I'm not going to patronize you like everyone else is doing, but it won't really accomplish anything. People are still going to pay, this is basically something you do for yourself if you wish.

I will watch online via illegal streams!! :)

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I can see that the "boycott" idea is not very popular, but I think it would be nice to send a message that first night. Its really the only way to let both sides know it is not acceptable to lose full or half seasons every 5-10 years.

Instead of "boycott" the first game, how about instead "Spend the first night at the bars"? The people that really suffered are the bars and restaurants that rely on the games for business. Instead of going to the game, go to a bar and show them your support instead of supporting the NHL.

Don't worry - I've been doing my share where I live.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
That'll show them. Run right back into their arms and let them do it to you again. Haha. Just don't cry when it happens again!!

I agree it probably will be sold out. Mostly because the fans can't control themselves.

At least I am trying to do something to prevent them from taking fans for granted.

yes well trying move a building by pushing it is doing something too, but people just tend to look at you funny. If you actually want your voice heard then go to the people that broke Bettmen this time around, the sponsors. Get a pettition together and go after the NHL largest sponsors. The next time Advertising contracts are up, fan ire will be a negotiating point. That actually takes money from the NHL. Not 100 or 200 bucks a game buy hundreds of thousands of dollars. Get angry, fine. But take a business angle and go after something that actually matters.

JOHNBOY

BUFFALO SABRES
Sep 30, 2003
Denver NC
I plan on attending the game in Carolina and flying up to Buffalo for a game or two next three day weekend I get....

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
We all just love the sport, it's hard not watching it. I want to watch my team play. I can live without it but I don't want to.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
yes well trying move a building by pushing it is doing something too, but people just tend to look at you funny. If you actually want your voice heard then go to the people that broke Bettmen this time around, the sponsors. Get a pettition together and go after the NHL largest sponsors. The next time Advertising contracts are up, fan ire will be a negotiating point. That actually takes money from the NHL. Not 100 or 200 bucks a game buy hundreds of thousands of dollars. Get angry, fine. But take a business angle and go after something that actually matters.

Good idea. Thanks.

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
I decided that I won't buy any products from the NHL this year. This includes shirts, hats, etc....

It's a shame how both sides threated the fans. I know that my "action" won't change anything but at least I can say it isn't me who is throwing the money to an organisation (NHL) which doesn't care about the fans.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Socially conscious hockey fans send boycotted tickets my way...:laugh:

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Pegula and Ted are awesome. They've done so much for the community in the little time they've been here. While I may be pissed at the NHL(more-so the players than the owners), I'm not gonna take it out on a Sabres' organization that is revitalizing Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->