GDT: Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres - 1/31/13 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Most of the goals were because of missed defensive assignments I think 3/7 goals were from 2 on 1s

Defense sucked

Ference has been horrible this year. Stupid hippie

Chara had a bad game. I forget which goal but played way high at one point that caused a goal.

Boychuck got stood up at his blue line that lead to a 2 on 1 (one timer)

Ference was a dink tonight...

All things that we know we're better at. My biggest concern is our PP, how is are assistance coaching staff the same as last year and the year before.
I mean, dear god.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
I have seen many defensive cluster ****s in person.. but I have never seen a beat down that bad.

Totally took the life out of the building.

In the first period at least....once we got up 2-1 the crowd was on Miller pretty hard....then the 5 on 3 happened.....

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Thing is, Scott took down our heavy, no reason the Bruins couldn't have just gone down the line with Lucic, McQuaid, etc.
They could of, but they've never been a team to throw away a game over that crap anyway. When they went up by 2, I thought something like that may happen. Score never allowed for it. There's a time and place.

ogoaltrop

Oct 9, 2011
Thing is, Scott took down our heavy, no reason the Bruins couldn't have just gone down the line with Lucic, McQuaid, etc.

I believe Scott pointed at Lucic as to say ..... one down your next ! Luc failed to engage.

There was an eerie silence in the building, one ya dont usually hear after Thornton lost.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
In the first period at least....once we got up 2-1 the crowd was on Miller pretty hard....then the 5 on 3 happened.....

the worst part is that while people will point to the 5 on 3 as the turning point, the Bruins got the lead back in the 3rd and still lost the game by 3 goals!

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
Our Defense has been pretty lax so far this season. Too many odd man rushes, too many guys allowed to get into the slot unchallenged.

Bad game tonight. Shawn got his ass kicked but I don't see that as a big deal...he got ko'ed by Carcillo a few years back, and the universe persisted.

Rask was hung out to dry a few times but a .800 save percentage is unacceptable. I am starting to worry about Bergy and seguin (mostly segzy)...they are both seeming to be suffering from some form of brain trauma that has somehow sapped their ability to play good, creative hockey.

Oh well....bad night. Lots of things to learn from.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I believe Scott pointed at Lucic as to say ..... one down your next ! Luc failed to engage.

There was an eerie silence in the building, one ya dont usually hear after Thornton lost.

Lucic's job tonight was to school Myers on the boards all night, which he did. Scott didn't go anywhere near Lucic, he'd have to skate to do that. Double runners tend to cut down your speed.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
the worst part is that while people will point to the 5 on 3 as the turning point, the Bruins got the lead back in the 3rd and still lost the game by 3 goals!

Well technically the Sabres should not have been in the game if not for that 5 on 3. :)

I still don't know how Chara didn't score on that wide open one timer he had in the third when we were down by 1.

At the end of the day, no need for an over reaction over this game...Buffalo had lost 4 games in a row so obviously their face lift hasn't given them the desired results.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
oh well. Nobody promised we'd get points in all 48 games.

The 5 on 3 goal was to be expected, but that tying goal was a killer.

OK, anytime now Segs.

The one game Bourque is on the 9th floor is when we finally lose one in regulation. Coincidence? :naughty:

We should have gooned it up after their TO. The next game in Buff will be a rough and tumble affair since those a-holes are feeling pretty good about themselves right about now.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Where they on the ice at the same time after that? I see Scott only had 4 minutes and change.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The Bruins had 42 shots on goal and 24 shots blocked. Crazy.

I thought the Bergeron line was the best line tonight.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The fact that Lindy is afraid of Mac is hilarious.

Wouldn't be shocked to learn that Lucic was told not to fight.

Bruins played Buffalo's game tonight and got burned. They need to play their game next time.

The refs are just turrible.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Ah, hell. Let 'em have their win. By the sounds of it, they earned it tonight. Your description of the game dismays me, but also makes me REAL excited for Game 2.

Tuukka summed it up nicely. On the news he just said something along the lines of," We had a lot of brain farts...when guys are allowed to be alone in front of the net w/ the puck for 5 seconds, it's just not Bruin like."

He's right, just a charlie foxtrot of a night. But I'm glad it's him saying it, and not TT. Or else.... "meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooow hissssssssssssssssssss" time from the fanbase.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Tuukka summed it up nicely. On the news he just said something along the lines of," We had a lot of brain farts...when guys are allowed to be alone in front of the net w/ the puck for 5 seconds, it's just not Bruin like."

He's right, just a charlie foxtrot of a night. But I'm glad it's him saying it, and not TT. Or else.... "meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooow hissssssssssssssssssss" time from the fanbase.

:laugh: So true.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
If we buy into hockey's code of manhood, we should accept what happened tonight. Bear with me for a moment. This is what happens when you humiliate someone. The Bruins (and Lucic to be more precise) humiliated the Sabres by running Miller. The Sabres allowed the humiliation to pass without response --at first. But Lindy Ruff, for one, isn't one to take that and just forget about it. So tonight Scott pounds Thornton and Stafford elbows Hamilton. I hate to say it, but it's really just karma coming back to us. Now of course it's the B's turn to stew on their hurt pride for a while. But now what?

A friend of mine recently referred to hockey fanhood as "outsourced masculinity". We get all worked up and pissed off and want the other team's players beat up but it's not us going out there and getting our heads pounded in. That used to be fun, in the old days of innocence, when we didn't know jack about brain damage. We don't have that innocence anymore, and every time a player takes a bare-knuckled shot to the head I cringe a little. I try to enjoy it, but I'm having trouble compartmentalizing the revenge-thirsty barbarian from the empathetic human being in me. I think of Boogard and Seau, and find that I'm getting less good at the bloodlust each day.

On the game itself: it was as fabulous an offensive game for the B's as it was terrible defensively. Marchand & Peverley were magnificent, of course. On the other end, Chara was way off (and I wonder if that was in part b/c Thornton vs Scott weighed on his mind), and Hamilton had some shaky moments. That said, I find myself thinking that Hamilton will ultimately be the greater player than Seguin. I feel that Dougie's hockey IQ is higher. Seguin has tremendous agility, speed, and skill with the stick, but he continues to skate himself into dead ends. Contrast him Krejci for example- who doesn't have nearly the same physical gifts - but who, if anything, finds the exit signs in the dead ends. Contrast him with Marchand, even, who quick though he is, knows when to put on the brakes upon crossing the blue line to find support. I still believe Seguin can learn these things, but I expected to see more signs of it by now.

Well, that's all for now. Needed to get some things off my chest. Hope I didn't bum anyone out with these comments.

Can't top this excellent observation and summation. I'd only add that it's hard to dislike Scott judging on his comments after the game. He's obviously no guttersnipe. Seems pretty classy. Bruins win next four in a row.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Your coming being a dink after your record this season? Really? Honestly, though. You like Buffalo. Buffalo, NY. Think about that. Even if you don't live there. You like Buffalo. :laugh:

wide right...nogoal.com....the lake effect. They're a mess. Let them be happy on this last day of January early in the season.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

This is one of those nights I hate the forum trolls are out in full force. I post a legitimate topic and its gone but a topic about marchand is on like page 9.

Bizzaro world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad