Confirmed with Link: Boucher fired

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Ya well if you think loosing all your depth and 22 year old players is fun, I’m not talking about ten million dollar players I’m talking about 3 million dollar players being driven up to 4.5 destroying teams chances at cups
Players have to sign the offer sheet. Not sure there will be many RFAs keen to be signing with us when they don't have to

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Boucher should have been fired after last season imo. With 18 games left this is a Dorion/Melnyk panic move to pray for a new coach bounce to get the team out of 31st with no 1st rounder and no Duchene to show for it

Reactions: coladin

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Players have to sign the offer sheet. Not sure there will be many RFAs keen to be signing with us when they don't have to

Sure only the sens players want money, you don’t think old EM would pony up out of spite then go on the offense? In a cap world little bits here and there are extremely important

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya well if you think loosing all your depth and 22 year old players is fun, I’m not talking about ten million dollar players I’m talking about 3 million dollar players being driven up to 4.5 destroying teams chances at cups
I don't think that's concerning to other teams or a realistic concern. If anything they'll just one up you again on your next star player and leave you with a bunch of overpaid tweeners.

They're a team out to spend as little as possible as the highest priority above and beyond any hockey decision, so I have a hard time seeing them throwing around much if any money above the cap floor.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
We joke about offer sheets, but this is 100% the perfect scenario for other teams. A team with almost no financial clout and flexibility is prime to be preyed on.

They can structure them in a way that it won't even be a choice, it'll just be a hard no from Melnyk before it even gets in the door.

I don't joke about it.

We're at a serious threat of an offer sheet. Someone could try to get Colin White from us this summer for a 2nd round pick by front loading a 5 year 4.XXM offer sheet with signing bonuses. Is Melnyk giving Colin White 10 million dollars over 12 months, including 5M+ of that in a lockout year?

Same deal with Chabot, 1st/2nd/3rd, 20M in 12 months.

There hasn't been a team this vulnerable in a long time, and it comes when there's lots of talk that GMs are looking to revisit offer sheets as a viable means of player acquisition.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Sure only the sens players want money, you don’t think old EM would pony up out of spite then go on the offense? In a cap world little bits here and there are extremely important
Hahahahahahahah Broke Melnyk will pony up??? Hahahahahahah

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't joke about it.

We're at a serious threat of an offer sheet. Someone could try to get Colin White from us this summer for a 2nd round pick by front loading a 5 year 4.XXM offer sheet with signing bonuses. Is Melnyk giving Colin White 10 million dollars over 12 months, including 5M+ of that in a lockout year?

There hasn't been a team this vulnerable in a long time, and it comes when there's lots of talk that GMs are looking to revisit offer sheets as a viable means of player acquisition.
Exactly. Very real scenario for this team. Offer sheets are structured to price the other team out of it one way or another whether it's the aav, bonus structure, term and/or expected compensation. A team in significant financial difficulty seems like the prime candidate there and when faced with compensation like that for Chabot, I could see them convincing themselves pretty quickly it's the better move to take it and let him go.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
The last thing any team wants is to start a offer sheet war with a team with this much cap space.
Plus they seem to have a silent agreement on not driving up the RFA prices

The Senators aren't in a position to offer sheet anybody, that's ludicrous.

So we're going to give up multiple (highly probable) top 5 draft picks? We are going to pay young top RFAs bonus money?

Look at Colin White this summer. He checks all the boxes for an offer sheet threat...

1) Is he worth more than the compensation?
(If it is a 2nd round pick, yes)

2) Would he sign an offer sheet?
(A front loaded pure signing bonus 4-5 year contract at 4.XXM would be a competitive offer for him since it buys up so few UFA years and gives him buyout/lockout proof cash)

3) Would the Senators want to or be able to match?
(Cap space doesn't mean anything if a team cannot spend. Is Melnyk going to pay Colin White 10 million over a 12 month period via two lump sum 5M signing bonus payments?)

You can do the same exercise with Chabot, and it's even worse because he'd be more than worth giving up a 1st/2nd/3rd, and a contract in that compensation range (around 5 years 8.XXM) could easily be crafted that he'd sign, and that the Senators would have trouble matching due to a front loaded bonus structure.

It's a legitimate concern.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
I think he would want to but dont think that he would actually follow through for cash reasons. Moreover if the GM has any stones he would be telling him it doesnt make sense for a budget team to be overpaying average/mediocre players

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I don't joke about it.

I’m pretty sure 90% of the other teams can’t afford these contracts, and most of the teams with money are at the cap already and have their own players to worry about, and why would other teams drive up the price of RFA players? They are already upset with what Toronto gave their own players, never mind doing it to each other.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
oh boy , when you bring Harold Ballard into a conversation , The old hockey fans like myself knows that you're in deep ****:facepalm:
Yup. A few of them have thrown out the name as a comparable now.

I hope we get some kind of candid book years from now documenting the craziness of the Senators under Melnyk's tenure. I would bet there are some pretty good stories to tell.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The Senators aren't in a position to offer sheet anybody, that's ludicrous.

So we're going to give up multiple (highly probable) top 5 draft picks? We are going to pay young top RFAs bonus money?

Look at Colin White this summer. He checks all the boxes for an offer sheet threat...

1) Is he worth more than the compensation?
(If it is a 2nd round pick, yes)

2) Would he sign an offer sheet?
(A front loaded pure signing bonus 4-5 year contract at 4.XXM would be a competitive offer for him since it buys up so few UFA years and gives him buyout/lockout proof cash)

3) Would the Senators want to or be able to match?
(Cap space doesn't mean anything if a team cannot spend. Is Melnyk going to pay Colin White 10 million over a 12 month period via two lump sum 5M signing bonus payments?)

You can do the same exercise with Chabot, and it's even worse because he'd be more than worth giving up a 1st/2nd/3rd, and a contract in that compensation range (around 5 years 8.XXM) could easily be crafted that he'd sign, and that the Senators would have trouble matching due to a front loaded bonus structure.

It's a legitimate concern.

We just offered 10.5 to stone we are under the cap floor and have a bunch of IR contracts, we are 100% one of the last teams you would want to get into an offer sheet war.
It’s zero concern

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

We're talking about Chabot here, not the 3 million dollar players.

Chabot and Tkachuk would be the prime targets. Not the Cecis and Pageaus.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We just offered 10.5 to stone we are under the cap floor and have a bunch of IR contracts, we are 100% one of the last teams you would want to get into an offer sheet war.
It’s zero concern
We are a team that has put finances above all else for years, and over the last two years, it's looked like about the only priority they have. Melnyk is following through on his outdoor game tantrum and his fire side boro chats threats to slash everything and run the team as cheaply as possible. Damn rights it's a concern.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I think there was a disconnect there. He's not talking about our tweeners getting offer sheets. He's putting forward a theory that teams will be scared to offer sheet our stars because then we'll do the same with their tweener 3 mil type players, over pay them and destroy their cup chances.:rolleyes:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I’m pretty sure 90% of the other teams can’t afford these contracts, and most of the teams with money are at the cap already and have their own players to worry about, and why would other teams drive up the price of RFA players? They are already upset with what Toronto gave their own players, never mind doing it to each other.

Marner, Laine, Aho, Chabot, etc, are getting paid out of their ELCs regardless. Chabot's going to be asking for 7+ from Ottawa.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I think there was a disconnect there. He's not talking about our tweeners getting offer sheets. He's putting forward a theory that teams will be scared to offer sheet our stars because then we'll do the same with their tweener 3 mil type players, over pay them and destroy their cup chances.:rolleyes:

Yes, I misconstrued what he was talking about.

I'm pretty sure almost every player in the league would sacrifice salary not to play for Ottawa at this point.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

You guys will argue anything. We would match end of story. Other GM’s don’t ever do it,they don’t want the prices of RFA’s going up and they don’t want there 22 year old players being targeted, not Ceci their players
Did you see how many nice young RFA’s had issues getting paid this summer? Back away from the edge and calm yourself

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
It’s zero concern

What is zero concern?

There were rampant stories that structure was an issue with the Stone contract. If we couldn't shell out signing bonuses for Stone, how is it plausible we could shell them out to defend offer sheets against White or Chabot?

How is it plausible we could start an offer sheet war? A team would be GLAD if we sent their player an offer sheet. Amazing, they get cap space, and they get a few first round picks that are going to be in the top 5 of the draft. You think it's plausible we are going to give up 1, 2, or 4 first round picks in a rebuild?

Let's also not ignore how implausible it is that a player would sign an offer sheet here. It would have to be way above market value to compensate for the fact that he is signing with a team that has finished at the bottom of the league two years in a row and is a constant source of league wide drama.

What you're saying makes no sense and isn't backed up by anything that has happened here in the last year and a half. We're both arguing from a circumstantial point of view, but at least there's significant evidence based on using our team's past behavior as a predictor of future behavior to support the ideas I am putting forward.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You guys will argue anything. We would match end of story. Other GM’s don’t ever do it,they don’t want the prices of RFA’s going up and they don’t want there 22 year old players being targeted, not Ceci their players
Did you see how many nice young RFA’s had issues getting paid this summer? Back away from the edge and calm yourself
I think you mean you will argue everything. You're the contrarian opinion on just about everything Senators here at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad