Bowman needs to be fired tonight

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
My original reply was to AD's assertion that it was time to fire Q because he had 3 bad years. I'm going to assume this season isn't 1 of those 3, small sample size and whatnot, so that means he thinks Q underachieved in 2016 and 2017. One Goal was a great marketing campaign, but I simply don't agree that a 1st round exit means the season was a failure. I'm totally with you that not all 16 playoff teams are legit threats to win 4 rounds (personally I think it's around half), but sometimes you play 1 of the other legit teams in the 1st round and lose because you didn't get the breaks, or you just simply didn't play well enough. It doesn't mean the season was a complete failure. If you're telling me the 2016 and 2017 teams had no legit chance to win the Cup, then OK, I disagree. And if anyone is saying that Q's coaching and management style were good enough to win a Cup in 2015 but held us back in 2016 and 2017 to the point where we weren't even legitimate contenders, that's a head-scratcher for me.

Last season was a failure. This season is almost certainly going to be a failure. But I also agree with what you said in another post in this thread - regardless of who's coaching this is not a playoff team. So fire Q, don't fire Q, it's all the same to me. I don't think we'll be a contender anytime soon so his firing would have happened eventually anyway. It's great to take the optimistic approach to failed seasons, but sometimes high draft picks are like a birdie on 18 after a bad round - keeps you coming back but doesn't mean as much as you'd like it to about how the next round will go.

I guess I assumed that the people who are happy that Q is gone expected some better results with this roster. Is it too soon to make the call that it's not going to happen this year? I don't think so. Would it have been different if JC had all of training camp to install his way? I highly doubt it.

And I do appreciate your attempt to explain the complaints with Q's puck possession system. If I understand you correctly, you're just saying the puck should always move forward in the D zone. When I think of the great 10-year run, I don't think of the forwards all hanging out up high and lots of stretch passes. Instead, I recall the quick breakouts up the middle from nifty D passes to centers in our zone who then moved the puck quickly up to their wings. I haven't noticed a league-wide shift to just get the heck out of the zone without any D-to-D passing but I'll try to watch the better teams closer.

while i am or was a big supporter of Q, i will be the one to admit that Q is completely innocent in this saga. as i was said, is it fair that the FO is somewhat painting Q was at fault. i came to this conclusion by his abrupt firing. this blame goes higher than Q.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think Stan has done mostly a crappy job the last several years. Probably most things since the Panarin signing - other than some draft selections have not worked out too well. This latest Strome trade smells a bit like the Runblad trade to me. Stan latching on to a former top prospect that probably won't amount to much.

I think if he got fired right now, it would certainly be justified. And I don't buy this - he deserves to run with his own coach stuff. He's been GM for almost 10 years. He's had plenty of time to put his own people in place.

That said, however unlikely, next July we could have Panarin and Hughes in the fold. Maybe he'll even find a way to offload the Seabrook or Toews boat anchor contracts? Combine with the upcoming defense prospects, and we could see a Pittsburgh-like revival of this thing.

If I was Rocky, I'd tell John McDonough and/or Stan that things must be showing the appearance of turning around before the upcoming draft or he is gone. And for that to happen, it would likely require a lot of luck - be it winning the draft lottery or finding a sucker to take one of the bad contracts.

i respectfully disagree with this statement .... no matter what, his job was to continue in fixing this team to compete...... regardless of whether it was his people or not.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Stan needs to move at the very least Seabs, Keith, and Crow to land Panarin, sign our younger guys to new deals, and either land a stud FA d man or trade for one.
you make a good point, but i believe that the team can succeed with those 3 salary and still get Pan. however i do agree about the ability to sign other FA.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Bowman is probably a great GM to have for this team going forward honestly. He seems to click well with his scouting staff. Did he **** up with seabrook yes he sure did. I think he might be the best GM going forward though. I would at least like to see how Strome/perlini pan out before considering a move.

SB is safe for now. I think McD and company have made it quite clear that he will be around for a while yet.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
SB is safe for now. I think McD and company have made it quite clear that he will be around for a while yet.

Q had to go, it was time.

That being said, there was a narrative spun here that putting JC in charge would launch this team back into contention. Maybe it happens next year, but the narrative was wrong and that is where a lot of this negativity toward Stan is coming from IMO. It shouldn’t be a surprise this is where we are at.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I think people are looking at the Schmaltz for Strome and Perlini deal the wrong way...

The real deal was Schmaltz for Strone Perlini and the cap space saved by not having to extend Schmaltz for $5 to 6 million per ..

Had Schmaltz kept to a 60 points pace they still would have had to extend him 9ver $6 mil a year..That he was not successful with us this year probably made the risk on extending him even on a bridge for $4 million a year too high to contemplate against using such savings on going after a top proven Ufa star instead ..This all in on Panarin or Stone this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: migi

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I think people are looking at the Schmaltz for Strome and Perlini deal the wrong way...

The real deal was Schmaltz for Stone Perlini and the cap space saved by not having to extend Schmaltz for $5 to 6 million per ..

Had Schmaltz kept to a 60 points pace they still would have had to extend him 9ver $6 mil a year..That he was not successful with us this year probably made the risk on extending him even on a bridge for $4 million a year too high to contemplate against using such savings on going after a top proven Ufa star instead ..This all in on Panarin or Stone this summer.

that is an interesting way to flip this, one that i haven't thought of. however there is other trades out there that can bring in the same results.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Q had to go, it was time.

That being said, there was a narrative spun here that putting JC in charge would launch this team back into contention. Maybe it happens next year, but the narrative was wrong and that is where a lot of this negativity toward Stan is coming from IMO. It shouldn’t be a surprise this is where we are at.

I don't think anyone seriously thought that JC could make an impact right away. It would be completely unreasonable to think that. That's why we have the JC thread to track the progress he is making. To date, other than juggling some lines, it hasn't been much - it's going to take some time for JC to put his stamp on this team..

vshun

Sep 21, 2016
I wonder if situation is unfixable at this point for the next 7-10 years, till contracts run out and then a few years to build somethign new.
Problem is not just terrible defense all-around or lack of depth on offense after trading capable third liners (like Vinnie or Hartman) or second liners (TT, Schmaltz), or vets who either gave up or have no will to compete.

Elephant in the room is that Stan did not get a young goaltender who is groomed to take over in a year or two from Crawford. Teams like Tampa groomed Vasilevsky to play after Bishop for a while, Nashville is grooming now Sauros to play after Rinne is gone, Caps have Samsonov drafted though Holtby can still play for some years, Ducks groomed Gibson after Anderson. Having a good goalie is a prerequisite for going back to playoffs. Very short sighted approach to just keep relying on Crawford forever.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I don't think anyone seriously thought that JC could make an impact right away. It would be completely unreasonable to think that. That's why we have the JC thread to track the progress he is making. To date, other than juggling some lines, it hasn't been much - it's going to take some time for JC to put his stamp on this team..

Agreed and I also agree with what you’ve been saying about JC taking the gloves off. The situation has a substitute teacher vibe, but I’m encouraged by his recent comments. Time to get to the dirty work of turning this club around.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sorry for the typo .I meant for Perlini and Strome but in any case the money saved in not extending Schmaltz risking that he would hit a high ceiling is to be used to go all in on Panarin or Mark Stone (if STONE decides to also not re-sign in Ottawa to try the Ufa market.

Remember too that they signed Brandon Hagel (currently 5th in WHL scorong) who they see as competing for a top 6 or top 9 wing spit. SCHULTZ
AND he would be on ELC cheap.
So Schmaltz really not needed going forward unless he could have grabbedvthec2C spit. .which he failed to convince anyone he could.

Give me Panarin or Stone + Hagel any day over extending Schmaltz as a winger ..

Reactions: migi

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I wonder if situation is unfixable at this point for the next 7-10 years, till contracts run out and then a few years to build somethign new.
Problem is not just terrible defense all-around or lack of depth on offense after trading capable third liners (like Vinnie or Hartman) or second liners (TT, Schmaltz), or vets who either gave up or have no will to compete.

Elephant in the room is that Stan did not get a young goaltender who is groomed to take over in a year or two from Crawford. Teams like Tampa groomed Vasilevsky to play after Bishop for a while, Nashville is grooming now Sauros to play after Rinne is gone, Caps have Samsonov drafted though Holtby can still play for some years, Ducks groomed Gibson after Anderson. Having a good goalie is a prerequisite for going back to playoffs. Very short sighted approach to just keep relying on Crawford forever.
while i like your post, i really think that the team really can turn it around rather quicker than org thought of. the biggest problem going into the off season and into next yr season is, the gaping hole that is at a top pairing d-men. now this is with the idea that they go out and get Pan.

ref the goalies..... my only question is the young goalies in the system right now, is anyone of them will be ready to take over when the next season starts ??

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
My original reply was to AD's assertion that it was time to fire Q because he had 3 bad years. I'm going to assume this season isn't 1 of those 3, small sample size and whatnot, so that means he thinks Q underachieved in 2016 and 2017. One Goal was a great marketing campaign, but I simply don't agree that a 1st round exit means the season was a failure. I'm totally with you that not all 16 playoff teams are legit threats to win 4 rounds (personally I think it's around half), but sometimes you play 1 of the other legit teams in the 1st round and lose because you didn't get the breaks, or you just simply didn't play well enough. It doesn't mean the season was a complete failure. If you're telling me the 2016 and 2017 teams had no legit chance to win the Cup, then OK, I disagree. And if anyone is saying that Q's coaching and management style were good enough to win a Cup in 2015 but held us back in 2016 and 2017 to the point where we weren't even legitimate contenders, that's a head-scratcher for me.

Last season was a failure. This season is almost certainly going to be a failure. But I also agree with what you said in another post in this thread - regardless of who's coaching this is not a playoff team. So fire Q, don't fire Q, it's all the same to me. I don't think we'll be a contender anytime soon so his firing would have happened eventually anyway. It's great to take the optimistic approach to failed seasons, but sometimes high draft picks are like a birdie on 18 after a bad round - keeps you coming back but doesn't mean as much as you'd like it to about how the next round will go.

I guess I assumed that the people who are happy that Q is gone expected some better results with this roster. Is it too soon to make the call that it's not going to happen this year? I don't think so. Would it have been different if JC had all of training camp to install his way? I highly doubt it.

And I do appreciate your attempt to explain the complaints with Q's puck possession system. If I understand you correctly, you're just saying the puck should always move forward in the D zone. When I think of the great 10-year run, I don't think of the forwards all hanging out up high and lots of stretch passes. Instead, I recall the quick breakouts up the middle from nifty D passes to centers in our zone who then moved the puck quickly up to their wings. I haven't noticed a league-wide shift to just get the heck out of the zone without any D-to-D passing but I'll try to watch the better teams closer.

My three years comment is in fact 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19...we didn't need to see anymore of this year to know that Q couldn't turn things around. What happened in 16-17 was a disgrace IMO, and showed how much our coach got "out coached" that playoffs. And even before the playoffs that team was hard to comprehend because of all the weird ass decisions Q kept making with players he was dressing and lines/pairings that were getting blended. He rode one damn line to the playoffs, it was obvious.

Now this isn't meant for you but for the few that continually want to simply bitch one way or the other. I actually do appreciate what Q did here. I am not blind, I saw the good that he brought here. I also see the same with Bowman and what he has done here. But these topics typically have to fall one way or another meaning people say it is either Q's fault or Bowman's fault. Most of my comments are pretty tongue in cheek because of how outlandish the stupid few but vocal few are when they need to trash Bowman for this.

There are enough of us posters that give Bowman blame for a number of things. We have and will continue to do so, if it is deserved. BUT, those posters that trash Bowman NEVER give him credit for the good he has done, and NEVER blame Q for anything. It is so obnoxious to read these posts that sometimes we get sucked into the dumbness ourselves.

I am a pretty level headed guy on here, I typically see the good in all with the Hawks. It was apparent Q's time had run its course after the 2016-17 season. I was okay like many of us where with bringing him back for one more year which we did in 17-18, but the team looked even worse. Now Crow went down and our core players did not play well, so Q got another chance. We saw what happened yet again this year and now he is gone. There are those that just cannot see that Q can't coach a mediocre team into a winning team, they cannot see that he is the type of guy that needs a contender to work with..he really isn't great with young players and we heard this time and time again..I am not bashing Q, this is the reality for him and it doesn't tarnish his legacy. He just is no longer the right fit for this team and what we need to do moving forward.

I have no clue if JC is the answer, I would like to see him get the rest of this entire season to see what he can do, watch him bring up some more kids from Rockford that he wants up here, and have a full training camp to get everyone on board...I don't know if he gets all that with how this executive management team seems to still be in a win now mode.

But to sum up my long post, I did enjoy a lot of Q, but anyone that did not have their head firmly planted up their ass the past few seasons saw his flaws and how he was actively hurting this team instead of helping it. The same people that keep crying over Q are the ones putting this all on Bowman. How about the blame kind of lies on 3 things - Q, Bowman, and the players...many of us have said this in fact and still do. The players have to show up, and our core star players have not done that successfully enough the past few years. Our GM is on his last strike here as well, he has drafted extremely well and retooled this roster not just once but twice in a hard cap world winning 2 more cups..

Q needed to go, his fanboys just can't get over that. Now they have a scapegoat in Bowman for everything, and some of it is justified which has been discussed to death, but a lot of it is not which is why he still is our GM.

Reactions: swerdnase

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am of the thinking that this is unfixable until 7, 19, 2 contracts run out. We are going to suck for quite some time so perhaps we get some good picks/prospects in that time frame. Schmaltz should have been traded for picks not the players we got. That is Stan thinking we have a chance this year. Or McD thinking that.

Which reminds me McD needs to go. He has zero knowledge of rebuilding a franchise. He inherited everything and it was simple to market the team at its peak. Now you need a hockey mind to have a plan to rebuild the team in that position which is not McD.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I am of the thinking that this is unfixable until 7, 19, 2 contracts run out. We are going to suck for quite some time so perhaps we get some good picks/prospects in that time frame. Schmaltz should have been traded for picks not the players we got. That is Stan thinking we have a chance this year. Or McD thinking that.

Which reminds me McD needs to go. He has zero knowledge of rebuilding a franchise. He inherited everything and it was simple to market the team at its peak. Now you need a hockey mind to have a plan to rebuild the team in that position which is not McD.
Nothing wrong with 19

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015

Agreed, but aren't these the two main comps people threw out?
1) Pens/Sullivan - A mid-season coaching change and some seemingly minor roster tweaks resulted in new style that immediately won two Cups.
2) Bruins/Cassidy - A perennial contender slipped with two meh non-playoff seasons but changed coaches and added quality youth around the core and is now perceived to be a contender again. (This one still seems weird to me as a goal, since they haven't made it past the 2nd round and have therefore not accomplished anything of note in the eyes of Cup-or-bust folks)

At any rate, I agree with ColdSteel2 that the negativity towards Stan follows the idea that Q was the problem. I think the start of the JC era has been far worse than anyone imagined it would be. I don't think it would help to fire JC or Stan at this point, but there's no denying we haven't seen a stretch like this in the last 10 years. It is what it is, and if people are looking for someone to blame there's one less guy around to throw under the bus.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
My three years comment is in fact 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19...we didn't need to see anymore of this year to know that Q couldn't turn things around. What happened in 16-17 was a disgrace IMO, and showed how much our coach got "out coached" that playoffs. And even before the playoffs that team was hard to comprehend because of all the weird ass decisions Q kept making with players he was dressing and lines/pairings that were getting blended. He rode one damn line to the playoffs, it was obvious.

Now this isn't meant for you but for the few that continually want to simply ***** one way or the other. I actually do appreciate what Q did here. I am not blind, I saw the good that he brought here. I also see the same with Bowman and what he has done here. But these topics typically have to fall one way or another meaning people say it is either Q's fault or Bowman's fault. Most of my comments are pretty tongue in cheek because of how outlandish the stupid few but vocal few are when they need to trash Bowman for this.

There are enough of us posters that give Bowman blame for a number of things. We have and will continue to do so, if it is deserved. BUT, those posters that trash Bowman NEVER give him credit for the good he has done, and NEVER blame Q for anything. It is so obnoxious to read these posts that sometimes we get sucked into the dumbness ourselves.

I am a pretty level headed guy on here, I typically see the good in all with the Hawks. It was apparent Q's time had run its course after the 2016-17 season. I was okay like many of us where with bringing him back for one more year which we did in 17-18, but the team looked even worse. Now Crow went down and our core players did not play well, so Q got another chance. We saw what happened yet again this year and now he is gone. There are those that just cannot see that Q can't coach a mediocre team into a winning team, they cannot see that he is the type of guy that needs a contender to work with..he really isn't great with young players and we heard this time and time again..I am not bashing Q, this is the reality for him and it doesn't tarnish his legacy. He just is no longer the right fit for this team and what we need to do moving forward.

I have no clue if JC is the answer, I would like to see him get the rest of this entire season to see what he can do, watch him bring up some more kids from Rockford that he wants up here, and have a full training camp to get everyone on board...I don't know if he gets all that with how this executive management team seems to still be in a win now mode.

But to sum up my long post, I did enjoy a lot of Q, but anyone that did not have their head firmly planted up their ass the past few seasons saw his flaws and how he was actively hurting this team instead of helping it. The same people that keep crying over Q are the ones putting this all on Bowman. How about the blame kind of lies on 3 things - Q, Bowman, and the players...many of us have said this in fact and still do. The players have to show up, and our core star players have not done that successfully enough the past few years. Our GM is on his last strike here as well, he has drafted extremely well and retooled this roster not just once but twice in a hard cap world winning 2 more cups..

Q needed to go, his fanboys just can't get over that. Now they have a scapegoat in Bowman for everything, and some of it is justified which has been discussed to death, but a lot of it is not which is why he still is our GM.

Fair enough. Q was far from flawless. I don't agree that he was a net negative on the team, but I can respect your opinion if you think it got there. He always seemed to relish mixing the lines, as if that proved he was a big factor in the team's success. My recollection of 2013 is that he was almost excited to finally lose a game and break that streak at the start of the year. As soon as they lost he changed the D pairs and didn't put them back until we were down 3-1 to the Wings. Maddening...

Q did some dumb things, and Stan has made some brutal trades. I'm not looking to blame either one of them and don't understand the people who were dancing on Q's grave. To me, they are two guys who played a big role in a decade of Hawks dominance that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. Same goes with the players. If I see Seabs in a bar 10 years from now I'm not going to ask him why he couldn't pivot the last 5 years of his contract - I'm going to buy him a beer and thank him for completing that game 7 win over the Wings. It would also be cool if he bought me a beer instead.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Fair enough. Q was far from flawless. I don't agree that he was a net negative on the team, but I can respect your opinion if you think it got there. He always seemed to relish mixing the lines, as if that proved he was a big factor in the team's success. My recollection of 2013 is that he was almost excited to finally lose a game and break that streak at the start of the year. As soon as they lost he changed the D pairs and didn't put them back until we were down 3-1 to the Wings. Maddening...

Q did some dumb things, and Stan has made some brutal trades. I'm not looking to blame either one of them and don't understand the people who were dancing on Q's grave. To me, they are two guys who played a big role in a decade of Hawks dominance that I never thought I'd see in my lifetime. Same goes with the players. If I see Seabs in a bar 10 years from now I'm not going to ask him why he couldn't pivot the last 5 years of his contract - I'm going to buy him a beer and thank him for completing that game 7 win over the Wings. It would also be cool if he bought me a beer instead.
time being what they are and we all are at the finger point cause of what is happening to the team. there is so much more to be thankful and i need to remind myself, with out the their guidance, the whole org, we would not have won not 1 but 3 sc's. however at this stage, i also have to remind myself again and really need to admit, we as fans have no control to this team. yeah i also have to give credit to the owners for wanting those championships as much as we do.

with all that, i firmly believe that the team was ill adapted for the run to end and i would even money it caught them by surprise. all i know it there is one indelible fact, this team as a whole can still win esp with the core being there. all it needs one imaginative creative move, a move that is positive and not one that will give way to some really horrible unintended consequences of a complete melt-down.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

We can live with 19's contract. Toews' been a lot better this year. Let's face it, our defense sucks. We'll have to mortgage our future to trade 7. Hope for a compliance clause in the new CBA. Maybe there's a chance we can trade 2 for pretty much nothing. 15 can be moved. Crow only has 1.5 years left. Without a goalie succession plan, we should probably keep Crow. What's up with Murphy?

Reactions: LDF

Cement Head

I'm tired, I only had 16 hours of sleep!
Dec 23, 2017
Bowman's contract ends after the 2020-21 season and deserves to be the Hawk's GM for at least the duration of this contract. I think if average attendance at the United Center drops under 19,000 during the 2019-20 season he would not be extended. The Hawks still lead the NHL in home attendance this season, the Hawks are 21st on the road. Also, I think someone above Stan was responsible for the Seabrook contract, if not, Stan should have been fired ten seconds after Seabs signed the contract.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Bowman's contract ends after the 2020-21 season and deserves to be the Hawk's GM for at least the duration of this contract. I think if average attendance at the United Center drops under 19,000 during the 2019-20 season he would not be extended. The Hawks still lead the NHL in home attendance this season, the Hawks are 21st on the road. Also, I think someone above Stan was responsible for the Seabrook contract, if not, Stan should have been fired ten seconds after Seabs signed the contract.
I don't think Bowman will be fired ... but Rocky isn't short sighted like his father. He knows Hawk fans are restless. It's one thing to lose fighting. It's another thing to have no fight.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad