Player Discussion Bottom Six. Who do you Keep?

Who do you want to bring back for next year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
So in the early season it seemed like the consensus was flush 85-90% of our bottom six, now that we have more games and a clearer picture of what they can contribute wondering where people stand. I included any forward who played a minimum of 10 games this season. Also in your selections feel free to click on someone you'd be interested in bringing back as a 13th/14th forward.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Haas, Nygard, Russell, Sheahan, Archibald, Khaira - I think they've played well enough in the bottom 6 for this team despite the somewhat rough start in October. Add a 3C and possibly a 3rd line winger to that group and I think it can be a very strong bottom 6. To be honest though this depends a lot on what their demands are, five of will need new contracts but if we're taking minor raises for all of them I am good.

Rusoilers

Дмитрий Самуроков 38
Oct 9, 2019
Siberia
Unpopular opinion- re sign jurco for cheap one year and give him another chance. I dont know how people can justify keeping Khaira and he is easily replaceable. Granlund and Gagner are useless dont need them. I would be ok to re sign everybody else, Patrick Russell is replaceable too but he will be cheap.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Last week we had a thread(maybe it was in a post game thread) that a bunch of posters were of the opinion that we should sign all of them(see post above this one). I guess your goalie playing well again & winning a few games makes people forget our bottom six is nothing to write home about & was actually horrible for the first 6-8 weeks of the season.

Great idea. Let's go into next season with basically the same team, that we all knew had a depth problem, next year.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Last week we had a thread(maybe it was in a post game thread) that a bunch of posters were of the opinion that we should sign all of them(see post above this one). I guess your goalie playing well again & winning a few games makes people forget our bottom six is nothing to write home about & was actually horrible for the first 6-8 weeks of the season.

Great idea. Let's go into next season with basically the same team, that we all knew had a depth problem, next year.

Doesn't mean you can't sign players to play above them.

Do you think you improve depth by just flushing all your depth players and trying a new set the next year?

Reactions: GOilers88 and LaGu

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Doesn't mean you can't sign players to play above them.

Do you think you improve depth by just flushing all your depth players and trying a new set the next year?

No, but you have to make some changes. You can't just sign them all then sign better players to play above them. That's not even remotely feasible.

Rosters are only so big & you can only have 50 contracts total on the books.

Reactions: McCanovin

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
No, but you have to make some changes. You can't just sign them all then sign better players to play above them. That's not even remotely feasible.

Rosters are only so big & you can only have 50 contracts total on the books.

The poll seems pretty clear in wanting four players back. That could realistically be the fourth line and a 13th forward.

There's plenty of room to improve above them and these are guys that will likely be making close to league minimum, so there really isn't anything stopping you from re-signing them and then signing other players.

Reactions: McCanovin

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
The poll seems pretty clear in wanting four players back. That could realistically be the fourth line and a 13th forward.

There's plenty of room to improve above them and these are guys that will likely be making close to league minimum, so there really isn't anything stopping you from re-signing them and then signing other players.

Cool, sign them all then.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
My top two would be Sheahan and Archibald. They are both huge contributors on the PK and have even started to chip in some offense. They are perfect 4th liners.

Next would be Chiasson - he gets a lot of hate around here, but the guy is 6th in forward scoring and is on pace for a 30 point season. He can also do spot duty on the top PP and in the top 6.

Other than that, I wouldn't be sad to see anyone else go. Not sure what all the votes for Haas and Nygard are about. Neither of these guys put up many points, don't contribute on the PK or PP, and haven't exactly been trending up. I suppose Haas is a C so he is a bit more valuable, but he's not even very good at that (41.2% on faceoffs). Unless we start seeing some improvement then I don't really see a place for these guys.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Keep for sure IMO - Haas, Sheahan and Archie
Indifferent - Nygard
Keep only because serviceable and has term left - Chiasson

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

3C + 3W + 4 out Haas, Nygard, Sheahan, Archibald and Russell is a damn good bottom 6. Especially if you manage to resign them at more or less the same prices. Russell, Khaira are good enough to be 13/14th fwds.

We're so used to complain about the bottom 6 that we cannot acknowledge when they are actually lifting their weight.

I am 100% against another complets over-haul of the bottom 6. That will put you back in the position taking chances on low-cap depth players as Holland did this year. It was about seeing which low-buy players could cut it, and imo we found a few good ones (mid-season opinion mind you, these guys will not be signed before next summer). Khaira is probably the one I am least convinced about, but he is already signed and I doubt we'll get anything for him in a trade. Might as well keep him as 13/14th fwd and hope he figures it out.

Last edited:

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
It's a little unreasonable to expect instantaneous success playing for a new team. It takes time to develop chemistry. Nygard and Haas had never played in North America before and were sought after in the offseason. Why would we get rid of them now?

Nygard, Haas, Archibald, Sheahan have started to show they deserve at least another year. These are the types of players good teams build their bottom six around. Plus they are all either 27 or 28(Sheahan). I would sign any of these guys for multiple years at a low enough price.

Chiasson is signed for next year. Don't know why he is listed.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Move Khaira. Haas is now playing the PK taking Khaira's spot there. Dont bother resigning Granlund, Jurco, or Gagner. Mind you, Gagner might be ok at a league minimum as a 13/14 forward. Russell I keep as a 13/14 black ace for sure. You want a guy who is consistent and he is a good checker.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Keep Archibald, Sheahan, Haas, Nygard.

Yeet everyone else into the sun, particularly Gagner. It’s a feel good story that he’s back here, but dude is miles removed from being an NHL calibre player.

Reactions: WIOiler and scott57

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Nygard, Archiblad, Sheahan, Chiasson.

I'm not nearly as much a fan of Haas as everyone else here. He tries hard but doesn't have many tools or much hockey sense.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

Alternative hot take: we signed a bunch of guys that took 6-8 weeks to adjust to the new teammates, coaches, city, country and continent.

Get a good 3C and the bottom 6 is in decent shape next year.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
056711A9-C5A4-4E98-9EFD-2114E14DC5C7.gif

As long as Khaira is gone, I’m good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad