Confirmed with Link: Boucher fired

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Stone wanted to leave, you can list reasons why all day long. In the end he left because that is what he wanted.
If he wanted to leave, why did it fall apart Friday before the trade deadline? Why did he make up his mind after the Jersey game?

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
You have to remember this is a career for Mark Stone. He had to make a business decision. I've been in the situation before where you have to make a hard decision like that for the betterment of your career.

At the end of the day, it's the organization's fault for failing to create and environment where Stone thought he could succeed. Mark made the correct decision, and I will cheer him loudly wherever he goes from here.

I do understand that, and your argument. I just feel that when your career is one of professionnel athlete, your relationship with your employer is not the only one you have. You are connected to your community and to your fans as well. Little kids who look up to you. I’m not saying Mark should have made a different choice, only that he could have. It would have meant everything to this fanbase at a very tough time.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think Stone knew for quite a while he wasn't going to sign in Ottawa. He wants to win.
Not the impression I got from his comments. Why was he still listening to offers if he wanted to win?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Not the impression I got from his comments. Why was he still listening to offers if he wanted to win?

Why wouldn't he? Everyone would listen. He was offered 10.5 million per year and still didn't sign. He flat out said after the trade that this is what he wanted. He was never close to signing with Ottawa. They had over a year to do this. Vegas needed half an hour lol

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In an ideal world, I honestly think Stone's preference would be to win in Ottawa. But by the end, he realized that odds were that wasn't going to happen any time soon.

I will say this though; based on Anderson and Boro's comments about the coaching, and my assumption that the rest of the locker room is on the same page as them, would it not have made far more sense to fire Boucher ahead of trying to sign Duchene, Stone, and Dzingel?

Reactions: RaMai and Cloud

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
Dorion did say that he and the agent exchanged proposals earlier in the week before the deadline. So it did sound like there maybe was a price we could have had him for. But maybe it was a price he knew couldn’t/wouldn’t be paid, and therefore he was never in danger of having us accept it. Lol.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know it's interesting to speculate about why Stone left, but this thread is about Boucher getting fired, so unless you can frame your comments around Boucher leaving or coaching in general, the reasons Stone left are better off being made in another thread.

On another note: I just spend 15 mins cleaning up all the crap posting. If somebody is taking shots at you or another poster, don't respond, report it.

Reactions: Tundraman

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
In an ideal world, I honestly think Stone's preference would be to win in Ottawa. But by the end, he realized that odds were that wasn't going to happen any time soon.

I will say this though; based on Anderson and Boro's comments about the coaching, and my assumption that the rest of the locker room is on the same page as them, would it not have made far more sense to fire Boucher ahead of trying to sign Duchene, Stone, and Dzingel?

Totally...and this from someone who was a Boucher supporter. But I always held the belief that if he had lost the room then he needed to go. Personally I hadn't thought he had lost the room but if what Anderson and others are saying is true ( and I have no reason to doubt them ) then Boucher should have been let go long ago.
But ultimately this just adds up to another massive fail by Dorion...it's HIS job to recognize these types of things and act accordingly.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Jacques Martin didn’t want to play Jason ****ing spezza. Logan brown will never get a shift.

Also Jacques Martin is well respected in the league. He will tall melnyk to shove it up his ass before he puts up with any of this Bs.
He wanted Jason to play some D and stop drop passing to the other team. Not unreasonable.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Hopefully, we can find an assistant coach who looks like Frankenstein, so when Jacques goes back behind the bench we have both..Count Chocula & Frankenberry

saskytaxi

Feb 13, 2019
sasky
Had no problems with boucher. I think hes a good coach. Not a top tier coach but people always over speculate about coaches. Hes happy to leave this mess.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He wanted Jason to play some D and stop drop passing to the other team. Not unreasonable.
Taught him that by scratching him? All Martin did in regards to spezza was burn two years of him. That sens team had an offensive superstar right there and chose not to use him

Edit: in no way am I saying Logan brown is Jason spezza. Not even close

Reactions: JungleBeat

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Has anyone figured out Mendes' question? Was it playing Gibbons, and Lindberg less than 10 minutes, Was it playing batherson 12 minutes?
Playing the vets against the macdavid line?
vets killing penelties+harpur and jaros?

He's been doing this all year to an extent though.

The Melnyk theory makes the most sense given the story Doug Maclean told about Melnyk calling Bryan Murray 7 teams in what must have been a 10 minute span after a game trying to instruct him to fire Paul Maclean.

That, and Dorion coming out only a few days before the firing saying that he has made Boucher's job difficult and will support him to the end of the season. It seems strange for Dorion to set himself up to look that foolish. It also makes no sense for Dorion to give Boucher a public vote of confidence like that if there were enough problems behind the scenes that might lead to Boucher's dismissal.

Either Melnyk told Dorion to fire Boucher, or Melnyk told Dorion that if the Avalanche get a top pick in the draft, Dorion's fired. Something had to change to motivate Dorion to fire Boucher.

Maybe Melnyk or Ruzskowksi hatched the idea to fire Boucher in order to distract from the Lebreton story?

What's the alternative? Did the leadership group of players go to Dorion and say they needed a chance in coaching? They did not sound upset in the least bit about the change (The ones who spoke, Anderson and Borowiecki). If this is the case, it's still a black eye on management as it shows they were out of touch enough to endorse Boucher when it was bad enough for the players to want him gone.

Not sure what happened, but something had to change this week. My bet would be on it being Melnyk related, but we'll never know....

Reactions: solidprospect

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Taught him that by scratching him? All Martin did in regards to spezza was burn two years of him. That sens team had an offensive superstar right there and chose not to use him

Edit: in no way am I saying Logan brown is Jason spezza. Not even close

The guy made the worst plays and the other teams ate him alive. He wanted Spezza playing to win, not blind pass throw it away and go for a change.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm about 90% certain Melnyk watched a game for the first time in a few weeks and decided to call up Pierre.

"Pierre. Pierre, we've got to talk. We've got to talk about Guy. I mean I keep hearing all this stuff about our rookies scoring in Belleville, so why can't they do it here? I don't what what Guy's doing out there. I look at the bench, and Guy's not even upset. Well I'm upset. We need a guy who cares enough to get upset. That's what winning games is about. He's got to get the players fired up, and it's not happening. So I think you gotta fire him. Tomorrow.

Get it done, Pierre."

10% could be a LeBreton distraction.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Even when he lambasted the fans during the 2017 playoff run? Gee, didn’t seem like it back then?

Everybody loves listening to corporate shitheads when they go on rants you agree with.

Just more "Toronto yearns to be American" material.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think we all knew coming into this season that it was Bouchers last year with us. It did not factor into any of our UFAs wanting out. Ottawa has been a coaching carousel for over a decade...it's not that hard for a player to ignore whoever is behind the bench and 'wait him out.' And that's the real problem with the bench right now. Our next coach will have to be someone who has a real shot at longevity. Give whoever gets the job a 5-year contract. (And let's hope the hire is a good one.)

As for Boucher, I think he can still flourish in the NHL as an assistant. He has some good ideas and communicates well. It's just his 1-3-1 system that doesn't work long term in the league.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

My problem with Andy’s comments is for the last 10 years we heard from management that they don’t want a punter club atmosphere with the players running the show (every coach Murray fires) and want the team to skate more.

Now Anderson is saying the coach wasn’t nice to them. We are the worst team in the NHL 2 years in a row, you should get yelled at.

And what does Dorion say he wants in a new coach - more skating in practice and more communication.

It’s a hamster wheel of incompetence. Next year the coach will get fired for starting. Rookie goalie in a game Melnyck watched

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Ive been away for a few days. What did they say?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

They essentially said that Boucher had lost the room. Not in those words of course but "things had gotten monotonous" and "no creativity" and "getting yelled is something this team might need".

They didn't crap over him but they didn't play the usual "this is on us" card players tend to play when a coach gets fired.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Two Ottawa players spoke to reporters, veteran goaltender Craig Anderson and hard-nosed defenceman Mark Borowiecki. Both expressed surprise at the timing of the move, if not the move itself.

“This is a results-driven business and we haven’t been getting results for a long time,” Borowiecki said.

“Players felt the brunt of that. We lost some guys in here that were important . . . and we lose a coach as well. I think that shows there’s blame to go around.”

Anderson was more blunt, saying the team was stuck in a “rut” and failed to adapt.

“We didn’t show the ability to change it or try something new,” Anderson said. “We also lost some key individuals who held us together. They weren’t here this year or last.”

Anderson feels the coaching staff wasn’t able to work with young players to smooth over errors.

“We were kind of status quo all year, we didn’t really improve,” Anderson said. “And that is one of the things that was frustrating, from a goalie standpoint — we make the same mistakes over and over and there’s no improvement.”

“Over time, the system gets exposed and then you have to adapt your system . . . as the years went on, we kind of got stuck in that rut and didn’t try to adapt,” Anderson said.

“We weren’t growing as a group, and we weren’t growing as individuals. This might be the change that is needed for our young guys to step up and start playing well, play the way that got them here.”

Rebuilding Senators' needs conflicted with Guy Boucher's style - Sportsnet.ca

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Two Ottawa players spoke to reporters, veteran goaltender Craig Anderson and hard-nosed defenceman Mark Borowiecki. Both expressed surprise at the timing of the move, if not the move itself.

“This is a results-driven business and we haven’t been getting results for a long time,” Borowiecki said.

“Players felt the brunt of that. We lost some guys in here that were important . . . and we lose a coach as well. I think that shows there’s blame to go around.”

Anderson was more blunt, saying the team was stuck in a “rut” and failed to adapt.

“We didn’t show the ability to change it or try something new,” Anderson said. “We also lost some key individuals who held us together. They weren’t here this year or last.”

Anderson feels the coaching staff wasn’t able to work with young players to smooth over errors.

“We were kind of status quo all year, we didn’t really improve,” Anderson said. “And that is one of the things that was frustrating, from a goalie standpoint — we make the same mistakes over and over and there’s no improvement.”

“Over time, the system gets exposed and then you have to adapt your system . . . as the years went on, we kind of got stuck in that rut and didn’t try to adapt,” Anderson said.

“We weren’t growing as a group, and we weren’t growing as individuals. This might be the change that is needed for our young guys to step up and start playing well, play the way that got them here.”

Rebuilding Senators' needs conflicted with Guy Boucher's style - Sportsnet.ca

Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad