Pre-Game Talk: Bounce. Back. Oilers Leafs Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The way I see it the Leafs probably hold serve in last 2 of these games and we end up with a split in last 2. I mean even if we somehow win both leafs have already assured remaining in first for now. These are tough games. We probably get one of them. We probably battle with Winnipeg for 2nd spot in division. People hate the leafs all day but they really are a solid club. imo they were always going to be first. No surprise. I mean they're out Matthews and Simmonds and still put together a better topline and topsix last night. They're a deeper club than us.

Matthew, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds. We don't have anything close to that depth in forwards. I mean the reality on our lineup is even guys like Kerfoot would be in our topsix.

We're not going to beat the Leafs many times when Connor and Leon are not the best players on the ice and pulling the sled.

Wouldn't like the matchup either in a playoff round unless we pick up a one or two topsix players and a goalie.
To me, the Jets are the real wildcard in this. Rocking a +16 and adding Dubois, along with 3 games in hand on the Leafs puts them in a real nice position. Now, I know you have to win games in hand, but I'm really looking forward to them playing the Leafs when the time comes. Great goaltending, a rebuilt defence that seems to be getting better with Pionk becoming a star, and a set of top forwards that are matched only by the Leafs in this division. Plus I think their coach is excellent.

Reactions: asa and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To me, the Jets are the real wildcard in this. Rocking a +16 and adding Dubois, along with 3 games in hand on the Leafs puts them in a real nice position. Now, I know you have to win games in hand, but I'm really looking forward to them playing the Leafs when the time comes. Great goaltending, a rebuilt defence that seems to be getting better with Pionk becoming a star, and a set of top forwards that are matched only by the Leafs in this division. Plus I think their coach is excellent.

Speaking to the converted. All along as well I said Dubois was a solid add, and a better well rounded player than Laine. Jets are for real, not totally sold on their goaltending and they can get running around on D.

But I like the Jets style of play and probably the best coach in the division. Doesn't get enough credit. Pionk is incredible add btw. Good scouting finding that one. Turns out "the price you have to pay" is next to nothing. We trade Hall for Larsson, Jets lose the complaining Troubal they get a better stud, just like that, in Pionk. Tale of two orgs I guess..

But both Toronto and Winnipeg have solid forward depth. I mean the fact that addons like Turris have blown up right in our face like a hand grenade don't help.

Quite addons like Thornton, Simmonds, Kerfoot were available. Man, I wish we could have sprung for Dubois somehow, or even a Toffoli or Hoffman, alas. Least we have Pulju back.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The way I see it the Leafs probably hold serve in last 2 of these games and we end up with a split in last 2. I mean even if we somehow win both leafs have already assured remaining in first for now. These are tough games. We probably get one of them. We probably battle with Winnipeg for 2nd spot in division. People hate the leafs all day but they really are a solid club. imo they were always going to be first. No surprise. I mean they're out Matthews and Simmonds and still put together a better topline and topsix last night. They're a deeper club than us.

Matthew, Marner, Tavares, Nylander, Spezza, Thornton, Simmonds. We don't have anything close to that depth in forwards. I mean the reality on our lineup is even guys like Kerfoot would be in our topsix.

We're not going to beat the Leafs many times when Connor and Leon are not the best players on the ice and pulling the sled.

Wouldn't like the matchup either in a playoff round unless we pick up a one or two topsix players and a goalie.

They definitely have the big name guys but I would suggest their forward depth is being overrated a little bit here. The ones you listed are all notable players, with Matthews, Marner and Nylander being great / star players. Tavares has been sort of mediocre (for his standards) since before this season started. I mean, certainly he was nearly a PPG player last season but he's not really playing at full value for his contract. The contract looked ugly since it was signed and IMO it hasn't aged very well already. Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds are fine vet depth for sure, but it seems like we've seen them in some of their better games this year. Spezza was waived and could have retired but he's always good for a goal against the Oilers for whatever reason.

The biggest problem with the Leafs is they have too much cap tied up on forwards. Imagine if they swapped out Matthews (or preferably) Tavares for a D of that price point. Hate to say it but they would actually be cup contenders. If they had a true #1D pushing down Muzzin, Brody and Reilly to #2 / #3 spots they would have a heck of a D group.

They're going to get exposed, once again, in the playoffs. It will look better for them this time because they likely make it out of a round or two due to the nature of this season and them matching up very well against the teams in this division. I think the Jets can surprise them and take them in 5 or 6, and maybe an outside chance that the Oilers take them in 7 depending on injuries on either side, who is added at the deadline etc.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Agreed. I don't know if the standings shake out this way but I'd rank the teams for overall quality / depth as such:

(Close to great rosters with a hole here or there)
Jets
Leafs

(Rosters needs some work but have some strengths)
Oilers
Habs
Flames

(Needs a lot of work)
Canucks
Senators

If things continue to go right for the Jets, especially if they can get another top 4D at the deadline I can see them making the Cup Finals.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
They definitely have the big name guys but I would suggest their forward depth is being overrated a little bit here. The ones you listed are all notable players, with Matthews, Marner and Nylander being great / star players. Tavares has been sort of mediocre (for his standards) since before this season started. I mean, certainly he was nearly a PPG player last season but he's not really playing at full value for his contract. The contract looked ugly since it was signed and IMO it hasn't aged very well already. Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds are fine vet depth for sure, but it seems like we've seen them in some of their better games this year. Spezza was waived and could have retired but he's always good for a goal against the Oilers for whatever reason.

The biggest problem with the Leafs is they have too much cap tied up on forwards. Imagine if they swapped out Matthews (or preferably) Tavares for a D of that price point. Hate to say it but they would actually be cup contenders. If they had a true #1D pushing down Muzzin, Brody and Reilly to #2 / #3 spots they would have a heck of a D group.

They're going to get exposed, once again, in the playoffs. It will look better for them this time because they likely make it out of a round or two due to the nature of this season and them matching up very well against the teams in this division. I think the Jets can surprise them and take them in 5 or 6, and maybe an outside chance that the Oilers take them in 7 depending on injuries on either side, who is added at the deadline etc.
This is likely the reason Tavaras got extra $$$'s and term in his deal.

tavarestwitter.jpg

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Excellent post. Yeah, leafs are not playoff configured it seems but neither are we. I think their D probably underrated and I'm pretty solid on Reilly, Muzzin, they don't have the 1D, true, but many teams don't. Tavares has got a bad knock and he's been floating imo But he's still a career PPG player, they don't grow on trees, and he's a player that is certainly able to elevate his game. Overpaid, sure, better than what we have after tripod? sure.

Leafs ARE built to compete now. Lots of vet presence on the club, vet leadership, and it shows in spades. They could get out of division this year. I think jets have the best chance against them. Oilers if we get some help at TDL.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Leafs played very well yesterday, highly doubt they can repeat that effort for 3 straight games. Also, wait till we get a few powerplays :)

What happened to the usual 'game management' like we see from the refs in most games that we have a couple goal lead? (Remembers it was the Leafs we played, so question is answered.)

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed. I don't know of the standings shake out this way but I'd rank the teams for overall quality / depth as such:

(Close to great rosters with a hole here or there)
Jets
Leafs

(Rosters needs some work but have some strengths)
Oilers
Habs
Flames

(Needs a lot of work)
Canucks
Senators

If things continue to go right for the Jets, especially if they can get another top 4D at the deadline I can see them making the Cup Finals.

Really don't feel that the Oilers are in the second group. They're better than Habs, Flames. The latter two clubs getting buy just on goaltending and prayers. We're in a kind of middle ground above Habs and Flames but below the top two. Although I still think McDrai find ways to bring us close to the jets.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well and considering Nurse scored majority of his goals this year vs Hogberg and mostly doesn't have a threatening shot from far out, if he has 7 shots on goal in a game, you're probably not winning.
Yes, but once its Bouchard unleashing from the left side (or right) instead of Nurse or Russell, TML may have to rethink their strategy .

Reactions: Paralyzer008

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Oilers need a bounce back game. :ghost2:

(I take no responsibility for any posts in this thread.)

Lines

Kahun - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Honey Badger
Ennis - Khaira - Archie
Nygard - Haas - Chaisson

Nurse - Barrie
Lagesson - Larsson
Bouchard - Bear

Koskinen and pray

I would like to see Neal in as well but I don’t see him pulling out Ennis, Chaisson or Kahun to make room.

Making a Pre GDT takes considerable less time and effort than a GDT in case anyone is wondering.

Thanks again for the epic six game GDT set you provided us with. Guessing that took you close to a regular 40 hour work week to complete. Major props. ;)

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Really don't feel that the Oilers are in the second group. They're better than Habs, Flames. The latter two clubs getting buy just on goaltending and prayers. We're in a kind of middle ground above Habs and Flames but below the top two. Although I still think McDrai find ways to bring us close to the jets.
Flames are underperforming right now (and i hope it stretches til the end of the season) but they are on par with Oilers and Habs.

They just got 3 out of 4 possible pts vs TML so its really a crapshoot.
We have built a nice cushion but the gap could close real fast if we go on a losing streak. See Habs.

Gotta win one against the Leafs and play above .500 hockey afterwards .

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Thanks again for the epic six game GDT set you provided us with. Guessing that took you close to a regular 40 hour work week to complete. Major props. ;)

Thanks! It was a lot of fun to do and I learned how to do a few new things on the old Mac so good deal all around!

Pressure's on the next one up. We need another 3-4 game heater!!!!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to do and I learned how to do a few new things on the old Mac so good deal all around!

Pressure's on the next one up. We need another 3-4 game heater!!!!
I will add great job too, and thanks so much.

The choice to do the next GDT will be "controversial", I think.;)

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011

Honestly I wanted to put them up in the first tier or have them alone in a 2nd tier but they're borderline I feel. They have holes but need a lot less work than the Habs and Flames and McDrai are far beyond anyone on either of those two teams (obviously). With more cap this offseason Oilers should easily be in the first tier of Canadian teams :crossfing

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Flames are underperforming right now (and i hope it stretches til the end of the season) but they are on par with Oilers and Habs.

They just got 3 out of 4 possible pts vs TML so its really a crapshoot.
We have built a nice cushion but the gap could close real fast if we go on a losing streak. See Habs.

Gotta win one against the Leafs and play above .500 hockey afterwards .

No way the Flames are as good as the Oilers. On what basis? Have you seen dead Mohahan anytime lately? lol at a club that has Milan Lucic as one of their better players.

The leafs completely looked off the Flames and were clearly looking at the matchup with the Oilers. The Flames are a non entity. No way that the Leafs played the Flames well. The 3 game tilt between the Oil and Leafs was clearly in the minds of both clubs. its a matchup that occur during playoffs. Nobody is worried about the Flames.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I am a broken record, but man does Tippett pi** me off with that second line. It needs a steady lager body. It's so easy to see. You need a strong guyw ith a good stick. Doesn't have to be some big scorer. A guy like Armia, Danault. The line has not been able to do much of anything in the o zone with any sustained pressure. Last year Yammo was digging pucks out. Right now, him and Kahun get boxed out or pinned sooo easily and it is back down to our end.

The small guys basically have to be Patrick Kane like. It's too much one and done with them. I hope he tries JP or RNH there next game.

Kind of crazy that we can't even complain about the bottom 6 for so long. They are holding their own.

And FFS go with 7D or throw Russell tot he sun. I hope Bouchard is not injured. Barely hear anything on Legesson either.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Honestly I wanted to put them up in the first tier or have them alone in a 2nd tier but they're borderline I feel. They have holes but need a lot less work than the Habs and Flames and McDrai are far beyond anyone on either of those two teams (obviously). With more cap this offseason Oilers should easily be in the first tier of Canadian teams :crossfing
If Holland has a good offseason I could see this team knocking on the door of contender status

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Serious question... how many times after a loss/failure to launch type showing, do we have to see media headlines like this one?

'We need to have more drive': Oilers eyeing a better effort in rematch vs. Leafs

what is it about this group that they admittedly, need constant reminding about starting times for games and needing to show more “drive”? I can think of a few times that this has been stated by the players after a loss, you would think this wouldn’t be an issue any longer. This isn’t a young team. Frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad