Injury Report: Boychuck out 3-4 weeks

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Dear lord no. I do not want Sbisa stirring from his seat.
Hickey at least has some hockey IQ. Sbisa has none.

I think with either HIckey or Sbisa we are going to feel the effect.

Hickey is small and takes way too many risks
Sbisa is slow

I know there are people coveting Aho but he is a LHD and small... what about Burroughs... isn't he more of a stay at home type who can possibly play with Toews if we have to move Mayfield up to play with Leddy? Burroughs also plays on the right side

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

Sbisa is slow

I know there are people coveting Aho but he is a LHD and small... what about Burroughs... isn't he more of a stay at home type who can possibly play with Toews if we have to move Mayfield up to play with Leddy? Burroughs also plays on the right side
Hickey is small and slow. Once someone gets past him, it is up to the goalie.

Reactions: MJF

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Sbisa is slow

I know Lou & Trotz took in the recent Sound Tigers playoff game,but it would be a shocker if they sat a healthy Hickey and went with a Bridgeport call up.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I know Lou & Trotz took in the recent Sound Tigers playoff game,but it would be a shocker if they sat a healthy Hickey and went with a Bridgeport call up.

I agree it would take a big slap in Hickey's face to do that and that is probably why they can't do that... looking at the players, Burroughs seems like what is needed for the Washington series, we could get away with Aho in the Carolina matchup and drive everyone nuts with the 2 Aho's

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I agree it would take a big slap in Hickey's face to do that and that is probably why they can't do that... looking at the players, Burroughs seems like what is needed for the Washington series, we could get away with Aho in the Carolina matchup and drive everyone nuts with the 2 Aho's
Of the contracts Lou signed, this is among the worst.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Given the choice of Hickey, Sbisa or ahlers Aho/Burroughs....I would rather go with Hickey . NHL vet,who has had some playoff experience and success

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Will we be there?

I think we are going to be there, the only team that scares me is Boston and they are still one game away from death. I think Vegas and Nashville on the other side too, but they are both one game away from death.

Issue with Hickey will be mistakes and how infectious they become... when you watch the teams that are losing it is having one defenseman that is error prone and then suddenly the whole d-corps are turning over the puck etc.... Leddy and Mayfield reduced their mistakes in the Pitt series but if you put a guy like Hickey out there, then they will start to play more careless. Part of the turnaround with Toews was that he was instantly good and part of it was that Hickey was off the ice.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Everyone makes mistakes. I'm much more comfortable with having Hickey as the #7 Dman (and playing in a situation like this) as opposed to an unproven rookie.

I think he has to be option A, no matter what, but if he has a high error rate and gets physically abused out there, we have to see what is down on the farm... I'd say it is a 99% lock that Hickey plays, and it is a Herculean task to fill Boychuk's shoes whoever is put in that role

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I think he has to be option A, no matter what, but if he has a high error rate and gets physically abused out there, we have to see what is down on the farm... I'd say it is a 99% lock that Hickey plays, and it is a Herculean task to fill Boychuk's shoes whoever is put in that role
I agree that if he struggles he will probably sit. But I don't think he will be expected to fill Boychuk's shoes. Everyone will have to step up. Hickey will be on the bottom pairing and will most likely see the least amount of ice time among all defensemen.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
But an error prone Hickey could affect the whole d-corps like it did earlier in the season

I know Hickey has warts, is gonna make mistakes. But, Sbisa is even worse and Hickey at least brings nhl playoff experience that Aho/Burroughs do not.

Gotta pick your poison.

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
Hickey is a big drop off from any of the top 6.
But we should be thankful he is our number 7. There is a shit load worse out there.

Having said that, if he fails miserably, which I don't think he will, I wonder if they consider someone from the A instead of Sbisa...

Reactions: MJF

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I agree that if he struggles he will probably sit. But I don't think he will be expected to fill Boychuk's shoes. Everyone will have to step up. Hickey will be on the bottom pairing and will most likely see the least amount of ice time among all defensemen.

If he gets caught deep pinching in, and we give up some odd man rushes, we will start to seem like the Pens in no time... that is the issue with Hickey and why he should be moved to forward next season.

Look at how reckless Jack Johnson played for Pittsburgh and before you knew it Dumoulin and Schultz were doing the same thing

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
If he gets caught deep pinching in, and we give up some odd man rushes, we will start to seem like the Pens in no time... that is the issue with Hickey and why he should be moved to forward next season.

Look at how reckless Jack Johnson played for Pittsburgh and before you knew it Dumoulin and Schultz were doing the same thing

Hickey is not moving to forward...

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
My guess is that Lou/Trotz were in BP to see who they might add to the roster if BP's season ends before ours. Or who might be called up in case of injuries.

Reactions: eoin92

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
I think we are going to be there, the only team that scares me is Boston and they are still one game away from death. I think Vegas and Nashville on the other side too, but they are both one game away from death.

Issue with Hickey will be mistakes and how infectious they become... when you watch the teams that are losing it is having one defenseman that is error prone and then suddenly the whole d-corps are turning over the puck etc.... Leddy and Mayfield reduced their mistakes in the Pitt series but if you put a guy like Hickey out there, then they will start to play more careless. Part of the turnaround with Toews was that he was instantly good and part of it was that Hickey was off the ice.

Exact three teams I fear the most also. Washington is always a concern also, but the Oshie injury really has to hurt their long-term chances this year.

I think Hickey will be fine. We all know not to expect perfection, but let's not overrate the job Boychuk was doing out there either. I love the guy, but the amount of times he just flings it down the ice for icing when he has an easy outlet pass is just infuriating. Not quite as bad as the Hickey turnovers, but not ideal either. The big thing we will miss is Boychuk's physical play. They really don't have a replacement for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad