Proposal: Boston / Edmonton / Minnesota

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
For value, I don't think you're far off with Debrusk fetching a 3rd.

Moving Swayman isn't anything I'm interested in.

Fiala is a fine player, but has never scored 60 points in a season.

Literally the only thing Boston gains here is ridding themselves of a year of John Moore's contract, which isn't all that expensive to begin with. And they lose Swayman and a pick. I'll consider Fiala and Debrusk a wash because they wouldn't keep either one of them beyond this season anyway.

Fiala and Debrusk are not close to a wash, and its not Fiala's fault that a good portion of his career and prime have coincided with shortened seasons. Take any given 82 game period since his first full year in Minnesota and he will have 55-65 pts in that period. I also seriously doubt Boston would not retain Fiala.

That said, I can accept that this isn't the right fit for Boston, but your evaluation of Fiala is way, way off.

Really curious where the Lehner/Legwand comparison is coming from, I imagine Swayman is valued a good bit higher than that league wide.

I also don't think its likely Moore is moved right now, he got another concussion during the habs game and is likely out for a while.

Why would Swayman be valued a good bit higher? He's a bit younger, a bit less proven, and with similar pedigree. I chose Lehner because as far as I remember, that's the highest price paid for a young goalie besides Schneider, and I don't think Swayman can be compared to Schneider at the time of the trade.

I dunno... maybe he could return a slightly higher 1st, but I'd be surprised if he returned too much more. Also worth noting that the 1st in question was in the 2015 draft, and there were guys on the board who would likely be top-15 picks in many other drafts.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Fiala and Debrusk are not close to a wash, and its not Fiala's fault that a good portion of his career and prime have coincided with shortened seasons. Take any given 82 game period since his first full year in Minnesota and he will have 55-65 pts in that period. I also seriously doubt Boston would not retain Fiala.

That said, I can accept that this isn't the right fit for Boston, but your evaluation of Fiala is way, way off.

Why would Swayman be valued a good bit higher? He's a bit younger, a bit less proven, and with similar pedigree. I chose Lehner because as far as I remember, that's the highest price paid for a young goalie besides Schneider, and I don't think Swayman can be compared to Schneider at the time of the trade.

I dunno... maybe he could return a slightly higher 1st, but I'd be surprised if he returned too much more. Also worth noting that the 1st in question was in the 2015 draft, and there were guys on the board who would likely be top-15 picks in many other drafts.

IMO Swayman has more value than Martin Jones in 2015 and Sweeney got a first from a bottom 10 team the year prior and a decent prospect in Kuraly.

The thing is the Bs didn’t need Jones. The Bruins need Swayman. If I were Sweeney The only way I’m moving Swayman is if it’s in a package for top pairing LD or top 6 center.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

I am not gonna comment too much on the proposal itself. I think it's a bit off, but far from terrible overall, at least by this site's standards. Ususally these proposals, especcially ones that involve 3 teams, are much worse than this.

But I really like that you address the bolded part.
In particular when it comes to players in their early to mid-twenties, who have been entering their prime these last couple of seasons, the old "player X is not a Y-point player because he has never scored Y points in a season" is really stupid.
I mean, I guess Kaprizov is not technically a 60-point player, but since he was scoring at a 76 point pace last season and is now at a 106 point pace (I believe). Does anybody really think he has no more value than a 60-point player?
It's obviously closer with Fiala. And I don't think he will be a 60-point player every season from now on, but he should usually get close and could maybe even hit 70 a couple of times, depending on his role.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
MN fans say no. Moore's contract seems to be reasonable, but MN must pinch pennies as they enter the salary cap hell of the next three years. DeBrusk has zero value for them...not a need, at all. Bourgault and a 2nd are nice, but do not make up for that deadwood.

BOS fans posting on here don't seem to understand that Fiala plays RW, and is a better talent at this point than Hall, but I can understand completely them not wanting to lose Swayman. Goalies are always undervalued here on HFB.

Not sure what to make of this from EDM's perspective. On the surface Swayman would be just what the doctor ordered, but I have zero faith in EDM not destroying him.

Oh, and overall, this is a decent, well thought out proposal

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Not sure what to make of this from EDM's perspective. On the surface Swayman would be just what the doctor ordered, but I have zero faith in EDM not destroying him.

Oh, and overall, this is a decent, well thought out proposal

Edmonton wouldnt pay that price for a young goalie, Holland has said itll be nearly impossible to pry his prospects and 1sts away from him. With that said I also share the fear that whoever Edmonton picks up they'll just ruin anyway because for 8 years our goalie coach has made every single goalie worse over time.

Reactions: PuckG

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Fiala and Jake aren't a wash! Minnesota could trade fiala and get a 1st with top c prospect! Jake doesn't have any value! Also fiala has taken off since being paired with boldy

I suggest they do that then.

To Boston, Fiala and Debrusk are essentially worth the same. The ever so slim upgrade for half a season of Fiala over Debrusk just isn't worth Swayman and a 2nd.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Edmonton wouldnt pay that price for a young goalie, Holland has said itll be nearly impossible to pry his prospects and 1sts away from him. With that said I also share the fear that whoever Edmonton picks up they'll just ruin anyway because for 8 years our goalie coach has made every single goalie worse over time.
The Buffalo effect.

I really don't know what to do with EDM...or rather I do have a rough idea, but think it won't happen. I am not sure that Vasilevsky wouldn't end up looking bad there, over time.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Same for Debrusk

Fiala is a better player, and I'm not arguing otherwise. He would be playing on a 3rd line, just like Debrusk would. I'm not moving Swayman and a pick for a marginal upgrade to the 3rd line.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I suggest they do that then.

To Boston, Fiala and Debrusk are essentially worth the same. The ever so slim upgrade for half a season of Fiala over Debrusk just isn't worth Swayman and a 2nd.
You don't have a clue as to what Fiala is, then.

PastaSawce

Mar 6, 2021
Western MA
Then it will be nearly impossible for Edmonton to make the playoffs. Thinking your team is going to fix any of its issues without giving up a 1st or top prospect is delusional.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
The Buffalo effect.

I really don't know what to do with EDM...or rather I do have a rough idea, but think it won't happen. I am not sure that Vasilevsky wouldn't end up looking bad there, over time.
Fire tippet, bring in Jay Woodcroft

Fire Schwartz(goalie coach), Mike Smith retires and becomes the new goalie coach.

Those preclude any other moves. This roster is better than the results and i wouldn't be surprised seeing the team go on a big run after.

Holland needs to go as well but the only way that happens is if we miss.

Then it will be nearly impossible for Edmonton to make the playoffs. Thinking your team is going to fix any of its issues without giving up a 1st or top prospect is delusional.
Preaching to the chore. Most oil fans based on management and media's comments believe that Connor and Leon have committed to winning in Edmonton so we think Holland has reserved himself to build through the draft again. I don't think he has any interest in making moves to make the playoffs this year but simultaneously it's also been implied that Katz is getting extremely impatient and vocal. It wouldn't shock me if Nicholson and Holland are removed if we miss.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don’t mind targeting Swayman, but IMO he’s too young in his career for me to justify paying that kind of price for. He’d get nowhere near the kind of defensive support he does in Boston.

doesnt it just make more sense for the Bruins to hide him on the taxi squad anyway? Rask is coming in old and cold, trading Swayman now doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for them.
I don't agree that Swayman isn't a good target for Edmonton. He's too good of a target for Edmonton. He's perfect, he's a young guy who can come in, as good enough to keep us in games, is cheap, and we can sign him long term. Which is why Boston isn't going to move him. You are 100% correct in that the only thing that makes sense for the Bruins is to slide Swayman for the taxi squad. It gives the B's 3 starting quality goalies for the playoffs, which is an incredibly luxury to have.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think the other guy is confused. Holland has always said it will be hard to get his top prospects and 1st round picks for rentals. Swayman isn't a rental. I think if Holland thinks as highly of Swayman as he should, he would make some pretty good prospects available. Not Holloway, maybe not Broberg, but I don't think he would have the luxury of saying his top 4 or 5 prospects are off the table here.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015

As Edmonton fans, we all have the same fear...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't agree that Swayman isn't a good target for Edmonton. He's too good of a target for Edmonton. He's perfect, he's a young guy who can come in, as good enough to keep us in games, is cheap, and we can sign him long term. Which is why Boston isn't going to move him. You are 100% correct in that the only thing that makes sense for the Bruins is to slide Swayman for the taxi squad. It gives the B's 3 starting quality goalies for the playoffs, which is an incredibly luxury to have.

Mostly I just worry he'd come here, get shelled behind Holland's shitty defence and Playfair's garbage defensive tactics and lose his confidence just to lose his job to whatever washed up 37 year old goalie Holland hands the reigns to this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad