Value of: Boston - Krecji / Backes / Krug

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Obviously Brock is a ridiculous ask, but I don't know about Krug for a pending UFA forward Krug outscored last year either.

Skinner has 61 goals over the past two seasons....you cant get a player like that for peanuts. And please dont compare Goals to assists as if they are equivalent in the "points" argument. They're not. Krug definitely a great player, and I am not saying their shouldn't be a slight add from the Canes side due to contract status, but considering positions of need, its a win for both teams in my opinion.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Skinner has 61 goals over the past two seasons....you cant get a player like that for peanuts. And please dont compare Goals to assists as if they are equivalent in the "points" argument. They're not. Krug definitely a great player, and I am not saying their shouldn't be a slight add from the Canes side due to contract status, but considering positions of need, its a win for both teams in my opinion.

Is that 37 goal year an outlier? So far, 1000%. And it sure does make your post sound more reasonable if it’s not an outlier.

I don’t think it’s a horrendous base at all, but Carolina certainly ads. What? I have no idea. Depends on Skinner’s price to reup and if Boston is on his list. And if Skinner is being difficult with what teams he will go to, that obviously puts other teams in a position to not offer something fair.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If the Bruins want to send something of value along with Backes to the Rangers, I might be interested. The Ranger management has been pretty vocal about needing leadership.

Yeah I wonder if they can find a non-Cap team in a similar position to take him without being paid to. His 3x3.6 now and 2x2.5 next year in real money should be attractive to teams that don’t care about his cap hit. Obviously if they find a deal today that requires clearing cap they can’t be picky, but right now they don’t have anything to spend the money on.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Is that 37 goal year an outlier? So far, 1000%. And it sure does make your post sound more reasonable if it’s not an outlier.

I don’t think it’s a horrendous base at all, but Carolina certainly ads. What? I have no idea. Depends on Skinner’s price to reup and if Boston is on his list. And if Skinner is being difficult with what teams he will go to, that obviously puts other teams in a position to not offer something fair.

Well, that is his high, but I also included one of his lower years (this year). He also has a 31, a 33 and 28 goal years.

Is 14 an outlier for Krug? He had 8 the year before and 4 the year before that....so this argument can go any direction with number manipulation, just like any argument usually. Better question is, how does each player fit their new team? Does Boston not have like 4-5 LHD now? Are they looking for top 6 scorers? The Canes need an offensive minded LHD IMO, and are at least at this point not likely to want to bring back Skinner after this contract.

Point being, I think Skinner would be dynamic for the Bruins, and I think Krug would be a great fit for the Canes. Seems like a win win

Reactions: Unsustainable

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well, that is his high, but I also included one of his lower years (this year). He also has a 31, a 33 and 28 goal years.

Is 14 an outlier for Krug? He had 8 the year before and 4 the year before that....so this argument can go any direction with number manipulation, just like any argument usually. Better question is, how does each player fit their new team? Does Boston not have like 4-5 LHD now? Are they looking for top 6 scorers? The Canes need an offensive minded LHD IMO, and are at least at this point not likely to want to bring back Skinner after this contract.

Point being, I think Skinner would be dynamic for the Bruins, and I think Krug would be a great fit for the Canes. Seems like a win win

Bruins also have Marchand, DeBrusk, Donato, Heinen, Bjork, Cehlarik as left shot wings already. Is Skinner good enough to push 47 point rookie out of the top 9? Is he 6+ million dollars better? Could Skinner work on his off wing with Bergeron and Marchand? Would Carolina take Backes at 3x3.6 in real money back in the deal so the Bruins could actually re-sign Skinner? It’s not a slam dunk like you are projecting. And if Skinner is being difficult on the trade front, no reason for Bruins to not try to put the screws on Carolina.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Considering the past Bruin trades of Seguin and Thornton for pretty much garbage, don't expect Sweeney to get 'bent over 'again
even though he's not to blame for the JT trade

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Considering the past Bruin trades of Seguin and Thornton for pretty much garbage, don't expect Sweeney to get 'bent over 'again
even though he's not to blame for the JT trade
Krejci, Backes, and Krug aren't on remotely the same level as Seguin and Thornton at the time of those deals.

I agree Sweeney shouldn't get bent over, but lets not compare apples to oranges here.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If the Bruins want to send something of value along with Backes to the Rangers, I might be interested. The Ranger management has been pretty vocal about needing leadership.

Backes is still a solid player. Other fans might disagree but I don't see him as a cap dump and have no problem him finishing his contract out in Boston. If traded - Bruins will be the vocal ones about needing leadership as once Chara retires you'd pretty much be down to Bergeron.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
You guys are talking about gutting the veteran core of a 112 point team.

I personally wouldn't move Krejci or Backes this summer unless there's some player or move out there that I'm missing. I'm not moving them for 'kids with upside' or picks or adding onto them. The Bruins need these two players for this upcoming season. With Tavares signing in T.O. if you move Krejci - you're downgrading, most likely significantly downgrading. And with the amount of kids on this roster (and with the chance they move McQuaid, this possibly being Chara's last year) you need a player like Backes on the team.

Krug - is a bit more difficult for me to judge. I really like his game and his offence would be incredibly difficult (impossible) to replace and he's such a big part of their power play. (I will always respect him for signing with the Bruins out of college when the Bruins were loaded and everyone league-wide was clamouring for Schultz whom took the easy route of being guaranteed a roster spot on The Oil) ---

With Krug - they would have to have faith in some combination of Moore, Gryz, Zboril, Vaak, going forward or would want to adjust their style from the back-end.

I think it would cost a Kadri level plus pick/top prospect type 3C that you could play on the 2nd line if needed or a top 6 winger like Skinner. Or you package him with one or two of their young players or prospects and picks and try to find that long term LHD that can comfortably play top pairing for the next five years. - But can't off the top of my head think of anyone at the level I'm thinking that might be remotely available.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Why does everyone feel that Krug has no value? I mean D in the NHL get contracts like their are Candy not to mention a PP quarterback who posts 40 to 60 pts every season. Just for frame of reference for the last 5 seasons he ranks 13th in overall points for D men in the NHL - all the players above him have cap hits much higher than the 5 Mill Krug makes.
upload_2018-7-3_11-55-30.png

I doubt he will get moved to the Leafs but if the Bruins think McAvoy can lead the PP unit and 1 of their prospects can step up next season - its not far fetched to believe he can land a Jeff Skinner or something very respectable.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
He's a left shot Kevin Shattenkirk. You'd imagine that Krug's trade value is going to be something similar. Probably more, since you'd get one extra year out of him on a reasonable contract.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
If it's going to be Jeff Skinner it's going to be David Krecji going the other way. I'd hate to see that go down unless Carolina includes at the very least a first round pick.

Skinner is a mystery and no way to know what type of contribution he will provide in the future,

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
Krug is a LD which Boston doesn't have a a lot of Chara, Krug, Moore. Krug is also the Quarterback on the Bruins Power Play. I just don't see The Bruins trading Krug just to save cap space, mabe Adam McQuaid the Bruins have plenty of RD so losing McQuaid would hurt as much

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
If it's going to be Jeff Skinner it's going to be David Krecji going the other way. I'd hate to see that go down unless Carolina includes at the very least a first round pick.

Skinner is a mystery and no way to know what type of contribution he will provide in the future,

I want to know what they are supposed to do for a center if they trade one for their 5th or 6th Left Wing.

I don't think it would be wise to trade Krejci without a replacement for him.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
A first, top 6 winger and high end prospect.

If a top 6 winger is not available it could be replaced with a 2019 2nd round pick and a 2020 first round pick.

Ha?

1st
1st
2nd
top prospect

you aint getting that for a small offensive dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad