Speculation: Botchford: 4 teams interested in Brandon Sutter

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'd love it if we could trade him but I doubt Benning wants to give him up. I think he wayyy overvalues Sutter.

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Sutter is a good NHLer. He played on an awful team, played shut down minutes against the teams top opposition every night. Even in that situation he still led the Canucks in +/-.

No he's not gonna carry possesion and he won't be a playmaker but he'll do a lot of intangible things. Win faceoffs, penalty kill, shadow an opposing top play. Maybe even score on transition plays. He's a good player he just cant live up to the stigma of "foundational player"

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Sutter is a good asset. He’s only available if the Canucks are bringing in another veteran C. It was reported that they had interest in Bozak weeks ago.... which is redundant with Sutter in the fold.

Sutter is a coaches player. Trusted in all situations. Solid matchup 3C for any team. But the Canucks need a C with more offensive ability.

Also noted by Bob Mackenzie that they’re probably kicking the tires on ROR, so they’re definitely looking for a more offensive experienced C, likely to play with Pettersson.

Reactions: Alchemy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sutter is a good NHLer. He played on an awful team, played shut down minutes against the teams top opposition every night. Even in that situation he still led the Canucks in +/-.

No he's not gonna carry possesion and he won't be a playmaker but he'll do a lot of intangible things. Win faceoffs, penalty kill, shadow an opposing top play. Maybe even score on transition plays. He's a good player he just cant live up to the stigma of "foundational player"
The Canucks need C who can play the checking role. Need to see gaunce take another step before you can move sutter and bump gaunce into that role.

Sutter isn’t ever going to be what benning claimed or worth his cap hit. But if the Canucks move him does that help the other young C on the roster develop? Cause green trusts Bo next in terms of defensive play and we don’t want bo’s offensive zone starts scars back cause he has to handle defensive duties.

Reactions: Verbalyst

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sutter is really overpaid and really isn't that good of a player. His defensive game is strong and he can score a good amount of goals as a center, but he has a super serious case of tunnel vision and is as soft as butter. He's not a good enough playmaker to play center and he's too soft to play the wing, at least effectively. Good teams have a center like Sutter on their 4th line, but he's paid like a 2C. The eye test with him is supported by his HERO chart, decent at scoring goals and shot suppression, absolutely horrid at getting assists and shot generation.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'll take him on the Yotes for one of our three 3rds this year. Maybe a small plus added on.

That's probably reasonable value, assuming its Arizona's third, but I'd rather keep him. He did a fine job, and as much as I hate that contract, we're not hurting for cap space. I said fine, not great or even good though.

Reactions: THE Green Man

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
That's probably reasonable value, assuming its Arizona's third, but I'd rather keep him. He did a fine job, and as much as I hate that contract, we're not hurting for cap space. I said fine, not great or even good though.

Coburn, without Sutter, who takes the hard minutes in this team? Trading him without a replacement for those minutes and that role would hurt the development and production of many of the Canucks young players (Horvat, Gaudette, eventually EP, among others. No chance I would move him for picks like this or even better without an alternative in place.

And I am not a Sutter fan at all.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
3 of the teams have been told by Botchford himself on Vancouver radio. He confirmed all 4 teams were from the Pacific 3 being Anaheim, LA, and San Jose.

If true they must of felt they could use more depth when going up against Vegas.

About the Sharks...

If history tells me anything it'll be a recent 1st round pick for a meh 3rd liner who fails in SJ.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Coburn, without Sutter, who takes the hard minutes in this team? Trading him without a replacement for those minutes and that role would hurt the development and production of many of the Canucks young players (Horvat, Gaudette, eventually EP, among others. No chance I would move him for picks like this or even better without an alternative in place.

I stand by my comment. Value for Sutter and his contract would be an early third or so. He performed the task he was asked to do, and his contract is inflated. You've got a great point though, without Sutter that leaves Horvat as our only proven shutdown forward, and really, we need him with Boeser.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He’s pretty pathetic offensively but he’s either a lousy 3C or a fantastic fourth line center.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Horvat isn’t ready to play the shutdown role he was projected to?

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
I stand by my comment. Value for Sutter and his contract would be an early third or so. He performed the task he was asked to do, and his contract is inflated. You've got a great point though, without Sutter that leaves Horvat as our only proven shutdown forward, and really, we need him with Boeser.

Fair enough, we can agree on some and disagree a bit here. I wouldn't trade him for all 3 of their 3rd round picks (without a replacement in hand)- Never mind for one, regardless of how early. It just doesn't help us right now or in the future, in my view.

Reactions: Cogburn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad