Bowman needs to be fired tonight

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Let's see how he drafts this summer, works the free agent market, and the trade deadline.

I want to see how he handles Keith, Seabrook, Manning, and Anisimov going forward. Is Kruger worth anything? What's going to happen to Crow? What's up with Murphy?

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Which 3 years were those? Did one of them include the year the Hawks had the most points in the Western Conference? Is one of them this year where the team was treading water and not a total and complete embarrassment? Or is one of them when the team comfortably qualified for the playoffs and a young D-man turned the puck over in game 7? Just trying to understand the timeline.

It's super hard to make a quality argument that Q was the problem with this team. It's an undeniable dumpster fire right now. I don't in any way shape or form find this preferable to being a competitive team that happened to lose in the first round of the playoffs. There will be very good teams that lose in the first round of the playoffs this year, just like every single year.

Psssst... standings points are a terrible measure of legitimate team quality. There's a reason the president's trophy winners don't win the cup, or even make it to the finals, or conference finals every year. You need to look deeper. Nashville beat the Blackhawks because Nashville was better than the Blackhawks, standings points be damned.

The problems with Q were made obvious with the series against Nashville, though they had been there in 2016 and even well before as well, and finally hit the breaking point in 2018.

- Shameless favoritism, you could be put in the dog house or ordained a made man based on nothing even tangentially related to performance

- As the league moves towards faster breakouts of the D zone, Q stubbornly punished any Dman brave enough to simply try and exit the zone with the puck... they of course, went on to win cups playing top4 minutes with other teams

- Special teams (notably the PP) were a disaster. Media conveniently blamed this on ACs, though when you look at the actual shot and chance generation by the PP, it's been consistent across all ACs. The consistent factor, of course, is the guy actually running the special teams behind his appointed Hartford Whalers buddies (yes men)

- The real killer came after the 2017 bludgeoning though. The team, including the core, stopped playing for him. We can make whatever judgements we want about the quality of the roster, the forwards weren't back-checking, they weren't focused, they were making mistake after mistake, brainfart after brainfart. Like, I challenge you to find a clip of a player making a great defensive back-checking play last season. The players checked out. Put aside lack of talent on the roster, the talent we did have gave. zero. ****s.

And for the record, I'd take a trash team picking up lottery picks that have the potential to turn into difference makers, over being a team that gets to the 1st round of the playoffs just to get curb-stomped ANY DAY. One offers a road to consistent legitimate contention. The other is a way to convince yourself everything is fine as you spiral the drain.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Psssst... standings points are a terrible measure of legitimate team quality. There's a reason the president's trophy winners don't win the cup, or even make it to the finals, or conference finals every year. You need to look deeper. Nashville beat the Blackhawks because Nashville was better than the Blackhawks, standings points be damned.

The problems with Q were made obvious with the series against Nashville, though they had been there in 2016 and even well before as well, and finally hit the breaking point in 2018.

- Shameless favoritism, you could be put in the dog house or ordained a made man based on nothing even tangentially related to performance

- As the league moves towards faster breakouts of the D zone, Q stubbornly punished any Dman brave enough to simply try and exit the zone with the puck... they of course, went on to win cups playing top4 minutes with other teams

- Special teams (notably the PP) were a disaster. Media conveniently blamed this on ACs, though when you look at the actual shot and chance generation by the PP, it's been consistent across all ACs. The consistent factor, of course, is the guy actually running the special teams behind his appointed Hartford Whalers buddies (yes men)

- The real killer came after the 2017 bludgeoning though. The team, including the core, stopped playing for him. We can make whatever judgements we want about the quality of the roster, the forwards weren't back-checking, they weren't focused, they were making mistake after mistake, brainfart after brainfart. Like, I challenge you to find a clip of a player making a great defensive back-checking play last season. The players checked out. Put aside lack of talent on the roster, the talent we did have gave. zero. ****s.

And for the record, I'd take a trash team picking up lottery picks that have the potential to turn into difference makers, over being a team that gets to the 1st round of the playoffs just to get curb-stomped ANY DAY. One offers a road to consistent legitimate contention. The other is a way to convince yourself everything is fine as you spiral the drain.
for me and looking through the eyes of a fan..... while many on this site has that hockey playing background.

with that, today, i really didn't see many of the goals were a direct result of the d-men bad defensive play. what was the problem today ??

this is an excellent post. !!!!

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
your HOF coach **** the bed for 3 years......the right guy got canned, sorry you can't deal with it emotionally...if you need some assistance there are 1-800 #'s to help with coping and grieving..
i am really not trying to take sides on this...... but are you saying this mess of the team happen overnite ??

the state of this team is the result of several yrs of fixing it, several yrs of not address what was that was really needed for this team.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
for me and looking through the eyes of a fan..... while many on this site has that hockey playing background.

with that, today, i really didn't see many of the goals were a direct result of the d-men bad defensive play. what was the problem today ??

Are you talking about the Nashville series?

If so, the goals against were certainly a result of defensive play, most notably the inability of the offense to get the puck out of the dzone efficiently and thereby limit the chances and shots against.

Every time the Blackhawks D managed to actually get to the puck, which was no small task against a fast team like Nashville (and people forget, Nashville's speed was giving this team fits as far back as 2015), they were looking up trying to make a hard pass out of the zone.... which is the rule under Q's system. Unfortunately for the Blackhawks in that series, every time they looked up, a Pred had already gotten right on top of them with their speed, or closed up the passing lane, or was pressuring with a partner, etc. They were, essentially, on the other side of the coin from 2013, when the Blackhawks were the team using speed and constant pressure to cut off transition before it started.

The simple fact is, the speed of the game has been ramping up steadily over the last 10 years. In 2010-2015, it was fine, because a) the Blackhawks were fast enough to ramp up with it, and b) the speed of the game had not crossed the tipping point whereby the Blackhawks system was completely obsolete. That changed in 2016 with the Penguins, who demonstrated that you don't need hard tape-to-tape passes out of the zone, you just need the puck out of the zone asap, by clear, by flip-out, by pass, or by skating the puck out yourself. The rest of the league took note. Joel Quenneville, fat and happy off 3 cups, was content to ignore it. He continued to demand his d-men make passes out of the zone (the conservative option, as if a puck is turned over, there's still the dman back at the origin of the pass to try and defend, whereas a player skating the puck out makes a turnover and it's a clear lane to the net)...which takes more time, and is easier to forecheck now with forecheckers as fast as they ever have been.

That said, Q isn't the only one at fault. When Stan was asked point blank about the lack of speed on the back end being a factor in that series, he said 'no, the problem was we didn't score enough'.... which might have been the dumbest f***ing thing Stan Bowman was ever said on the record. The offense comes through the defense. If the D can't get the puck up to the forwards quickly and efficiently, that gives the opposing team all the time in the world to close in on those forwards and cut their options down. Which anybody watching the series could see happening... any time a forward finally, mercifully got the puck on their stick, there was already a Pred or two on top of them.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015

Ignoring the condescension, which is annoying, but it's late...I agree in general that qualifying for the playoffs is more important than which place you finish. How often does the Presidents Trophy winner also win the Stanley Cup? Psssst...it's MUCH more frequently than 1 in 16. How can that be if those silly standings points don't matter? OK, I guess it was hard to ignore...

It's totally true that the Hawks weren't a significantly more talented team that Nashville that year. The preseason predictions were Chicago, Dallas, and Nashville battling for the top of the Central with no clear favorite. Hawks exceeded regular season expectations, Preds had terrible start but righted the ship to squeak into the playoffs, and Dallas flopped. Get to the playoffs and you can throw out the regular season standings, but you can't win the Cup without making the playoffs (cough, Dallas, cough), so I'm in favor of making the playoffs comfortably to get as many kicks at the can as possible.

Look, I liked Kempny also and never understood why Q didn't like him more. Inexplicable, really. But Gus gave the puck away in game 7 vs StL the year before doing just this - skating into traffic in the neutral zone. So people bag on Q for not giving young players a chance and not letting D skate the puck, then there's no way that losing that series is Q's fault, right? He was playing a young D at a critical point and skating the puck is the right thing to do, so I guess stuff just happens...

And I have a separate, very non-sarcastic question for all the folks who keep saying the game is quicker now but we need to let the D skate the puck more. Isn't it faster to pass the puck forward rather than skate it? I'd love to read a reply from someone who can explain clearly why the puck moves faster skating than passing. I'm confused every time someone talks about quicker transition but also wants the D to skate the puck more. What am I missing?

Special teams have notably improved under the new regime, or maybe not...should I check the numbers? Shouldn't the PP be the easiest thing to fix?

Eh, too many problems last year to even get into it.

My original point was that the teams that lost in the first round to StL and Nashville were legitimate Stanley Cup contenders. I never thought last year's team had a chance. Ditto with this year's rendition. If you prefer this current mess to those two years we lost in the first round, then OK, to each his own. But I 100% reject the notion that those were bad years and count as negatives on Q's resume.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Ignoring the condescension, which is annoying, but it's late...I agree in general that qualifying for the playoffs is more important than which place you finish. How often does the Presidents Trophy winner also win the Stanley Cup? Psssst...it's MUCH more frequently than 1 in 16. How can that be if those silly standings points don't matter? OK, I guess it was hard to ignore...

Yes, it's true PC winners win are a higher rate than 1 in 16, which only suggests that the playoffs aren't COMPLETELY random, which isn't what I was arguing. My point was, that standings points are one of the weakest indicators of team performance and quality you can find. You don't even have to go 'fancy' to find better, 5v5 goal differential would have been more than enough to indicate that the Blackhawks were in for a war.

It's totally true that the Hawks weren't a significantly more talented team that Nashville that year. The preseason predictions were Chicago, Dallas, and Nashville battling for the top of the Central with no clear favorite. Hawks exceeded regular season expectations, Preds had terrible start but righted the ship to squeak into the playoffs, and Dallas flopped. Get to the playoffs and you can throw out the regular season standings, but you can't win the Cup without making the playoffs (cough, Dallas, cough), so I'm in favor of making the playoffs comfortably to get as many kicks at the can as possible.

You can throw out the standings points, but you can't throw out the full picture. I'd rather not make the playoffs if I don't have a shot in hell of winning the whole shebang. Otherwise you're just wasting a season and getting a worse pick. The idea that 'anything can happen in the playoffs' is largely garbage romanticism. The teams that win the cup are generally among the top tier teams in the league when you look at the legitimately predictive numbers. Those that aren't, typically have historic goaltending running white hot.

Look, I liked Kempny also and never understood why Q didn't like him more. Inexplicable, really. But Gus gave the puck away in game 7 vs StL the year before doing just this - skating into traffic in the neutral zone. So people bag on Q for not giving young players a chance and not letting D skate the puck, then there's no way that losing that series is Q's fault, right? He was playing a young D at a critical point and skating the puck is the right thing to do, so I guess stuff just happens...

And I have a separate, very non-sarcastic question for all the folks who keep saying the game is quicker now but we need to let the D skate the puck more. Isn't it faster to pass the puck forward rather than skate it? I'd love to read a reply from someone who can explain clearly why the puck moves faster skating than passing. I'm confused every time someone talks about quicker transition but also wants the D to skate the puck more. What am I missing?

Q straight up torched Gus in his post-game comments....and then he was basically never heard from again until this season. Seabrook and TVR (and Oduya... and Rozsival) could happily vomit all over themselves shift in, shift out through 2016 and 2017, and Q would protect them and keep throwing them out there. But god forbid you make one error trying to make a play out of your zone.

And for the record, I posted on these very forums that I was happy and surprised with Q this season for continuing to throw his PMDs out there even after they made turnovers. I wasn't calling for his head at the time he was fired, after losing 5 straight or whatever it was, for that very reason. It seemed he finally got the memo, and was willing to let players work through errors rather than picking and choosing who gets buried for an error and who gets to play shift after shift without recourse.

As for your question... do you believe speed in hockey only works one way? That it only favors the offensive team? Teams are forechecking and getting into passing lanes MUCH faster. The Blackhawks Dmen are getting the puck, looking up and finding an opposing player in their passing lane...then they're passing D to D, which to the shock of nobody alleviates roughly zero pressure, and then they're hemmed in their zone for another shift. Meanwhile, successful teams are not looking for tape-to-tape passes, they just want to the puck out NOW, so they'll go off the glass, or they'll pass to an area and create a 50/50 race, or they will take the skating lane where it presents itself. And forwards are actually coming back to help their D both skate and pass the puck out, rather than waiting at the far blue-line for passing plays that will never come.

You know who had the most defensive-zone to offensive-zone transition plays for the Washington Capitals last season? Kuznetzsov. Under Q, he'd be waiting stationary at the blue line, waiting for a pass that never came cause the passing lane was closed off before the D could even look up to find him.

Special teams have notably improved under the new regime, or maybe not...should I check the numbers? Shouldn't the PP be the easiest thing to fix?

Go ahead, though you should look at 5v4 shots and chances generated per 60 rather than PP%, as comparing PP% over 9 years vs 10 or so games would be a little silly.

Eh, too many problems last year to even get into it.

Not really. Poor coaching and poor goaltending. The latter saved the former's job for 15 or games this season.

My original point was that the teams that lost in the first round to StL and Nashville were legitimate Stanley Cup contenders. I never thought last year's team had a chance. Ditto with this year's rendition. If you prefer this current mess to those two years we lost in the first round, then OK, to each his own. But I 100% reject the notion that those were bad years and count as negatives on Q's resume.

If that was your point, then I vehemently disagree. Neither of those teams had a chance of getting past the 2nd round in the playoffs unless Corey Crawford managed a 950 sv% through the playoffs.

EDIT: Looking back, the 2016 team could have made it past the 2nd round matchup to the conference finals before being slapped around by San Jose.

Reactions: vshun

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Are you talking about the Nashville series?

If so, the goals against were certainly a result of defensive play, most notably the inability of the offense to get the puck out of the dzone efficiently and thereby limit the chances and shots against.

Every time the Blackhawks D managed to actually get to the puck, which was no small task against a fast team like Nashville (and people forget, Nashville's speed was giving this team fits as far back as 2015), they were looking up trying to make a hard pass out of the zone.... which is the rule under Q's system. Unfortunately for the Blackhawks in that series, every time they looked up, a Pred had already gotten right on top of them with their speed, or closed up the passing lane, or was pressuring with a partner, etc. They were, essentially, on the other side of the coin from 2013, when the Blackhawks were the team using speed and constant pressure to cut off transition before it started.

The simple fact is, the speed of the game has been ramping up steadily over the last 10 years. In 2010-2015, it was fine, because a) the Blackhawks were fast enough to ramp up with it, and b) the speed of the game had not crossed the tipping point whereby the Blackhawks system was completely obsolete. That changed in 2016 with the Penguins, who demonstrated that you don't need hard tape-to-tape passes out of the zone, you just need the puck out of the zone asap, by clear, by flip-out, by pass, or by skating the puck out yourself. The rest of the league took note. Joel Quenneville, fat and happy off 3 cups, was content to ignore it. He continued to demand his d-men make passes out of the zone (the conservative option, as if a puck is turned over, there's still the dman back at the origin of the pass to try and defend, whereas a player skating the puck out makes a turnover and it's a clear lane to the net)...which takes more time, and is easier to forecheck now with forecheckers as fast as they ever have been.

That said, Q isn't the only one at fault. When Stan was asked point blank about the lack of speed on the back end being a factor in that series, he said 'no, the problem was we didn't score enough'.... which might have been the dumbest ****ing thing Stan Bowman was ever said on the record. The offense comes through the defense. If the D can't get the puck up to the forwards quickly and efficiently, that gives the opposing team all the time in the world to close in on those forwards and cut their options down. Which anybody watching the series could see happening... any time a forward finally, mercifully got the puck on their stick, there was already a Pred or two on top of them.

first bold, yeah i was really thinking of the d-men, tonite game was a direct result of as you mention the overall defensive play. for me, i would mostly say it was the forward not backchecking nor getting there defensive assignments screwed up.

second bold, that was most excellent comment and all soooo true.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Fire Stan, I have been saying it for a couple years now, this guy has no clue what he’s doing and is just making the team worse and worse by trading young guys away for junk. I wouldn’t be against bringing Q back as this team looks in shambles since he left, honestly the team wasn’t playing bad this season when he was around, Yes maybe the last couple games of him before firing but they’re were a couple of those losses which the team played well but had bad bounces. The team has been atrocious since he left. This is not a complete blame on JC even though I am not a fan of his, the player just suck #$$

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Fire Stan, I have been saying it for a couple years now, this guy has no clue what he’s doing and is just making the team worse and worse by trading young guys away for junk. I wouldn’t be against bringing Q back as this team looks in shambles since he left, honestly the team wasn’t playing bad this season when he was around, Yes maybe the last couple games of him before firing but they’re were a couple of those losses which the team played well but had bad bounces. The team has been atrocious since he left. This is not a complete blame on JC even though I am not a fan of his, the player just suck #$$

The team was absolutely not playing well before Q left, they came hot out of the gates with insane sh%, when it cooled off, they were ****ed. Q does nothing more with this roster than JC has thus far.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The team was absolutely not playing well before Q left, they came hot out of the gates with insane sh%, when it cooled off, they were ****ed. Q does nothing more with this roster than JC has thus far.
I think Q does a bit better ... but not by much. I don't think opponents constantly score 4 goals in the first period with Q's presence. That said, I'd rather have JC try to develop the young kids. It was time to move on.

I don't know if JC is the coach to get us to the utlimate point C ... but he could get us to point B from A. Let's see what type of culture he can create in the locker room.

Reactions: LDF

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007

Dude whats with you and "Sh%" as if its some independent stat, when the team is playing better the shooting percentage will rise thats just the norm, when youplay better you get yourself in better shooting postions to shoot from and get more tip ins, garbage goals, etc. etc. so yes the shooting percentage will dip now cause they are playing like crap as a whole. If you are saying that the team is playing the exact same way but somehow pucks just went in with similar quality shots then you are just simply wrong.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Dude whats with you and "Sh%" as if its some independent stat, when the team is playing better the shooting percentage will rise thats just the norm, when youplay better you get yourself in better shooting postions to shoot from and get more tip ins, garbage goals, etc. etc. so yes the shooting percentage will dip now cause they are playing like crap as a whole. If you are saying that the team is playing the exact same way but somehow pucks just went in with similar quality shots then you are just simply wrong.

No, bad teams can definitely have unsustainably high sh% that allow them to win games they shouldn't, that is, games when they are decisively outplayed, out-shot, out-chanced, etc. When those sh% inevitably fall, they start losing, because they were actually bad, and actually playing bad all along but no longer have the benefit of good luck to help them.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
What did you expect after last year without any Tavares like signings?

If the rebuild starts with Strome, DeBrincat, Perlini, Jokiharju and Boqvist I really want to know what happens next. I think Saad can bounce back in the future. This team lacks D, needs a young goalie to groom up and more quality forwards. Martinsen on the roster.... Hayden can be that guy. Martinsen gone and a Panarin added and this group looks better.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
No, bad teams can definitely have unsustainably high sh% that allow them to win games they shouldn't, that is, games when they are decisively outplayed, out-shot, out-chanced, etc. When those sh% inevitably fall, they start losing, because they were actually bad, and actually playing bad all along but no longer have the benefit of good luck to help them.

I understand but those games are few and far in between so you really can’t use the shooting percentage as a relatable measuring tool. The team was playing much better at the beginning of the season, it was not luck or some luck shooting percentage.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

You talk about Seabrook giving the Puck to Smith or Gustafson just standing around not covering anybody?

All blacks

Dec 18, 2017
You know,it's easy to blame Bowman for Hawks demise ,but he help get the Hawks 3 cups.But as usual ,it's what have you done lately.You just have to look at the Kings and your starting to see it on the pens as well.Its called the cap boys and girls.Get over it,the Hawks have done a great job with Bowman and company.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You know,it's easy to blame Bowman for Hawks demise ,but he help get the Hawks 3 cups.But as usual ,it's what have you done lately.You just have to look at the Kings and your starting to see it on the pens as well.Its called the cap boys and girls.Get over it,the Hawks have done a great job with Bowman and company.
and many times posters including i acknowledge those 3 sc's. they were a magical time. but as the same time, he SHOULD have realize that the other part of a gm is to continue to fix the team. when was the last time the team played in a SC series ?? how long do you think this team will take to get back to sniff another run at a SC ??

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
You talk about Seabrook giving the Puck to Smith or Gustafson just standing around not covering anybody?
ok i get what you are pointing out, beside your point, i still think that the overall performance was a direct result of the forwards not doing a better job in their defensive play.

hey most of the time i am the one who keeps pointing out the mistake that the d-men do. this time i see it differently.

SnakePlissken

Jun 16, 2015
Yes, it's true PC winners win are a higher rate than 1 in 16...
EDIT: Looking back, the 2016 team could have made it past the 2nd round matchup to the conference finals before being slapped around by San Jose.

My original reply was to AD's assertion that it was time to fire Q because he had 3 bad years. I'm going to assume this season isn't 1 of those 3, small sample size and whatnot, so that means he thinks Q underachieved in 2016 and 2017. One Goal was a great marketing campaign, but I simply don't agree that a 1st round exit means the season was a failure. I'm totally with you that not all 16 playoff teams are legit threats to win 4 rounds (personally I think it's around half), but sometimes you play 1 of the other legit teams in the 1st round and lose because you didn't get the breaks, or you just simply didn't play well enough. It doesn't mean the season was a complete failure. If you're telling me the 2016 and 2017 teams had no legit chance to win the Cup, then OK, I disagree. And if anyone is saying that Q's coaching and management style were good enough to win a Cup in 2015 but held us back in 2016 and 2017 to the point where we weren't even legitimate contenders, that's a head-scratcher for me.

Last season was a failure. This season is almost certainly going to be a failure. But I also agree with what you said in another post in this thread - regardless of who's coaching this is not a playoff team. So fire Q, don't fire Q, it's all the same to me. I don't think we'll be a contender anytime soon so his firing would have happened eventually anyway. It's great to take the optimistic approach to failed seasons, but sometimes high draft picks are like a birdie on 18 after a bad round - keeps you coming back but doesn't mean as much as you'd like it to about how the next round will go.

I guess I assumed that the people who are happy that Q is gone expected some better results with this roster. Is it too soon to make the call that it's not going to happen this year? I don't think so. Would it have been different if JC had all of training camp to install his way? I highly doubt it.

And I do appreciate your attempt to explain the complaints with Q's puck possession system. If I understand you correctly, you're just saying the puck should always move forward in the D zone. When I think of the great 10-year run, I don't think of the forwards all hanging out up high and lots of stretch passes. Instead, I recall the quick breakouts up the middle from nifty D passes to centers in our zone who then moved the puck quickly up to their wings. I haven't noticed a league-wide shift to just get the heck out of the zone without any D-to-D passing but I'll try to watch the better teams closer.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think Stan has done mostly a crappy job the last several years. Probably most things since the Panarin signing - other than some draft selections have not worked out too well. This latest Strome trade smells a bit like the Runblad trade to me. Stan latching on to a former top prospect that probably won't amount to much.

I think if he got fired right now, it would certainly be justified. And I don't buy this - he deserves to run with his own coach stuff. He's been GM for almost 10 years. He's had plenty of time to put his own people in place.

That said, however unlikely, next July we could have Panarin and Hughes in the fold. Maybe he'll even find a way to offload the Seabrook or Toews boat anchor contracts? Combine with the upcoming defense prospects, and we could see a Pittsburgh-like revival of this thing.

If I was Rocky, I'd tell John McDonough and/or Stan that things must be showing the appearance of turning around before the upcoming draft or he is gone. And for that to happen, it would likely require a lot of luck - be it winning the draft lottery or finding a sucker to take one of the bad contracts.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
BTW I agree with SnakePlissken that Q being here or not is irrelevant. I'm not bothered that he was fired, nor do I think this team's demise is his fault. Stan constructed this bad roster, not Q. And even there, a lot of it is paying the piper for the many year's of the dynasty. All those low draft picks or traded away draft picks for Cup runs were eventually going to catch up with the Hawks. Maybe it came a bit faster than we might of expected.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I think Stan has done mostly a crappy job the last several years. Probably most things since the Panarin signing - other than some draft selections have not worked out too well. This latest Strome trade smells a bit like the Runblad trade to me. Stan latching on to a former top prospect that probably won't amount to much.

I think if he got fired right now, it would certainly be justified. And I don't buy this - he deserves to run with his own coach stuff. He's been GM for almost 10 years. He's had plenty of time to put his own people in place.

That said, however unlikely, next July we could have Panarin and Hughes in the fold. Maybe he'll even find a way to offload the Seabrook or Toews boat anchor contracts? Combine with the upcoming defense prospects, and we could see a Pittsburgh-like revival of this thing.

If I was Rocky, I'd tell John McDonough and/or Stan that things must be showing the appearance of turning around before the upcoming draft or he is gone. And for that to happen, it would likely require a lot of luck - be it winning the draft lottery or finding a sucker to take one of the bad contracts.

Spot on IMO. For me, it feels like good things are on the horizon but still a lot of work to do. I’d give Stan another year. He needs to have a big offseason and I think he will.

As for JC, obviously Stan should have him on a short leash next season because if he makes moves to improve the team and Colliton is the weak link then he’ll have to go so Stan can save his job.

I disagree with you on Strome though. I think he is Anisimov’s replacement but cheaper, which will allow us more flexibility to improve the team or at least let us be deep at center. I think we’ll make some strong moves going forward and make the playoffs next year with or without JC.

I mean, if Stan is able to land AP, that whole sequence of moves that allowed us to have Saad, Panarin and Anisimov will be hall of fame lore when it comes to GMs. Just need to finish the job.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Stan needs to move at the very least Seabs, Keith, and Crow to land Panarin, sign our younger guys to new deals, and either land a stud FA d man or trade for one.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Stan needs to move at the very least Seabs, Keith, and Crow to land Panarin, sign our younger guys to new deals, and either land a stud FA d man or trade for one.

We have the money for Panarin already. Moving Seabs on top of that would be next level wizardry. I don’t expect that from him. Well, if he strikes out on Panarin and Stone, then yeah, he must move Seabs and spread out all of our money on other free agent and trade acquisitions.

And in Stan’s defense, anyone who wanted Q gone got what they wanted and this is what it looks like. Now it’s up to him to assess the full scope of the situation and move from there but he deserves another year to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad