Player Discussion Bowen Byram - LHD (4th OA 2019 - Trade with Avs 3-6-2024) 22 YO - Signed Thru 2024-25 $3.85 Million Cap Hit (RFA)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I think with Power and Dahlin we are basically in the same situation we jus were with Mitts/Cozens/Thompson. In theory there was no need to even put Mitts on the trade block because he will be an RFA next year and the spend we already have on Cozens/Thompson.

If we get value out of this trade and Byram plays to his potential how much are we paying him on top of our current blue line contracts? I would not be shocked if Byram is back on the trade block 365 days from now.

He is not a $7 M d-man. He will be making way less than Casey. We have four years to figure it out

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'm more than a little intrigued by the multiple reports saying that Byram has a little nasty to him. So maybe he is something more than a standard-issue PMD.

I don’t watch him much, but in my mind he’s very physical. But who knows where that comes from

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He is 23 in June and will be 25 after the 25-26 season. Unsure if of the calendar date for age cut off, but that is what I was going off of.
He's on a bridge deal and has rights to arbitration after 24/25. Sabres could opt for a 2 year there I think, then he'd be an UFA after that. They could also go 1 year, and let him go back to arbitration again. So it seems they have control a min of 3.25 season.

That's a long time off considering player movement in the league. Adams probably wont even be the GM then.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Between Dahlin and Power, we already have his skill set in the top-4. He's not the veteran presence (e.g. Roy, Pesce, Hanifin, Andersson) we were hoping for. A "nasty streak" and a willingness to fight with 3 concussions already in his career is scary, frankly, for him and the Sabres. The youngest team in the league just got younger. Whatever magic he can work on the PP will be limited; maybe he can displace Power, but he'll inevitably be a PP2 option at best.

I hate this, but Bo is a Sabre now. I'll be cheering for him to blossom in blue and gold. Let's give the kid a chance.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It does add someone who was an important player in a Cup run who isn't at the end of his career. That may have some value. I'm curious to see if he's got some closet nasty to his game since what I've seen has been more about him being smart or mobile than physically engaged as a manner of defending.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He is not a $7 M d-man. He will be making way less than Casey. We have four years to figure it out
We have essentially to the end of next season to figure it out. His current deal expires after next season. Then he has only 2 RFA years left

He’s also Arb eligible and has far more leverage than Power, who got 8mil per. You’re delusional if you think he wont get at least 7mil on a mid to long term deal.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I hate the trade but really like the prospect. Injury history is terrible so I don't get it from a value standpoint, he also plays our only strong position. Not his fault though.

I hope he can play bumper on the pp and finds a unique role on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad