Boston/Miller reached confidential agreement over NHLPA grieved termination after ELS deal terminated over past conviction

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I doubt that he'll ever get another NHL contract.

His conduct wasn't out of character. Rather, it is characteristic of who he is.

If he were able to change his character for the better, he might also be able to turn his career around. However, very few people are able to do such an enormous task. For the most part, we are who we are and change at best comes only gradually giver time.

I suspect he would see himself as a victim of an unfair system.

Reactions: Fatass and zeeto

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Answer me this, why is someone like Evander Kane, who is currently playing in the NHL, given multiple chances by multiple organisations, when his seemingly habitual bad behaviour dated back to when he was a teenager?

He was 14, in Junior High School. He paid for his bad deeds. It's time to give the young man a chance.
He'll get it, if a team deems it's worth it.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He already got his second chance and blew it.
How did he "blow it?" Has he committed any criminal acts since 2016?

It never seems to amaze me that in spite of laws in Canada and the USA that wipe away juvenile records, for the purpose of giving young adults a clean slate for their youthful indiscretions, a vocal minority want this kid banned for life, due to acts committed when he was in middle school.

I am just thankful the silent majority of people (and the law), are more forgiving.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
How did he "blow it?" Has he committed any criminal acts since 2016?

It never seems to amaze me that in spite of laws in Canada and the USA that wipe away juvenile records, for the purpose of giving young adults a clean slate for their youthful indiscretions, a vocal minority want this kid banned for life, due to acts committed when he was in middle school.

I am just thankful the silent majority of people (and the law), are more forgiving.
He had all the opportunity to properly address the issue when he was drafted and again when he was signed by the Bruins, yet failed to do so. Playing professionally in the NHL is a privilege, not a right, so no one can expect their past wrongdoings to be overlooked by default. Meanwhile he remains free to play amateur hockey as much as he wants.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He had all the opportunity to properly address the issue when he was drafted and again when he was signed by the Bruins, yet failed to do so.

That's not "blowing it" as you seem to think. In fact, that responsibility lies on the organisation signing him, to properly vet prospects for any character issues that they may have from the past.

The Bruins knew full well of his past, but released him due to the outrage on social media that it caused. We really have no idea if Miller is sincere or not, but at 21, would it really matter, considering he was a child at the time of the offences? This is professional hockey, not a teachers association.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He had all the opportunity to properly address the issue when he was drafted and again when he was signed by the Bruins, yet failed to do so. Playing professionally in the NHL is a privilege, not a right, so no one can expect their past wrongdoings to be overlooked by default. Meanwhile he remains free to play amateur hockey as much as he wants.
Hell, he could even sign another contract if an offer is forthcoming (though he's apparently ineligible to play even in the AHL as we speak, whatever that means). It just appears that people who have something at stake are preferring not to bother with him.

Reactions: Ciao

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's not "blowing it" as you seem to think. In fact, that responsibility lies on the organisation signing him, to properly vet prospects for any character issues that they may have from the past.

The Bruins knew full well of his past, but released him due to the outrage on social media that it caused. We really have no idea if Miller is sincere or not, but at 21, would it really matter, considering he was a child at the time of the offences? This is professional hockey, not a teachers association.
Absolutely the Bruins and the University of North Dakota blew it too, giving him a wad of cash and free tuition for nothing. Miller is just another sociopath so good for him I guess as undeserved as it is, but these professional organizations really should know better.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Absolutely the Bruins and the University of North Dakota blew it too, giving him a wad of cash and free tuition for nothing. Miller is just another sociopath so good for him I guess as undeserved as it is, but these professional organizations really should know better.
Do you have the ability to arbitrarily pick and choose who should play professional hockey, and who should not? I could name several cases of players running afoul of the law before they even played their first NHL game.

Labelling an individual a "sociopath" without proof, is just intellectually lazy. It seems to me the organisations in question were attempting to give the kid a second chance, only for the lynch mob to spoil any chance of redemption.

Your way of thinking has more in common with justice in Third World autocratic nations, than it does in Western society.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Do you have the ability to arbitrarily pick and choose who should play professional hockey, and who should not? I could name several cases of players running afoul of the law before they even played their first NHL game.

Labelling an individual a "sociopath" without proof, is just intellectually lazy. It seems to me the organisations in question were attempting to give the kid a second chance, only for the lynch mob to spoil any chance of redemption.

Your way of thinking has more in common with justice in Third World autocratic nations, than it does in Western society.
On the contrary Brendan Leipsic is getting his Russian passport soon. Maybe Miller can go to the KHL as well if he desires to have a pro hockey career.

I don't see why you would reasonably object to him being called a sociopath already considering what he was found guilty of in court. His other behavior including most recently only enforces that image. If Miller wants his Xth chance then that has to be earned, and he has done absolutely nothing to get there.

Shwan

Jan 30, 2019
Arizona
He had all the opportunity to properly address the issue when he was drafted
Like when he sat down with the Coyotes beat writer and got grilled about his conduct and produced evidence that he did apologize and he did serve his community service sentence but because it was literally just a substack because the Coyotes Beat writer was unemployed no one read it?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
His other behavior including most recently only enforces that image. If Miller wants his Xth chance then that has to be earned, and he has done absolutely nothing to get there.
You keep going on about his "other" horrible behaviour, and how many "chances" he has blown. Can you provide and example unrelated to the bullying incidents in question, that ended in February 2016, with a criminal conviction for Miller at age 14?

Last edited:
Reactions: randywoodsghost

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Like when he sat down with the Coyotes beat writer and got grilled about his conduct and produced evidence that he did apologize and he did serve his community service sentence but because it was literally just a substack because the Coyotes Beat writer was unemployed no one read it?
Both were court-mandated, so of course he had to do them. And that court-mandated non-apology showed no sign of remorse whatsoever which even the judge pointed out.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
If he could play like McDavid no one would care. Easy to virtue signal on a 4th rounder. It is what it is.
The kid he bullied and every other bullied person would care, and so would you if your child was the victim

I say let the Bruins skate him in practice and put Dave Forbes on the ice on the other side and let the chips fall where they may

Reactions: Fatass

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
How about donating that settlement the Bruins gave him half to the family in question for pain and suffering and half to NAPAB to further anti bullying.

There's a starting point for sincerity eh?

That is not realistic. This happened in 2016. The Bruins had nothing to do with his past. BTW, I know all about bullying. I was bullied pretty bad from elementary school until I was turning 16, when I started hitting the gym and lifting weights.

If one can't forgive in life, they won't get through life. That is what I believe. I forgave my tormentors, and would not have cut it in life, if I held a grudge for eternity.

The mother of the victim, in particular, doesn't exactly come across as a very "saintly" person here. I've read about the facts of the case thoroughly. Her son was bullied by Miller from elementary school until the 8th grade, where she found out and went to Police. He was charged, convicted, apologised in court, did 25 hours of community service.

Since there is no evidence that Miller has continued his antisocial behaviour, since he was 14, it should have ended there. So why is the mother going to the press and bringing up his past transgressions 4 1/2 years later, when he has already served his debt to society, and gets drafted?. Why does she continue to be vindictive about this after 7 1/2 years?

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Both were court-mandated, so of course he had to do them. And that court-mandated non-apology showed no sign of remorse whatsoever which even the judge pointed out.
He went out of his way to provide you with an article, several pages long, showing a copy of what Miller read in court as an apology to the victim and his family. Did you even bother to click on the link?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He went out of his way to provide you with an article, several pages long, showing a copy of what Miller read in court as an apology to the victim and his family. Did you even bother to click on the link?

Yes, in his "apology" Miller calls years of increasingly extreme bullying a prank between friends. The judge responded that Miller only feels sorry for himself and not his victim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad