Injury Report: Boychuck out 3-4 weeks

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
ughh def not great losing manchuk, but I think the lil hickster will do alright filling in...........

but if I see #4 on the ice, getting thrashed in the D-zone along the half-wall, causing the isles to get hemmed in for an extended period, I'm going to go mental.

Reactions: blinkman360

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Right. That's why I thought it was an ankle injury. This guy, a doctor, thinks it's a broken fibula:

...But in reading about it that seems more of an 8-12 week healing process. I will say that Boychuk is a warrior so as soon as he can get on the ice, he will.

No, I had a non-displaced hairline fracture of mine, and while it hurt to the touch I could still skate and walk on it as it is a non-weight bearing bone. The fibula's purpose it to provide a structure for the internal items like veins to have some support to hold on to. If he wants, he can play on it - but if it gets displaced with another hit then he's out for months.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
He was beyond dreadful his last game. And i used to be a hickey apologist.
His last game? The dude sat out for a number of games prior to that...a healthy scratch, which was deserved, but he was scratched...as in no game action. So, he sucked. OK. I think you'll see that Trotz will play him. There are professionals that know more than us and Trotz will feel as though he is the best option.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think Sbisa is the guy who should get the minutes, he is not great, but he is a RHD, and I think he can play with Leddy.
I wouldn't be opposed but all this talk about needing experienced NHlers is nauseating. Toews plays like a five year vet and is already the third best D-man on the team.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
The discussion in here is nuts. No team, NO TEAM, wants their #7 dman in the playoffs. That said, it is laughable that people think Hickey is the worst #7 dman in the league. Hickey is probably one of the best #7 Dmen in the league. People talking about Sbisa? Sbisa? Is it because he is "bigger" than Hickey? That guy was 100% trash in every game he played here, also trash before he got here. Throw in Aho? Because he is so much more physical than Hickey, is much bigger than Hickey, and wont be pushed around and hemmed in like Hickey will be?
Again, no one wants your 7th Dman in in the playoffs, but people are off the f***ing rails with this Sbisa and Sidenburg talk.

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
The discussion in here is nuts. No team, NO TEAM, wants their #7 dman in the playoffs. That said, it is laughable that people think Hickey is the worst #7 dman in the league. Hickey is probably one of the best #7 Dmen in the league. People talking about Sbisa? Sbisa? Is it because he is "bigger" than Hickey? That guy was 100% trash in every game he played here, also trash before he got here. Throw in Aho? Because he is so much more physical than Hickey, is much bigger than Hickey, and wont be pushed around and hemmed in like Hickey will be?
Again, no one wants your 7th Dman in in the playoffs, but people are off the ****ing rails with this Sbisa and Sidenburg talk.
Sbisa or Seidenberg are not an option... I don't know why it's even a discussion.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think Sbisa is the guy who should get the minutes, he is not great, but he is a RHD, and I think he can play with Leddy.

He hasn't played in a game for months, and he was significantly worse than Hickey when both were playing regularly.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
This thread reminds me of the adage, "Depth is great until you have to use it." That said, when it comes to 7th defensemen, you aren't going to do much better than Thomas "Overtime" Hickey. I just hope the old Hickey returns. Also, it would be nice if we could get home ice and give him the easier match ups.

Reactions: IslandersGER

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If we face the Caps, who gets the job of blocking Ovechkin on the PK? Boychuk relished that assignment.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He hasn't played in a game for months, and he was significantly worse than Hickey when both were playing regularly.

I think HIckey just takes too many risks and we don't need that right now. Sbisa is less likely to take the risks that Hickey takes... Seidenberg would be worse than both... not sure if we really should throw a novice out there, you can do that with forwards not so sure with dmen

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
We’ll see him sooner.

He’s already almost had a week of recovery, they tend to overestimate these projections; however, depending on the type and severity of the injury, the warrior will return by gs 2-4. JMHO.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think HIckey just takes too many risks and we don't need that right now. Sbisa is less likely to take the risks that Hickey takes... Seidenberg would be worse than both... not sure if we really should throw a novice out there, you can do that with forwards not so sure with dmen
That's BT's job.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Sbisa can't skate, at all. He'll be torched by the speed of either team we play.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Sbisa can't skate, at all. He'll be torched by the speed of either team we play.

Its obviously Hickey as the next man up. The question becomes what happens if/when we need another Dman? If its one game, I'm sure it goes to Sbisa. But if it looks like we need another D-man for the duration, I wonder if Aho gets the look. It seems like BT/LL prefer the experience but if we need an injection of skating, I hope they consider Aho.

Its pretty telling that a Stanley Cup Finalist starting Dman under the age of 30 didn't get a pro contract offer this past off season. You'd think that all those factors would lead to some type of offer, just on principle. I'm fine with him warming our press box, but I don't ever want to see him on the ice.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Its obviously Hickey as the next man up. The question becomes what happens if/when we need another Dman? If its one game, I'm sure it goes to Sbisa. But if it looks like we need another D-man for the duration, I wonder if Aho gets the look. It seems like BT/LL prefer the experience but if we need an injection of skating, I hope they consider Aho.

Its pretty telling that a Stanley Cup Finalist starting Dman under the age of 30 didn't get a pro contract offer this past off season. You'd think that all those factors would lead to some type of offer, just on principle. I'm fine with him warming our press box, but I don't ever want to see him on the ice.

You're exactly right. He's under 30, just went to the cup finals, is making peanuts, and lost a starting job at the beginning of the year to guys with much less experience.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dear lord no. I do not want Sbisa stirring from his seat.
Hickey at least has some hockey IQ. Sbisa has none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad