Speculation: Botchford: 4 teams interested in Brandon Sutter

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Horvat isn’t ready to play the shutdown role he was projected to?

He is our number one centre, and right now the only player we have to play with Boeser. Putting them out to kill penalties, take D zone draws, etc., means neither him or Brock are set up to produce. Sending Horvat out with other line mates to fill that role (which he might be able to do successfully as a two way guy), and who does Brock play with?

So no, Horvat can't be that guy. And this is what makes Sutter valuable in this team. He can eat up the tough minutes and free up Bo and Brock to do their thing.

In a couple of years, if EP developes into a top line offensive centre, then either Horvat takes the hard minutes with other line mates or Gaudette can grow into the Sutter minutes (or we find someone else to take those minutes- ei, a veteran Sutter on a cheaper contract).

Reactions: Canucks1096

member 105785

Horvat isn’t ready to play the shutdown role he was projected to?

Horvat is a much better player in the offensive zone, he's not bad at defense but he's never really been the next defensive monster that people thought he would be for some reason

Reactions: SniperHF

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
I always thought Sutter could played Left Wing and be a 25 goal scorer on his off wing on Malkin Line in Pittsburgh and take the defensive role including face offs.

Or he would be Jan Hrdina role for Jagr type for skilled winger like Patrick Kane.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I was just discussing him with my dad. We were taking about how the Vancouver Province thinks adding Ryan O'Reilly would be a bad idea and I disagreed saying he'd be a perfectly fine #1/2 C until one of the Canucks prospects can fill the role and then ROR could transition to a 3C role provided you could find w taker for Sutter.

For some reason, the three teams that come to mind as being interested in Sutter are Arizona (A vet to balance out all the youth at C), Boston (Might be a possible replacement for Riley Nash?) or Montreal (Lack of C depth and an emphasis on "character"-type guys). I wouldn't be shocked - though as an Oiler fan I wouldn't be excited by it - if Edmonton didn't inquire as well; if you believe Oilers are going to cut bait on Strome you'd have a pretty gaping hole at C after McDavid and Draisaitl. And I think the Oilers already employ (or employed...) a Sutter in their front office.
I think I read somewhere about a month ago that Anaheim was interested in Sutter, might have something to so with Kesler’s injury problems.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think I'd do that. If I were comfortable that he's healthy.
I would not offer up a whole lot though.

Well no and I don't think you would have to, don't think his value is overly high.

That said I'd be good with

Matthews
Kadri
Sutter

Down the middle

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I will guess 2 of the 4 are the Ducks and Toronto.

The Ducks because Kesler may never play again

Toronto because they do need a real 3rd line center

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd rather it be:

Matthews.
Tavares.
Kadri.
Sutter.

Or

Matthews.
Kadri.
Nylander.
Sutter.

I have no interest in Nylander as a center I think breaking up a combo that we KNOW works is incredibly stupid and I don't understand why fans want that especially since we saw it and with the exception of the 1st game it failed he was on the wing again by the start of game 3.

Nylander as a center does not work

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I have no interest in Nylander as a center I think breaking up a combo that we KNOW works is incredibly stupid and I don't understand why fans want that especially since we saw it and with the exception of the 1st game it failed he was on the wing again by the start of game 3.

Nylander as a center does not work
I'd prefer to leave him on Matty's wing. But that may not be what's best in the grand scheme of things.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd prefer to leave him on Matty's wing. But that may not be what's best in the grand scheme of things.

I don't see how that's not what's best especially since he has proven chemistry with Matty and being a winger saves us money generally centers make more than wingers

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I don't see how that's not what's best especially since he has proven chemistry with Matty and being a winger saves us money generally centers make more than wingers
His contract will be signed this summer. Before he moves to the middle. If it comes to that. So that's not an argument at all.
We may have to fill that 3C slot internally. If we do, it would be easier to fill the RW1 spot with a Marlie than the 3C spot. Or rejig who plays with who. We have no Marlie who can fill the 3C spot. Willy can.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
His contract will be signed this summer. Before he moves to the middle. If it comes to that. So that's not an argument at all.
We may have to fill that 3C slot internally. If we do, it would be easier to fill the RW1 spot with a Marlie than the 3C spot. Or rejig who plays with who. We have no Marlie who can fill the 3C spot. Willy can.

I am well aware that ther is nothing on the farm, there is a reason I want them to draft a center if they keep the pick, there is also a reason I have been pushing for Artem Amisimov if they go the trade route

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I am well aware that ther is nothing on the farm, there is a reason I want them to draft a center if they keep the pick, there is also a reason I have been pushing for Artem Amisimov if they go the trade route
I'd be interested in him at the right price.

Again, Willy to C is not my Plan A. I doubt it's even Plan B. But at the end of the day, it may be the best plan. You can disagree if you like. But this is how I see it.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sutter is really overpaid and really isn't that good of a player. His defensive game is strong and he can score a good amount of goals as a center, but he has a super serious case of tunnel vision and is as soft as butter. He's not a good enough playmaker to play center and he's too soft to play the wing, at least effectively. Good teams have a center like Sutter on their 4th line, but he's paid like a 2C. The eye test with him is supported by his HERO chart, decent at scoring goals and shot suppression, absolutely horrid at getting assists and shot generation.

That was the magic of Sutter though. Soft play, soft play, soft play, anger rises, anger rises, anger rises, soft play, soft play, anger about to boil over...then he skates down 1 on 1 against a defender and fires one high side...and all you can do is look awkwardly at the tv thinking "WTF?"

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Contract is good. Has a ntc so he will need to waive.

Solid defence, good face faceoffs.
Not physical at all. Doesn’t score, injury prone.

If the Canucks could dump him for someone younger or a 2nd or 3rd rounder I would be happy.

Canucks would have to retain something l.

The contract is GOOD?!

WTF!?

Paying a Jobber main event money isn't good

manroth19

May 20, 2015
The Sutter hate is hilarious. He always gets the hard minutes usually starting in his own zone. I’d love to see how he would play if he actually played with some good defensive players not these tweeners and scrubs.

How is soft? Besides the fact he doesn’t hit? Most centres don’t finish their checks.

Yeah he’s got a garbage contract sure but people talk like it’s a lucic erikkson bad type of contract

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Sutter hate is hilarious. He always gets the hard minutes usually starting in his own zone. I’d love to see how he would play if he actually played with some good defensive players not these tweeners and scrubs.

How is soft? Besides the fact he doesn’t hit? Most centres don’t finish their checks.

Yeah he’s got a garbage contract sure but people talk like it’s a lucic erikkson bad type of contract
I agree. Hate for him is way over the top. Like people don’t consider th impact on the team, especially on Bo and gaudette without sutter to take th defensive duties.

Gaunce isn’t ready for that role.

Green trusts Bo after sutter for dzone draws. So, killing your hanc smog offense if you can’t replace sutter. Cap space not an issue right now so ride it out until more young centres establish themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad