Speculation: Bouwmeester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Let's see you come up with a list of 60 players whom you consider top-pairing defensemen in the NHL, and then we'll see if your definition of a first-pairing defenseman holds up.

Perhaps you simply mean that Kronwall is not as good as Lidstrom. In that event, I agree, but it means nothing.

I'm working so I can't humor you beyond saying Ericsson and Bouwmeester are top pairing dmen. Kronwall wasn't a top pairing guy when Lids was here and he certainly doesn't look like one now.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Are we tanking for Reinhart/Ekblad next year? Ouellet may be advanced for his age but his not ready for the NHL level, Sproul can't really play defence at the OHL level (he's average or below average) and is imo 2-3 years away from the NHL, DeKeyser hasn't even signed with us yet & we don't know how he will play, and Kindl is one of our top 4 dmen this year no way is he our 7th next year.
That's my fault, I thought my post was indicitive of the fact this team / that defense is years away from being a true contender. But in any event, yes, that is correct.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
There are definitely not 60 Dmen better than Kronwall in the NHL. Kronwall can be a top pairing Dman, he is just not a #1 Dman. Meaning, he can play on the top pairing while complimenting a true #1, he can not carry a top pairing as THE #1.

There are NOT 30 #1-Quality dmen in the NHL. A true #1 player (at an position) should be able to go to any team in the NHL and can be argued to be that team's best player at that position. Now, there are some exceptions i.e. teams with Crosby's and Chara's where they will be the #1 position player no matter who else shows up. But, guys like Weber, Keith, Yandle, Doughty, they could go to any team in the NHL and be that team's best Dman.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Niklas Kronwall - 24 points
Rest of the defense combined (6 players) - 34 points
Third on the team in points scored

People overlook his offensive ability so much, and only focus on the defensive gaffs. Karlsson, Letang, and Enstrom aren't defensive rocks by any means, and I would argue that Kronwall is better defensively than 2 of those. Kronwall is, and never will be, a shutdown defenseman. How many number ones can bring a great offensive angle to their game, still play good defense, and log big minutes every night for 4.75 mil per season. Not many. He's not nearly the rock that Lidstrom was in his own end, but to call him a 2nd pairing guy is just not well thought out. Call him an ideal #2, that's fine and very likely true, but the guy never gets praise for any good things he does.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I'm working so I can't humor you beyond saying Ericsson and Bouwmeester are top pairing dmen. Kronwall wasn't a top pairing guy when Lids was here and he certainly doesn't look like one now.
How many top pairing guys are in the league, 5, 10?
There are definitely not 60 Dmen better than Kronwall in the NHL. Kronwall can be a top pairing Dman, he is just not a #1 Dman. Meaning, he can play on the top pairing while complimenting a true #1, he can not carry a top pairing as THE #1.

There are NOT 30 #1-Quality dmen in the NHL. A true #1 player (at an position) should be able to go to any team in the NHL and can be argued to be that team's best player at that position. Now, there are some exceptions i.e. teams with Crosby's and Chara's where they will be the #1 position player no matter who else shows up. But, guys like Weber, Keith, Yandle, Doughty, they could go to any team in the NHL and be that team's best Dman.
I am not sure I get it what you mean.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand the judgement of a player is almost always subjective, but this line of yours is something that makes me question whether we're talking about the same Jason Bouwmeester.

Could you expand on this?

Last edited:

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Niklas Kronwall - 24 points
Rest of the defense combined (6 players) - 34 points
Third on the team in points scored

People overlook his offensive ability so much, and only focus on the defensive gaffs. Karlsson, Letang, and Enstrom aren't defensive rocks by any means, and I would argue that Kronwall is better defensively than 2 of those. Kronwall is, and never will be, a shutdown defenseman. How many number ones can bring a great offensive angle to their game, still play good defense, and log big minutes every night for 4.75 mil per season. Not many. He's not nearly the rock that Lidstrom was in his own end, but to call him a 2nd pairing guy is just not well thought out. Call him an ideal #2, that's fine and very likely true, but the guy never gets praise for any good things he does.

I think that as a result of all the time people here spent watching Lidstrom, there's a general consensus that if our #1 defenseman isn't perfect, then he sucks ass and needs to be replaced.

People will really need to abandon that sentiment.

RedWingsNow*

I think that as a result of all the time people here spent watching Lidstrom, there's a general consensus that if our #1 defenseman isn't perfect, then he sucks ass and needs to be replaced.

People will really need to abandon that sentiment.

People with eyeballs have been watching Nick Lidstrom be less than perfect for 3-4 years.

The fall from 2012 Lidstrom to 2013 Kronwall isn't that great.

The problem is that we don't have anyone taking Kronwall's old job and doing well (although Kindl is showing some ability of late).

And that nobody has replaced Stuart.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Excellent game by Bouwmeester tonight. The Flames lost 6-4, and in over 20 minutes of time on ice, he was a -4 and somehow managed to figure into none of the Flames' goals. He directly figured into three of the goals against.

Goal-against 1: Bouwmeester was directly responsible for the 2-on-1 that led to this Jackets goal, as he pinched in to pick up a puck that was coming off the boards and completely whiffed on it (despite the puck being flat on the ice).
Goal-against 2: Bouwmeester completely failed to defend Calvert, who snipes it over him and into the net.
Goal-against 3: Bouwmeester failed to pick up a man coming late on the rush next to him, and also failed to intercept the pass to that player. Goal.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Excellent game by Bouwmeester tonight. The Flames lost 6-4, and in over 20 minutes of time on ice, he was a -4 and somehow managed to figure into none of the Flames' goals. He directly figured into three of the goals against.

Goal-against 1: Bouwmeester was directly responsible for the 2-on-1 that led to this Jackets goal, as he pinched in to pick up a puck that was coming off the boards and completely whiffed on it (despite the puck being flat on the ice).
He was anticipating the Blue Jacket's player getting a piece of it and tried to just get in the way. It happens to everybody.
Goal-against 2: Bouwmeester completely failed to defend Calvert, who snipes it over him and into the net.
Failed to defend? He kept between the puck carrier and the goaltender and Calvert just made a nice play. Don't forget there was a potential Blue Jackets pass option for Calvert and he had to be aware of that (which he was).
Goal-against 3: Bouwmeester failed to pick up a man coming late on the rush next to him, and also failed to intercept the pass to that player. Goal.
Are you kidding? He covered the direct pass option which was the easiest play for the Blue Jacket to make. He forced the puck carrier to make a lower percentage pass which ended up connecting (the forward also bears a lot of responsibility for back checking there).

Honestly, your nitpicking on three instances is strange for this guy. In one game.

RaySheppard

Oct 9, 2010
Well, Franzen used to play a lot of shorthanded time, so it isn't like he doesn't have the potential to be a 2 way forward who eats up shorthanded minutes. Babcock just has chosen not to put him out there for the past few years.

And why is that? I'd take Brown over lazy Franzen. Not sure why anybody would even argue they are very different players.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Boumeester would be a great pick up. He is a top 15-20 D man no question.

Doughty, Weber, Suter, OEL, Pietrengelo, Kulikov, McDonaugh, Letang, Hedman, Enstrom, Phaneuf, Karlsson, Chara, Girardi, Edler, Burns, Boyle.

I just named 17 guys without even giving it much thought that I would rather have over Bowumeester. So I question that remark exceptionally. Hell, I'm not convinced he's better than Kronwall. I think that's up to be questioned as well.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
So if a player dives, in an attempt to draw a penalty, he has no heart? That makes sense.
If he plays a tough game, then it is very bad of him to be a diver. It's bad to dive in 1st place, but specially bad if a player plays tough.

6-1 and 6-4 is a big difference.
Doughty, Weber, Suter, OEL, Pietrengelo, Kulikov, McDonaugh, Letang, Hedman, Enstrom, Phaneuf, Karlsson, Chara, Girardi, Edler, Burns, Boyle.

I just named 17 guys without even giving it much thought that I would rather have over Bowumeester. So I question that remark exceptionally. Hell, I'm not convinced he's better than Kronwall. I think that's up to be questioned as well.

Nice that you came up with a list.:handclap:

Dogkota

Mar 27, 2009

Pretty awesome that your list contains a d-man so bad he was converted to a forward recently

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Letang, Suter, Subban, Keith, Seabrook, Weber, Pietereangleo, Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Karlsson, Chara, Phaneuf, Enstrom, Campbell, Shattenkirk, Boyle, Doughty, Girardi, Byfuglien.

Not in any particular order. But there's 20 D I'm taking over Bouwmeester any day.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
There's no question that Bouwmeester would be a good addition to the team, but it has to be the right price. He's not a young guy, and even though I don't watch him regularly, I get the feeling he's not as good as he used to be (or look) in Florida. The truth is that we (again) have little suitable trading value.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
J-Bo has that ugly cap number...that's enough to scare me away. I like his game but he's not $6.8 million good.

I'd make a run at Streit as a rental...Bouwmeester is a bigger commitment than they need to make.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I'd rather get Robidas, resign Kindl... Do a little work on the front end....

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Jaromir Jagr ($4.550m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.975m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.300m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.500m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.098% of upper limit)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.025m—1.0%) Kyle Quincey ($0.038m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,998,962; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $5,621,038

This is thinking about next year, mind you.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
This gets my stamp of approval. This would blow my mind. Hindsights always 20/20 ... but gets Jagr for 3 mill last year definitely would have been nice - hes 41 and in better physical condition than a flabby 33 year old Franzen.

I'd rather get Robidas, resign Kindl... Do a little work on the front end....

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Jaromir Jagr ($4.550m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Nathan Horton ($5.000m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.975m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Stephane Robidas ($3.300m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.500m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($4.500m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.098% of upper limit)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.025m—1.0%) Kyle Quincey ($0.038m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,998,962; BONUSES: $320,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $5,621,038

This is thinking about next year, mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad