Proposal: Boston / Edmonton / Minnesota

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Fiala would be an awesome get for the Bruins and the people saying he's not a huge upgrade on Debrusk are out to lunch. That said, I don't think it would be wise to move any major assets for a winger when they have more glaring holes at LD and C.

Moving Swayman could bite them big time. The Bruins lucked out having Thomas and Rask for most of the last 2 decades but have not had a young goalie the caliber of Swayman since Rask. I don't see the Bs creating a big hole in their future unless they are filling another similarly deep hole which doesn't exist at the wing position.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Same for Debrusk

Fiala is a better player, and I'm not arguing otherwise. He would be playing on a 3rd line, just like Debrusk would. I'm not moving Swayman and a pick for a marginal upgrade to the 3rd line.

Same for Debrusk, absolutely. Difference is Fiala has been an ~65pt/82 game winger while Debrusk has been a ~35pt/82 game winger. Surely, you see the difference. Fiala would be your 2RW, and be a significant upgrade at 2RW. Smith is a 45pt winger and, again, 35 and 45 are not comparable to 65. He is not a left wing, so Hall and Marchand have no bearing on him.

You not thinking it's worth the cost - perfectly understandable. You might notice I am not pushing back on anyone else who is against this proposal. You don't need to resort to BSing the reason.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Same for Debrusk, absolutely. Difference is Fiala has been an ~65pt/82 game winger while Debrusk has been a ~35pt/82 game winger. Surely, you see the difference. Fiala would be your 2RW, and be a significant upgrade at 2RW. Smith is a 45pt winger and, again, 35 and 45 are not comparable to 65. He is not a left wing, so Hall and Marchand have no bearing on him.

You not thinking it's worth the cost - perfectly understandable. You might notice I am not pushing back on anyone else who is against this proposal. You don't need to resort to BSing the reason.

Fiala and Craig Smith played together in Nashville. Go ahead and look up how that worked out.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
MN fans say no. Moore's contract seems to be reasonable, but MN must pinch pennies as they enter the salary cap hell of the next three years. DeBrusk has zero value for them...not a need, at all. Bourgault and a 2nd are nice, but do not make up for that deadwood.

BOS fans posting on here don't seem to understand that Fiala plays RW, and is a better talent at this point than Hall, but I can understand completely them not wanting to lose Swayman. Goalies are always undervalued here on HFB.

Not sure what to make of this from EDM's perspective. On the surface Swayman would be just what the doctor ordered, but I have zero faith in EDM not destroying him.

Oh, and overall, this is a decent, well thought out proposal

How have you come to this conclusion? I watch every Taylor Hall game, so I'm biased, but I looked at NST, EH, TopDown and the Athletic and there isn't a comparison tool out there that says Fiala is better than Taylor Hall. It's not a wide gap, sure, and he's younger, but he also only has 1 year of control left and is expecting big money. I like the player, but LW is the Bruin's strongest position. I don't see them making a trade for a top 6 wing at all. I'd definitely trade Swayman, but it would be for a Center.

upload_2022-1-20_15-5-8.png

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Fiala and Craig Smith played together in Nashville. Go ahead and look up how that worked out.

What about "an upgrade on Craig Smith" suggests he's going to play with Craig Smith? I'll spell it out:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Hall - Coyle/Haula - Fiala
Foligno - Haula/Coyle - Smith

OP is a Sens fan my guy

In retrospect I might add a pick from Edmonton and take away a pick from Boston, but yeah... definitely not biased towards any team here. I just read speculation about Swayman being dealt and he made sense to me as a fit for EDM.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Swayman is our goalie of the future. He isn‘t in the NHL now, only because we have two very good, established veterans in net. The only way for the Bruins to part ways with Swayman is if we get an offer we can‘t refuse for what I think is our most glaring issue: the 2C spot.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
What about "an upgrade on Craig Smith" suggests he's going to play with Craig Smith? I'll spell it out:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Hall - Coyle/Haula - Fiala
Foligno - Haula/Coyle - Smith

In retrospect I might add a pick from Edmonton and take away a pick from Boston, but yeah... definitely not biased towards any team here. I just read speculation about Swayman being dealt and he made sense to me as a fit for EDM.

You missed the point.

It's that in the same system, he couldn't outproduce Craig Smith. And it was Smith who had worse linemates nearly all of the time.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
You missed the point.

It's that in the same system, he couldn't outproduce Craig Smith. And it was Smith who had worse linemates nearly all of the time.
Craig smith is 7 years older than Fiala. At this point Fiala would outproduce Craig Smith and would probably be an even better fit with Marchand and Bergeron. Smith and Coyle work well together and would make a very good third line with Steen/Foligno. I would love to be able to add Fiala.

That said, the bones of the three way trade really doesn't make sense for boston or minnesota!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

im not BSing anything. Straight up I’m saying the jump from Debrusk to Fiala is not worth Swayman and the 2. Not even remotely close to me either.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
that would be a mistake to not make him the right wing on halls line.

Considering Pastrnak is there at the moment, and the line is playing quite well, I would disagree.

Now if Fiala were a legitimate 2C we could have that conversation.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You missed the point.

In the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons, Fiala produced at a .55 point per game pace as a 21-22 year old, and Smith produced at a .57 point per game pace as a 28-29 year old and they were each others most common linemate. Since then, Fiala has produced at a .8 point per game pace as a 23-25 year old and Smith has produced at a .5 point per game pace as a 30-32 year old. Craig Smith in Boston has been playing with largely top six players and Fiala has been playing with bottom six players.

So disrespectfully, you have to be dumb to think Smith is anywhere close to Fiala at this point, and I'm not sure you have any clue what you're talking about.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
lol Pasta is playing RW on that line. Should we displace him?

Then put him on the other line with whichever combination of Bergeron, Marchand, Hall that Pastrnak isn't playing with. Seems easy.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Then put him on the other line with whichever combination of Bergeron, Marchand, Hall that Pastrnak isn't playing with. Seems easy.

You can play Fiala on your first line and we can move on. I'm cool with that.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

I think you've missed the point. Boston has no real need for top 6 wingers, regardless of how good Fiala has been. They also need whatever cap space Fiala would take up long term at Center and Swayman is their most valuable chip. Fiala is just not a great fit for the Bruin's roster. They have 87 left shot wingers and both top 6 RW spots are strong and productive. Why would they spend the player they believe is the goalie of the future to essentially upgrade one of their third line wingers? It makes zero sense.

He's a good player. I really like his game. I also think you're right in the Smith vs Fiala argument. He's a much better player than Smith. But why would the Bruins bother? They have only a few assets to trade and a gaping hole at 2C, a position that Fiala does not play. If they are trading Swayman its for Tomas Hertl or some other top 6 center that we don't know about being available yet.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think you've missed the point. Boston has no real need for top 6 wingers, regardless of how good Fiala has been. They also need whatever cap space Fiala would take up long term at Center and Swayman is their most valuable chip. Fiala is just not a great fit for the Bruin's roster. They have 87 left shot wingers and both top 6 RW spots are strong and productive. Why would they spend the player they believe is the goalie of the future to essentially upgrade one of their third line wingers? It makes zero sense.

He's a good player. I really like his game. I also think you're right in the Smith vs Fiala argument. He's a much better player than Smith. But why would the Bruins bother? They have only a few assets to trade and a gaping hole at 2C, a position that Fiala does not play. If they are trading Swayman its for Tomas Hertl or some other top 6 center that we don't know about being available yet.

Was only responding to the notion that you wouldn't have a place for him if you did acquire him. He would be a pretty substantial upgrade to your top six with whoever was left over after the Pastrnak line. I totally understand the reasons you wouldn't want to acquire him.

Reactions: wintersej

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
In the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons, Fiala produced at a .55 point per game pace as a 21-22 year old, and Smith produced at a .57 point per game pace as a 28-29 year old and they were each others most common linemate. Since then, Fiala has produced at a .8 point per game pace as a 23-25 year old and Smith has produced at a .5 point per game pace as a 30-32 year old. Craig Smith in Boston has been playing with largely top six players and Fiala has been playing with bottom six players.

So disrespectfully, you have to be dumb to think Smith is anywhere close to Fiala at this point, and I'm not sure you have any clue what you're talking about.

Only an idiot wouldn't look at power play usage.

Past two seasons Fiala with more than double the time on the PP.

Even-strength points:
Fiala 44
Smith 37

Some embarrassing yourself. They're the same two guys they were in Nashville.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
My assumption was that Boston would be looking for a player who can contribute this season if they were to deal Swayman. I can understand why Bruins fans would be torn on that issue.

Umm Holloway is closer to being nhl ready than Bourgault. Only reason he isn’t always in the league was his wrist surgery

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Mostly I just worry he'd come here, get shelled behind Holland's shitty defence and Playfair's garbage defensive tactics and lose his confidence just to lose his job to whatever washed up 37 year old goalie Holland hands the reigns to this offseason.
We could have that concern about any goalie really, even Vasilevsky, ha ha. We can't let a porous defense prevent us from trying to upgrade in net. We just need to fix one so we can then focus on fixing the other. Not that I really trust Holland to be able to do that at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad