Confirmed with Link: Boudreau fired; Evason interim head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Also kind of funny: we keep proving the old line about coaches getting fired for the performance of their goalies. Not that I really put last night's game on Stalock, but that infographic was pretty illuminating: this team rarely loses when we get better than 0.900 goaltending. Considering the quality of shots our goalies face, that shouldn't be a high bar.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Also kind of funny: we keep proving the old line about coaches getting fired for the performance of their goalies. Not that I really put last night's game on Stalock, but that infographic was pretty illuminating: this team rarely loses when we get better than 0.900 goaltending. Considering the quality of shots our goalies face, that shouldn't be a high bar.

I'm not sure how good an argument it is, but I'd argue an above average NHL goalie stops goals #1 and #3. Stalock was sooo slow getting from left to right on the first goal (not typical for him) and the 3rd one was on the ice and the deflection wasn't hard enough to warrant it getting by. Unless he simply didn't see it at all I guess.

There are games that have a lot better examples than those, though, obviously. But it's been such an obvious problem all year.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
7-3-1 in their last 11 and 3 points out of a playoff spot. The timing makes zero sense. I'm not a huge fan of how Bruce runs the lines but I don't get making the change now when his contract shifts away from coaching in 2 months anyway.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not sure how good an argument it is, but I'd argue an above average NHL goalie stops goals #1 and #3. Stalock was sooo slow getting from left to right on the first goal (not typical for him) and the 3rd one was on the ice and the deflection wasn't hard enough to warrant it getting by. Unless he simply didn't see it at all I guess.

There are games that have a lot better examples than those, though, obviously. But it's been such an obvious problem all year.
Yeah, I just struggle to pick apart specific goals because I really don't understand the position well enough. In aggregate though we're probably soundly in a playoff spot with league average goaltending, and the coach probably doesn't get fired right now.

Still, he was probably gone over the summer regardless.

Reactions: Dee Oh Cee

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
The way I see it, there’s two options
1- Guerin is going full rebuild and is throwing the year away. This would kind of contradict what he’s said though. They’ve won like what, 7/11 games, and the only thing gems done in that stretch is fire BB and trade Zucker.
2- him and Guerin haven’t been seeing eye to eye and this was just a necessary move

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Yeah the timing doesn't make a ton of sense here. But I was on board with moving on in the off season. Love the guy and wish him nothing but the best.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Oh please. Bruce isn't the problem and this team is not good enough to make the playoffs or do some damage.
His contract is up at the end of the season, this is just stupid.
he is a part of the problem, the entire organization is a problem that needs fixing, players coaches management all of it has needed to be fixed. he is not the worst coach in the world but he still is not that great of a coach. I like his initial hire but after a few years of watching him his style was unappealing to me.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Anyone think that maybe Boudreau pushed this outcome? Maybe he went in the GMs office and asked for an extension. Coaches and GMs rarely play out their contract and re-sign with their team. Coaches need credibility in front of their players that they will be there for the foreseeable future. Without it, players dont have as much incentive to be receptive to the coaches instructions.

So, seeing the moves Guerin was making and the season didn't have much promise to get better anyway, maybe Boudreau demanded an extension or to be let go.

I wouldn't be surprised if that played a part.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

That was an amazing stat - something like 23-4-4, for the most minimally achievable goalie stat.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I think Guerin wants to miss playoffs this year, he wont admit that but Maybe feels Team will now go in tank with Boudreau firing
It's really the only way this makes sense. Guerin recognizes this isn't a cup team and wants his coach to be on board with riding the young guys instead, letting them make mistakes and give games away to get a clearer look at their future. Bruce isn't going to willfully do that in his last year.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Anyone think that maybe Boudreau pushed this outcome? Maybe he went in the GMs office and asked for an extension. Coaches and GMs rarely play out their contract and re-sign with their team. Coaches need credibility in front of their players that they will be there for the foreseeable future. Without it, players dont have as much incentive to be receptive to the coaches instructions.

So, seeing the moves Guerin was making and the season didn't have much promise to get better anyway, maybe Boudreau demanded an extension or to be let go.

I wouldn't be surprised if that played a part.
Doesn't sound like it.
Guerin told the veteran coach it was something he was thinking about for awhile and Boudreau immediately walked out of the room and left the practice facility.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
On KFAN Russo just said the opposite of one of the comments above here, he thinks that Guerin wants to make the playoffs badly. Could all just be smokescreen though.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
On KFAN Russo just said the opposite of one of the comments above here, he thinks that Guerin wants to make the playoffs badly. Could all just be smokescreen though.
Maybe he is tired of seeing leads being blown by slowing down and playing on our heals all the time late in games and wants a more cutthroat coach who doesn't let up?

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Russo was just speculating purely because they are very close friends.

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
Bizarre timing unless Guerin/Leopold intend on going after Gallant or Laviolette before other coaches get fired at the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad