Player Discussion Bowen Byram - LHD (4th OA 2019 - Trade with Avs 3-6-2024) 22 YO - Signed Thru 2024-25 $3.85 Million Cap Hit (RFA)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
See Cozens thread. Happy to wait for a full summer and some roster reconstruction.

We didn't miss the playoffs because of Bowen Byram.

It's interesting to see that him with Dahlin works and him with Jokiharju really, really, really does not. 99 minutes together and getting Oshied to the tune of 37% CF% (79 for, 133 against). Dahlin-Power are rocking at over 60% this year, Power-Jokiharju (45%) and Dahlin-Jokihaju (56%) so I would look at whoever gets stuck with Jokiharju without Dahlin is suffering.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It's interesting to see that him with Dahlin works and him with Jokiharju really, really, really does not. 99 minutes together and getting Oshied to the tune of 37% CF% (79 for, 133 against). Dahlin-Power are rocking at over 60% this year, Power-Jokiharju (45%) and Dahlin-Jokihaju (56%) so I would look at whoever gets stuck with Jokiharju without Dahlin is suffering.
Power-Dahlin

Byram-go get Matt Roy

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Another win for the pro scout, eh?

The sad part is……you’d think Adams would know on his own without much scout help. But, definitely. The team is a mess.

I think a lot of us agreed Casey was one of our better forwards. And this is what we received in return.

Pathetic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Power-Dahlin

Byram-go get Matt Roy

There is also the possibility of Samuelsson in this mix since last year, he and Power were really good together in terms of shot stuff (CF% of 60) in 112-ish minutes though I wonder since this year they dipped to 48.8% in that in 107ish minutes.

I like the idea of Roy. Whitecloud might be an option. They need stouter guys to soak the time on the PK that went to others IMO.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There is also the possibility of Samuelsson in this mix since last year, he and Power were really good together in terms of shot stuff (CF% of 60) in 112-ish minutes though I wonder since this year they dipped to 48.8% in that in 107ish minutes.

I like the idea of Roy. Whitecloud might be an option. They need stouter guys to soak the time on the PK that went to others IMO.
For sure. I want them to build a Vegas-style defense. The have the hardest-to-get parts.

Upcoming free agency has multiple defensive-RD. Tanev, DeMelo, Pesce, Roy. Get one.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007

The more I dig around in this, the more Jokiharju is the weakest link. Whoever of the other top four defense wind up with him wind up hobbled.

I definitely agree with your Jokiharju take. Though I'm not sure I agree with your characterization of Byram-Dahlin "working." While they scored at a very good clip, they also sported a 3.2 xGA/60 in their limited time together. That's awfully high event for Ras, who's down at about 2.5 xGA/60 when playing with anyone else.

I also think it's worth pointing out that Byram has a whopping 3.7 xGA/60 since coming to Buffalo. That's the worst of any defenseman in the NHL who has played at least 100 minutes during that stretch. Like, worse than anyone on the Sharks.

These are definitely small sample sizes, and being saddled with Joker isn't helping. But still, Byram has a lot of work to do on his defensive game before he can be a net positive for us in a top 4 role.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm for it, I don't trust Sammy to play 82, so I'd prefer to sign a 2nd Sammy.
I really like Samuelsson, but you have to plan on him missing at least 20 games a year until proven otherwise, IMO.

Plus, it would be nice to have at least one right-shot D that can be a solid top 4 guy.

It's so depressingly negative, isn't it?
After 13 years of no playoffs and the current state of the organization, I'm honestly surprised things are as relatively positive as they are.

sabresnyper

Jun 23, 2009
Syracuse, NY
I really like Samuelsson, but you have to plan on him missing at least 20 games a year until proven otherwise, IMO.

Plus, it would be nice to have at least one right-shot D that can be a solid top 4 guy.

After 13 years of no playoffs and the current state of the organization, I'm honestly surprised things are as relatively positive as they are.
Hope is a dangerous drug

Reactions: Uberpecker

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Oh shit we lost the trade already? Damn
It's the nature of the current microwave, hot take culture today.

Some of the same people that were saying the Sabres won the trade because Byram put up 5 pts in his first 4 games as a Sabre are now down on the trade in part because Byram has put up 3 pts in his last 13 games (and it was 1 pt in 11 games before having an assist in each of the last two games).

People have gotten into the habit of riding an extreme roller coaster game to game with the Sabres. And this is just one example of it.

Personally, I was worried about the trade from the outset because Mitts was finally turning into a solid 200 foot center and they traded him for a younger, cheaper, offensive-minded LHD that has had flashes, but struggled to develop into a complete, consistent player at the NHL level.

Not only is Byram a bit redundant with Dahlin & Power, but you are trading a center who had figured it out for a D that is still working to figure it out.

This is a trade that could absolutely burn Adams in the long run.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
It's the nature of the current microwave, hot take culture today.

Some of the same people that were saying the Sabres won the trade because Byram put up 5 pts in his first 4 games as a Sabre are now down on the trade in part because Byram has put up 3 pts in his last 13 games (and it was 1 pt in 11 games before having an assist in each of the last two games).

People have gotten into the habit of riding an extreme roller coaster game to game with the Sabres. And this is just one example of it.

Personally, I was worried about the trade from the outset because Mitts was finally turning into a solid 200 foot center and they traded him for a younger, cheaper, offensive-minded LHD that has had flashes, but struggled to develop into a complete, consistent player at the NHL level.

Not only is Byram a bit redundant with Dahlin & Power, but you are trading a center who had figured it out for a D that is still working to figure it out.

This is a trade that could absolutely burn Adams in the long run.
I don't disagree, because I felt the same + injury history. But were we really going to ever pay Casey 7 million long term? Probably not. If you want to argue him vs Cozens (who I think will pull it together) that's something else.

But after both Tage and Cozens were signed, unless you want to move one of Quinn or Peterka, Mittelstadt was good as gone.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't disagree, because I felt the same + injury history. But were we really going to ever pay Casey 7 million long term? Probably not. If you want to argue him vs Cozens (who I think will pull it together) that's something else.

But after both Tage and Cozens were signed, unless you want to move one of Quinn or Peterka, Mittelstadt was good as gone.

You could have easily fit all 3 long term, if you wanted to go that direction. The cap is going to be well over 90M by the time Peterka/Quinn are RFAs.

In the end, moving Mittelstadt was never an issue. I suggested that we needed to bring in a different type of center this summer as the mix wasn't functional. However, moving him for a d-man that isn't complementary to what they have is problematic.

The trade was, for better or worse, a money decision. And we will see this summer what the "plan" is, but, at least for now it seems that it is:

1. Replace Mittelstadt internally. Kulich, Savoie, Ostulund, Krebs. One of those.
2. Acquire a 4th line center
3. Acquire a top 6 Winger.

Adams has simply said as much.

What would have been more expensive would be to keep Mittelstadt, add a top 4 d-man, and a 4th line center and a top 6 winger.

Do-able, for sure, but expensive.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
You could have easily fit all 3 long term, if you wanted to go that direction. The cap is going to be well over 90M by the time Peterka/Quinn are RFAs.

In the end, moving Mittelstadt was never an issue. I suggested that we needed to bring in a different type of center this summer as the mix wasn't functional. However, moving him for a d-man that isn't complementary to what they have is problematic.

The trade was, for better or worse, a money decision. And we will see this summer what the "plan" is, but, at least for now it seems that it is:

1. Replace Mittelstadt internally. Kulich, Savoie, Ostulund, Krebs. One of those.
2. Acquire a 4th line center
3. Acquire a top 6 Winger.

Adams has simply said as much.

What would have been more expensive would be to keep Mittelstadt, add a top 4 d-man, and a 4th line center and a top 6 winger.

Do-able, for sure, but expensive.
I’m still hoping we are still willing to get a different type of 3C in exchange for a prospect and run one of the remaining young guys on his wing hoping to eventually move them there full time.

But as we’ve found out often that hope is futile with this brass lol

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This board never fails.
Look at you being positive.

1713192994383.png

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Also, and I'll whisper this in case Pegula gets electric shock from the statement:

With so many ELCs....everywhere, they can afford to have 5 top 4 D....

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad