Confirmed with Link: Boychuk to Isles for picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I have to assume 2nd's will be the currency du jour at this year's trade deadline.

The question is, what deadline acquisition would make dealing JB worth it?

My guess is they'll get by just fine defensively with a group of Chara, Hamilton, Seid's, Krug, Bart, McQuaid and Miller but the Eriksson as #1RW experiment is going to fizzle and they'll need to plug that hole.

Wingers are the easiest thing to trade for in season. Could have done it without these picks.

Trading for a defenseman proved impossible last year, I guess.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Jesus. I've been a fan of Chia but I can't imagine looking at this off season and thinking "yeah, he handled the off season well and put us in a great position to go at the cup this season".

The only good move he's made has been to sign Krug and Smith to those contracts and that was a situation where they had no leverage.

Right now we are a weaker team offensively and defensively. If you seriously can't see that now, don't worry, you will soon enough. We have somehow managed to become softer without actually getting faster which is incredible.

Our response to an early playoff bounce is to ice a weaker version of the same team and hope for better results.

With 2 excellent centers available in Providence we're going to go ahead and ice the same 5 centers as last year, two of which are overpaid in our bottom 6.

In order to balance the books we just lost Boychuk for prospects. Something I was assured wouldn't happen. Meanwhile Kelly and Campbell are both on the roster.

The team, as it stands, is not Stanley Cup caliber. That is not okay in a Stanley Cup window and it's not okay after we traded Seguin because he wasn't ready now. How do you think he'll look in 2016? Because right now, that's what we seem to be looking ahead to.

We are not set up to tolerate the injuries that will come. There are so many question marks and holes on this team.
It's going to take a huge deadline to get this team in good shape.

The ****ing cherry on top is when we use some of Boychuk's space to sign Gagne while they wring their hands over whether Spooner should get a roster spot.

This.

jdz

May 22, 2013
No Boychuk or Thornton. Lost a lot of toughness this offseason. Might not have been stud hockey players but both warriors.

OrreyKroog

May 10, 2014
What do you think of him? How did he look in the playoffs?

Was exposed a bit in the playoffs. Much like a guy we just traded has been at times. I'm not saying he's the second coming but he has potential to be a very solid NHL dman. Anyone looking rationally at this situation should be able to admit that.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Was exposed a bit in the playoffs. Much like a guy we just traded has been at times. I'm not saying he's the second coming but he has potential to be a very solid NHL dman. Anyone looking rationally at this situation should be able to admit that.

Ah, so if I don't agree with you I'm being irrational.

I see a low IQ player thrust into a role he was ill-prepared for whose weaknesses outweigh his strengths. I think this system and this goaltender makes lots of defenceman look better, but that in the post-season systems can't do that and skill/ability are amplified, or the converse, a lack of it becomes apparent.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Even with the Isles acquiring Leddy and Boychuk, I still don't think they will be making the playoffs. Better than last year, yes, but they aren't Stanley Cup caliber yet. Truthfully, I don't see Boychuk signing an extension with them, even if the Isles do well this season.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I don't like the deal but I feel the return is fair value, just the wrong time. I believe were weaker today than we were yesterday, we needed a return to help us remain a contender. Boychuk is a warrior and will help the Islanders immensely. I do understand why PC made the deal, Boychuk is going to price himself out of range and theirs Krug, Hamilton and Smith all ahead of him in the pecking order but why now? Boychuk was a goner at the end of the yr but making the deal now, is almost saying their ok with not being a legitimate contender this yr but if one of Trotman, Morrow, Miller or even Bart steps up and fills that role, the Brass will look like geniuses, but I still feel like their pissing on are Backs and telling us its raining.

Lets see if PC can improve the Bruins at the deadline or hopefully earlier, before I truly judge the trade, but when Douglass Murray cost two 2nds at the deadline it makes me wonder, what price the Bruins might have to pay to add a legit top 4 defender which Murray is not.

Hopefully the Bruins don't miss a beat, Philly struggles and the Bruins continue their mastery with getting gems in the 2nd rnd.

Last edited:

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I'm worried by Chiarelli's confidence in Bartkowski. The last time he played NHL games he was horrible. Horrible. Make no mistake about it. Go back to the playoff GDTs.

I can understand thinking any young guy will get better, but to say he is "coming into his own" feels like he was watching a different player altogether.

I'm actually stunned he is going to be on this team. Figured with Hamilton and Krug and Miller the tolerance for young defensemen and their growing pains was at its limit.

OrreyKroog

May 10, 2014

I see a low IQ player thrust into a role he was ill-prepared for whose weaknesses outweigh his strengths. I think this system and this goaltender makes lots of defenceman look better, but that in the post-season systems can't do that and skill/ability are amplified, or the converse, a lack of it becomes apparent.

No you said he's an 11. That's irrational because I think you might believe that. Literally the things your saying there could be used for JB. Unless you think he never had some rough playoff games/moments. Since you're rational about this though you surely don't believe that.

tragos

Jan 7, 2013
I'm worried by Chiarelli's confidence in Bartkowski. The last time he played NHL games he was horrible. Horrible. Make no mistake about it. Go back to the playoff GDTs.

I can understand thinking any young guy will get better, but to say he is "coming into his own" feels like he was watching a different player altogether.

I'm actually stunned he is going to be on this team. Figured with Hamilton and Krug and Miller the tolerance for young defensemen and their growing pains was at its limit.

If we had the depth we should, that tolerance would be at its limit. Chia's got to know this.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I didn't want boychuk traded this year as I much prefer rolling with vets and really liked him as a player but there's a lot of doom and gloom here. Maybe it's because I think their cup window is longer and that before the season even starts people are talking as if this a wasted year.
I've read a bunch in other threads how spooner or Koko or knight should be on the team - 2nd round picks.

OrreyKroog

May 10, 2014

I guess you forget that Boychuck was benched in 2011 for making a string of low IQ plays. That's fine it was a while ago and isn't this year so it's easy to say this is just a terrible move. I'd like to think that Bart, who had a similar year that boychuck did at the same age could grow and become a better player. We'll have to see but in this system I think there's a good chance for it.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I guess you forget that Boychuck was benched in 2011 for making a string of low IQ plays. That's fine it was a while ago and isn't this year so it's easy to say this is just a terrible move. I'd like to think that Bart, who had a similar year that boychuck did at the same age could grow and become a better player. We'll have to see but in this system I think there's a good chance for it.

I don't think there is any chance that Bart can bring what Boychuck would this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad