Player Discussion Bowen Byram - LHD (4th OA 2019 - Trade with Avs 3-6-2024) 22 YO - Signed Thru 2024-25 $3.85 Million Cap Hit (RFA)

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Man, he had a play in the third that was so nifty. He was skating it from our zone to the neutral zone, and made a really nifty pass to Girgs that sprung him on a breakaway. It really appears Dahlin and Byram are going to be toying with teams out there. Insane skating, great offensive instincts, beautiful in transistion, and physical in the d zone. They're going to be a PITA to play against.

The one thing I wasn't expecting is how competitive Byram is. Ive only seen about half of his game time with the Sabres, but he is not afraid to clear someone out in the corners. Also, it seems like bringing into a crew that was already close with him had had a ripple effect on the entire team. Byram seems to love the opportunity he is getting here, and wants to showcase his skill. Let's hope the adrenaline doesn't wear off.

Just please stay healthy!

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
He plays such a mature game for his age, everything he does is with purpose, he's competitive, intelligent, excellent skater. He's such a breath of fresh air, he plays in such a direct manner unlike a lot of the players on our team, and it seems like a lot of our players are following suit. I was so upset we traded Mittelstadt but apologies to Bowen Byram, I was not familiar with your game.

Reactions: GameMisconduct

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Right place at the right time. Its only been 3 games but he knows where to go in the offensive zone which is a real nice change. So much so that it makes the Buffalo players and coach look amateurish

Maybe he should be running drills in practice? :laugh:

Its the first thing that came to mind when I saw him play.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
I gotta be honest, I wasn't thrilled with this trade when it was announced.

The value seemed fair and I thought Byram was a great player but I envisioned an older (26-30) RHD vet in there prime. Another young LHD didn't seem like the player we need.

But after these few games, I am starting to think/admit maybe Byram is a player I didn't know we needed... Kid looks phenomenal!

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Who needs centers when you have offense on the blue line? :sarcasm:

What I really like about his game is how often he goes to the net. I think he spent more time either driving through in front of the goalie or alongside the paint than any forward did last night
He hasn't done enough 'circle the perimeter' drills with this coaching group.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I was in the Didn't Like The Trade club. Sure, a 5/6 would have kept us all quiet until the summer but the impact of adding a top pair guy makes the entire defense better by pushing everyone down and making their game easier. This could be one of the best units in the league next year if they can stay healthy. Glad to be wrong... again.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Avs fan here. Sabres are my Dad's team, so you guys have always been my #2. I have fun memories with my Dad rooting you on in your late 90's and 2006 and 2007 playoff runs.

Anyways, I'm really happy this trade is working out for both sides. My impressions from the get-go was that this was a trade that could work for both teams. I know there was some apprehension as to whether you guys needed another good young D-man, but I had a feeling that if Byram was given confidence to do his thing with more talented players on the ice (Bo would often play 3rd pair and with bottom 6 forwards, next to nil PP time) and a bigger role he'd get back to being the player he was in our Cup run. I think his time with the Avs and learning from Makar and Toews will serve him well in the long run. Now it's time for him to spread his wings and prove he's an elite player in this league.

You guys are playing at such a high level at the moment, I don't think playoffs are a pipe dream. If nothing else I hope you guys have found something sustainable to carry over into next year.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Awesome player to watch so far, such a good puck mover. Dude has elevated the whole squad, respect.

Avs fan here. Sabres are my Dad's team, so you guys have always been my #2. I have fun memories with my Dad rooting you on in your late 90's and 2006 and 2007 playoff runs.

Anyways, I'm really happy this trade is working out for both sides. My impressions from the get-go was that this was a trade that could work for both teams. I know there was some apprehension as to whether you guys needed another good young D-man, but I had a feeling that if Byram was given confidence to do his thing with more talented players on the ice (Bo would often play 3rd pair and with bottom 6 forwards, next to nil PP time) and a bigger role he'd get back to being the player he was in our Cup run. I think his time with the Avs and learning from Makar and Toews will serve him well in the long run. Now it's time for him to spread his wings and prove he's an elite player in this league.

You guys are playing at such a high level at the moment, I don't think playoffs are a pipe dream. If nothing else I hope you guys have found something sustainable to carry over into next year.

Appreciate the kind words, hope Mitts fits well in Colorado! And ya man, your optimism was kinda buried somewhere in my take on the trade, but I definitely didn’t think it’d start like this. Obviously we’ll see, but it’s a treat to watch the dude so far.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Now, if he ever sees that stadium rockin'in the playoffs- he'll really be in for a treat. The energy would be unreal given how hungry the fanbase is for a playoff team.

Also, was it Byram that cross checked that Isles player to the ice for getting too close to UPL resulting in a nice scrum in which Girgs came flying in like a kamikaze?

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Avs fan here. What people forget is that Byram had a MONSTER Stanley Cup Playoff run in 2022. He was the best player on the ice for a handful of games. Guy deserves to be a top pair Dman somewhere but was logjammed here behind Makar/Toews. Guy can flat-out play.

Middlestadt has been a revelation so far and was perfect for what the Avs needed. One of the rare trades that works out for both sides.

Sabres have become my second favorite team and will be fun to watch for a while.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad