Player Discussion Bowen Byram - LHD (4th OA 2019 - Trade with Avs 3-6-2024) 22 YO - Signed Thru 2024-25 $3.85 Million Cap Hit (RFA)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Drafted No. 4 overall in 2019, Byram has played all 26 Avalanche games this season and crossed 100 career games in November. The defenseman’s good health has been a silver lining in a self-described rocky start to the season.

During parts 2020-21 and 2021-22, his first two NHL seasons, Byram dealt with concussion issues and at points struggled to feel like himself both on and off the ice. He then was out nearly half of 2022-23 with a lower-body injury. In total, he missed 126 games to injury through his first three years with the Avalanche.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
#17 on Pronman's Best Under 23 Players and Prospects between William Smith and Jake Sanderson.

SmartSelect_20240306_143647_The Athletic.jpg

Byram played big minutes for Colorado last season when healthy, scoring 24 points in 42 games. He looks like a near no-doubt top-pair defenseman for a long time. He has exceptional skating ability with a stride that has power, a quick burst and great edge work. He is a physical defender who can close on his opponents so well due to that combo. His feet and great offensive skills make him dynamic on the rush. He activates a lot using his feet up the ice and off the blue line. I wouldn’t call his playmaking elite, but it’s good, and he has all the tools you want in a top defenseman. Byram projects as a star No. 1 defenseman in the league even though he’s on a team that has one of those already.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
With the amount of hate this is getting, I just know in 3 years Byram is going to be a stud and this thread will get bumped. So, I'm going to avoid eating future crow and say...not bad.

*just don't look at my reactions in the trade thread*

Still, for a young team trying to take the next step, this sets them back quite a bit.

Reactions: Club and Irie

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If he has a great shot, that is something really lacking on defense especially on the power play.

1709754851527.png

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
He is 22 years old LHD with 3 NHL concussions on a team with 4 other LHD. Oh, and also only has one more year on his contract, so it isn't even a long term move.

I don't understand the plan here? We need more forwards with some grit and a 200 ft game. We traded our best one who fills a role that is already filled on the roster.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
He is 22 years old LHD with 3 NHL concussions on a team with 4 other LHD. Oh, and also only has one more year on his contract, so it isn't even a long term move.

I don't understand the plan here? We need more forwards with some grit and a 200 ft game. We traded our best one who fills a role that is already filled on the roster.
He's RFA at the end of his current deal so he still has team control.

Reactions: yahhockey

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome to Buffalo, Bo!

I’m excited at what he could become. Now that he’s a Sabre, let’s focus on hoping he goes off and hits his potential.

He doesn’t hit UFA until either 2027 or 2028.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

When Byram is on the ice, everything runs through him and he dictates rather than reacts. It’s not just in a hang-onto-the-puck kind of way either (that’s not all that rare in junior hockey).

Byram’s shot is heavy and accurate (a lot of defencemen tend to sacrifice one for the other).

Byram has everything you look for in a shooter.

He beats goalies cleanly by picking his spots with his release. He rarely misses the net with his one-timer. He uses his feet to get pucks through when power isn’t the best option. He regularly goes short-side (which more young players need to adopt). And, maybe most of all, he doesn’t hesitate to drive the net when the opportunity is there.

Byram doesn’t relegate himself to the blue line just because he’s a defenceman. If there’s space to slide into, he’ll take advantage of those pockets.

That can work against him at times (more on that later) but is an absolutely necessary trait in a defenceman if he is to become more than just good.

He’s a game breaker. He’s dynamic. He impacts a game in several ways. And game breakers become first-pairing defencemen instead of second-pairing defencemen. Game breakers end up on PP1s instead of PP2s.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Welcome to Buffalo, Bo!

I’m excited at what he could become. Now that he’s a Sabre, let’s focus on hoping he goes off and hits his potential.

He doesn’t hit UFA until either 2027 or 2028.

I was just going off of capfriendly that said he signed a 2 year extension on Jul 1, 2023.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Reactions: BuffaloMango

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023

I whined up thread about what the overall plan is for the roster. But the kid definitely has tremendous upside if he can reach his potential in Buffalo.

That said, Congrats to Stanly Cup Champ Casey Mittlestadt. Based on the last few trades we have made he is next in line as the next former Sabre to hoist it over his head this year.

BuffaloMango

Mar 14, 2023
Yes but he’s an RFA so we have 2 or 3 more years of team control beyond next year.

I think with Power and Dahlin we are basically in the same situation we jus were with Mitts/Cozens/Thompson. In theory there was no need to even put Mitts on the trade block because he will be an RFA next year and the spend we already have on Cozens/Thompson.

If we get value out of this trade and Byram plays to his potential how much are we paying him on top of our current blue line contracts? I would not be shocked if Byram is back on the trade block 365 days from now.

Reactions: wunderpanda

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

He has FOUR YEARS of team control.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
IMO, Adams complete lack of action this past offseason is what accounted for the teams complete lack of motivation first half of the year. Retired players always talk about how demoralizing it is when the team does nothing to improve themselves. That's pretty much been all Adams has done as GM. He just keeps kicking the can down the street with the perpetual rebuild. 30 draft picks the past 3 years. I still can't believe he traded Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen and didn't get a starting goalie in return. This rebuild isn't ending with Adams.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad