Confirmed with Link: Boychuk to Isles for picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I didn't want boychuk traded this year as I much prefer rolling with vets and really liked him as a player but there's a lot of doom and gloom here. Maybe it's because I think their cup window is longer and that before the season even starts people are talking as if this a wasted year.
I've read a bunch in other threads how spooner or Koko or knight should be on the team - 2nd round picks.

Bergeron, Krejci and Lucic were 2nds as well

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Boychuk's salary had to be moved today...

People have to stop and think 'why did they move Boychuk and not Bartowski to get better?'

Answer: to facilitate a move that requires a cap hit coming in. The Bruins were under the cap before the move.

Now what if some of these picks, one of the top prospects (Khokhlachev, Spooner, Fraser) and a roster player are now moved to bring in the 1st line right-winger? Is that not an upgrade to the team to have a 1st line RW over Boychuk?

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards 1m1 minute ago
#FlaPanthers Dale Tallon says he was in "serious negotiations" w/ Chicago and Boston re: Leddy and Boychuk but 'it didn't make sense for us'

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Do you know something?

Otherwise I don't see why that hypothetical makes me feel better.

And I have consistently said I'm not worried about wingers, because they ate always available in-season.

Defensemen are not.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
If they are giving up on Loui being the first line winger already he should have been moved instead. So no, that scenario doesn't make me feel better. That would mean our third line wingers were 7.5 against the cap. Horrible management.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Sad day.

I thought last year we were lacking at least 1 top 4. Seidenberg went down and I thought that we were lacking 2 top 4.

I have problem understanding CBA and cap issue and maybe this is part of a long plan to bring up a tough fast winger... but man Johnny B!

The guy was rarely injured, tough, big. I always was confident in Chia and still believe in him but I don't like this move.

For me it's a sad day.

CausewayLegends

Jul 5, 2013
Can someone explain why we wouldn't look at trading Campbell and Bartkowski instead of Boychuk?

Assuming the top 3 lines are pretty much set. Kelly will be on the team. That's pretty much a given. So even though it's not ideal to pay a 4th centre 3m - we're a little stuck here.

Campbell is a fine player - but we have numerous players who can kill penalties and honestly - he plays 12mins a game, minutes that Kelly could easily play. And, we're probably going to lose him anyway.

Bartkowski is a decent player. But expendable in my opinion.

For under 500k savings - we could have kept Boychuk, and traded a 6/7D and fourth line centre.

And, with the Bruins recent draft history and reluctance to play young players - those two 2nd round picks are not exactly appealing after losing Boychuk.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

People have to stop and think 'why did they move Boychuk and not Bartowski to get better?'

Answer: to facilitate a move that requires a cap hit coming in. The Bruins were under the cap before the move.

Now what if some of these picks, one of the top prospects (Khokhlachev, Spooner, Fraser) and a roster player are now moved to bring in the 1st line right-winger? Is that not an upgrade to the team to have a 1st line RW over Boychuk?

IF that happens, then we'll see. Color me skeptical.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

Bingo.
Chiarelli, at his press conference today: "I look at this a little bit globally. This may be one in the series of two or three steps throughout the course of the year, and I wish I could do everything at once."

OneStepCloser

Feb 17, 2009
Boston
Understand the logic behind this deal and keep trying to tell myself these picks could turn out to be something.

But to get this gut punch right before the regular season kicks off just sucks. It's going to be quite visible what he meant to this team all season long without him on the ice. And while I expect to see the B's in the playoffs I feel this makes a deep run a lot less likely. Sad day to be a B's fan. We'll miss ya Johnny Rocket! And I'm still wearing your jersey to games this season!

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
So....if it is during the course of the year, doesn't that imply it didn't have to be today?

I mean, if the deal had a timestap of today why wouldn't the other move be today or tomorrow? If he has the next step already set up why wouldn't it be almost immediately? Why would you make this move without knowing the next one?

I think he just means, "This allows us to make more moves, which we plan on," not "something else is coming."

I think he is going to evaluate, which he loves, and then try to fix whatever isn't good enough.

Unfortunately I now believe that will include our defense, which will be very hard to fix.

This team will be looking for a Johnny Boychuk to trade for all season. A guy they can trust to play top 4 minutes in the post-season.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I mean, if he needed to be traded today, the next move should be imminent. He wouldn't be talking over the season. He probably wouldn't have even had a press conference today. No need to. Wait for the other shoe to drop.

I think this is all about being afraid that Loui Eriksson is not the player they expected.

That is the only thing that makes sense. They are petrified he is a 3rd liner, so they are planning on needing to make a move. And that sucks if that is the case.

Again, wingers are always available for trades. Always. They constantly move during the season and at the deadline.

acr*

Tough choice for Chia to make this move. There are too many dudes in contract years over the next 2 seasons. Getting Johnny re-signed would have meant someone else would be out later, possibly a guy like Lucic. It is a tough break for Johnny. I hope he enjoys his year on the Isle and gets a well earned pay day in the off season, wherever he wants to go.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I mean, if he needed to be traded today, the next move should be imminent. He wouldn't be talking over the season. He probably wouldn't have even had a press conference today. No need to. Wait for the other shoe to drop.

I think this is all about being afraid that Loui Eriksson is not the player they expected.

That is the only thing that makes sense. They are petrified he is a 3rd liner, so they are planning on needing to make a move. And that sucks if that is the case.

Again, wingers are always available for trades. Always. They constantly move during the season and at the deadline.

I think so too :(

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Great points as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad