Boston or Toronto: Who are you rooting for/against?

Boston or Toronto: Who are you rooting for?

• Total voters

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
^ This response is a prime example of Leafs fans' "poor us/pity us" attitude. I'm of the opinion that many members of the media are negative because they are fans of the Leafs and desperately want them to succeed and grow frustrated when there are difficulties just like any other fan.

Fans of other teams like Montreal, Ottawa or even Winnipeg wonder why only one Eastern team gets a national broadcast as if it were the only team in existence in Eastern Canada. Obviously the answer is market size, but it's still ridiculous that only one team gets national exposure throughout the entire season (all or nothing broadcast situation). In the West, there's a variety of teams on HNIC. EDM, CAL and VAN all have games throughout the season.
I never asked for pitty. But thanks for putting words in my mouth.

One thing that people don't get it hate watching. It's a real thing and drives ratings The most popular teams across any sport are the ones who no one is indifferent towards. They are either loved or hated. Either way, people tune in.

People also don't get that, for the most part, all fan bases are the same. Regardless of allegience or sport. It's just that, in this case, our fan base is so much larger and the loudest people are usually the least informed so it seems like we're different.
But I can take you to Thanksgiving with my inlawas and you'd swear it was a bunch of Leafs fans, not Alabama Crimson Tide fans.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Rooting is a big word. I have 0 emotional investment in either team, but since I picked Boston in my pool at work, I guess I'm cheering for them?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So much of the media coverage of the Leafs is negative. Fans don't see that. They just see the Leafs being talked about.

Every Saturday night (pretty well anyway) and sometimes during the week we get a national broadcast. Every other team get (except Vancouver) basically it's home broadcase. What do we get, Vancouver's openly Leafs hating PxP guy.
And a guy who once told the Leafs not to draft him.

The TO media loves to roast us.

You have to keep in mind, so many of them come from elsewhere.

Last night the game was atrociously officiated. No hue and cry from our media though. Just pile on Kadri.
Not defending Kadri btw. His actions last night are indefensible. But so was the officiating.
Thanks. The perspective is appreciated.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
^ This response is a prime example of Leafs fans' "poor us/pity us" attitude. I'm of the opinion that many members of the media are negative because they are fans of the Leafs and desperately want them to succeed and grow frustrated when there are difficulties just like any other fan.

Fans of other teams like Montreal, Ottawa or even Winnipeg wonder why only one Eastern team gets a national broadcast as if it were the only team in existence in Eastern Canada. Obviously the answer is market size, but it's still ridiculous that only one team gets national exposure throughout the entire season (all or nothing broadcast situation). In the West, there's a variety of teams on HNIC. EDM, CAL and VAN all have games throughout the season.

As for playoff officiating, yes, it can be really bad at times. Welcome to the playoffs. When the calls go against the Habs, you don't see many Leafs fans sympathizing so you can't expect others to have sympathy for them.
In fairness, I asked him for his personal take and he gave it to me. Nothing wrong with what he said. Every fan is going to see the game from a slightly different skew.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
So much of the media coverage of the Leafs is negative. Fans don't see that. They just see the Leafs being talked about.

Every Saturday night (pretty well anyway) and sometimes during the week we get a national broadcast. Every other team get (except Vancouver) basically it's home broadcase. What do we get, Vancouver's openly Leafs hating PxP guy.
And a guy who once told the Leafs not to draft him.

The TO media loves to roast us.

You have to keep in mind, so many of them come from elsewhere.

Last night the game was atrociously officiated. No hue and cry from our media though. Just pile on Kadri.
Not defending Kadri btw. His actions last night are indefensible. But so was the officiating.
Im living in leafs nation and its true they've been getting roasted recently. That being said, at the start of the year, it was pretty annoying hearing about Mathews modelling career and pajama boy every day. Like the leafs but the media is so annoying.

f*** Boston though...

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
In fairness, I asked him for his personal take and he gave it to me. Nothing wrong with what he said. Every fan is going to see the game from a slightly different skew.
Thanks.

Something else that is lost on people is the size of the TO market. By far the largest in the country and only surpassed by New York and LA in North America. Depending on whether you include Mexico or not obviously.

Reactions: Lshap

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Thanks.

Something else that is lost on people is the size of the TO market. By far the largest in the country and only surpassed by New York and LA in North America. Depending on whether you include Mexico or not obviously.

The GTA metropolitan area had an estimated population of 6.3 million in 2017. Montreal area was second with 4.1 million, split, of course, between purely francophone and anglophone markets as well as the many bilingual people in the area.

Comparing now to the US in 2017, NY (20.6 million), LA (13.3 million), Chicago (9.5 million), Dallas (7.399 million) and Houston (6.9 million) are larger than the GTA area with Washington DC having (6.2 million). Table 6 (Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington Has Largest Growth in the U.S.).

I think what is lost on some in the GTA is how the TO market is small compared to NY, LA and Chicago, and is moreso comparable to the Washington DC area if they want to bring up a comparable.

Last edited:
Reactions: nords1995

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
The poll is an insult to any self-respecting Habs fan. Root for the ******* Bruins or Laffs? Sorry, not possible.
I understand what your said. Would have slot of the same problem you have cheering for Mtl vs Tor......well after a couple of minutes of reflexion i would cheer for the Habs... these Laffs fan base are unbearable!,,

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For me it's the fact that I live in and around Leafs nation. Everything here is Toronto based. I could not handle it if they won. A friend of mine asked if my feelings would be different if say I lived in Montreal. Or if the Leafs had recently won a Cup instead of the Bruins. I thought it was a very good question, I honestly don't know, but I doubt it would change things.

I don't think it would change much. They basically own the national sports stations, so it doesn't really matter where you are.

I live on the west coast, and I'm still acutely aware of their existence, and if I am risk of forgetting, the TV stations will remind me pretty quick.

The way they are shoved down the throats of the Canadian audience, they will always incite some sort of emotion, good or bad, from coast to coast. Of course, I find it nauseating as a habs fan, and the cheese factor on their Rogers and Scotia ads make me cringe.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I saw this for the first time the other day and I LOVED IT!

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the Maple Leafs right now. And it’s not that I dislike the Canadiens any less having seen this, but I have a greater appreciation for les habitants.

Not to mention, this should be required viewing for ANY Montreal Canadiens fan.

My good deed for today.

Reactions: BladeRunner66

A1

Everything is awful
Oct 15, 2005
Montreal, Qc
All these upsets have me worried that Boston is going to have an easy road to the cup. They must be eliminated before I can enjoy these playoffs.

Reactions: Forum93

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Thanks.

I’m not going to be as nice as the others. I hope you get stomped sooner rather then later. This is a Habs forum.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Why would you say "North America" and then not include Mexico?

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
slight edge for two reason towards Boston.

1) The thought of having to deal with all those annoying leafs fans is too much should they win lord stanley. Any other Canadian team is OK
2) Grew up near the town of Bobby Orr.... hard to ignore that.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I refuse to answer is it is a false choice. I am rooting for neither team.

I'm rooting against both. I might root against one more than another but I'm in no way rooting for one of these teams here... :laugh:

Tell me about it. I really don’t care who wins so long as Columbus curb stomps the winner. I know it sucks for our 2nd rounder from them, but I don’t want to see either Toronto or Boston in the ECF.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Tell me about it. I really don’t care who wins so long as Columbus curb stomps the winner. I know it sucks for our 2nd rounder from them, but I don’t want to see either Toronto or Boston in the ECF.

Which 2nd rounder is this?

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
All these upsets have me worried that Boston is going to have an easy road to the cup. They must be eliminated before I can enjoy these playoffs.

I'm worried about that also, one thing for sure if the Bruins make it to the Cup final game and end up winning it, I will have to change the channel before the game ends. No way I can watch that SH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad