Player Discussion Bowen Byram - LHD (4th OA 2019 - Trade with Avs 3-6-2024) 22 YO - Signed Thru 2024-25 $3.85 Million Cap Hit (RFA)

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

Regardless, the vibes will remain damnit!

It's understandable as he's played on several Hockey Canada teams with Cozens and Krebs

Avs fan here and I hate this trade. I never wanted Toews re-upped.

Buffalo are becoming my favorite team.

Any room for a new guy on your boards ?
You'll have to innoculate yourself against the cross thread whinging about KA, Granato and Pegula's cheapness

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'm over the initial shock of losing Mitts and excited to see what Byram turns into. This comes with the obvious caveat that he be used correctly and the rest of the roster gets balanced around him to be more competitive. But he is still a high-end piece with a winning, elite pedigree.
Between Dahlin and Power, we already have his skill set in the top-4. He's not the veteran presence (e.g. Roy, Pesce, Hanifin, Andersson) we were hoping for. A "nasty streak" and a willingness to fight with 3 concussions already in his career is scary, frankly, for him and the Sabres. The youngest team in the league just got younger. Whatever magic he can work on the PP will be limited; maybe he can displace Power, but he'll inevitably be a PP2 option at best.

I hate this, but Bo is a Sabre now. I'll be cheering for him to blossom in blue and gold. Let's give the kid a chance.
I don't think he's as redundant as it may seem, especially compared to Power. Byram is a much more intense player, in terms of skating, shooting, hitting, attitude - basically everything. He's actually the type of player I've wanted more of here because his energy and amplitude can be contagious and our slugs could use a spark. The injury concerns are a bummer, but he likely isn't available if not for them.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
I'm over the initial shock of losing Mitts and excited to see what Byram turns into. This comes with the obvious caveat that he be used correctly and the rest of the roster gets balanced around him to be more competitive. But he is still a high-end piece with a winning, elite pedigree.

I don't think he's as redundant as it may seem, especially compared to Power. Byram is a much more intense player, in terms of skating, shooting, hitting, attitude - basically everything. He's actually the type of player I've wanted more of here because his energy and amplitude can be contagious and our slugs could use a spark. The injury concerns are a bummer, but he likely isn't available if not for them.
Byram needs pp time and to be unleashed and play on his toes. The Toews signing affected him bigtime mentally.

He needed a fresh start

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Avs fan here and I hate this trade. I never wanted Toews re-upped.

Buffalo are becoming my favorite team.

Any room for a new guy on your boards ?
Don’t do it. Leave while you can.

Byram needs pp time and to be unleashed and play on his toes. The Toews signing affected him bigtime mentally.

He needed a fresh start
He’s not gonna get much PP time here unfortunately which is why we are confused

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
He played 20 minutes a night on a legit contender thus year.

He's 22 and has additional upside.

He has played on the right recently and seemed competent.

He's a cup winner and played a significant role on that team as a rookie.

He's a beloved teammate who keeps things light and fun.

He also has leadership qualities.

He will actually produce offense from the backend.

Edit: my bad, they didn't win the cup his rookie year. He had played some in the covid year. Still though, he contributed to that run as a very young player.

Last edited:

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

1709773598740.png

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
People here forget linear isn’t development. Byram is extremely high potential player who is young and has shown significant stretches of being a very good defensmen in this league.

He’s a huge acquisition. But the same people are also acting like Power and Cozens are crap. These are all very talented players who are still developing.

Losing Mitts sucks, but discounting Byram because he’s having rough stretch is just silly

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
People here forget linear isn’t development. Byram is extremely high potential player who is young and has shown significant stretches of being a very good defensmen in this league.

He’s a huge acquisition. But the same people are also acting like Power and Cozens are crap. These are all very talented players who are still developing.

Losing Mitts sucks, but discounting Byram because he’s having rough stretch is just silly
The Power hate specifically is hilarious imo

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

At the beginning of last season Byram was also considered virtually untouchable by Avs fans on the board. Some comparing him and Dahlin. Not saying they are comparable, but having a down year seems like is what's soured some of their fan base on him and as we've seen with many Sabres Dmen in the past, you can't give up after a single down season from a young Dman.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad