GDT: Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres - 1/31/13 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
He handled the drugged out, punched out Boogaard. I doubt he would do that great vs. the older version.

I honestly don't think any of the Bruins knew Hamilton was elbowed..WE didn't know until the slow mo replay.

Come on Lou. Your really gonna get into a pissing contest about Boogaards fighting ability when shawn handled him?

in that same season he crushed guys like Steve MacIntyre after thornton beat him and the season before he was doing the same to Brian McGrattan. Both whom people are calling for hte bruins to actually trade for or acquire.

He lost. It happens. Colton Orr was washed up after parros and he sent Scott to his knees. As in boxing, it takes 1 loss to be washed up and 1 win to be a contender.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
in that same season he crushed guys like Steve MacIntyre after thornton beat him and the season before he was doing the same to Brian McGrattan. Both whom people are calling for hte bruins to actually trade for or acquire.

He lost. It happens. Colton Orr was washed up after parros and he sent Scott to his knees. As in boxing, it takes 1 loss to be washed up and 1 win to be a contender.

Again I don't mind that...but he did more then lose...He got hurt. It looked like he got badly hurt.

What would the big deal had been had a Kassian or McGrattan been in there instead of MacDemid? And have them deal with Scott? Or better yet, what's the big deal next time?

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So why put the vanek line with 13 second with a 3 goals lead, IMO it was already in Ruff mind. so now he can make an excuse.

Not only is that line the Sabres best offensive line but also the best defensively... plus who doesn't put their best line out with a 2 goal lead with an open net?

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
If we buy into hockey's code of manhood, we should accept what happened tonight. Bear with me for a moment. This is what happens when you humiliate someone. The Bruins (and Lucic to be more precise) humiliated the Sabres by running Miller. The Sabres allowed the humiliation to pass without response --at first. But Lindy Ruff, for one, isn't one to take that and just forget about it. So tonight Scott pounds Thornton and Stafford elbows Hamilton. I hate to say it, but it's really just karma coming back to us. Now of course it's the B's turn to stew on their hurt pride for a while. But now what?

A friend of mine recently referred to hockey fanhood as "outsourced masculinity". We get all worked up and pissed off and want the other team's players beat up but it's not us going out there and getting our heads pounded in. That used to be fun, in the old days of innocence, when we didn't know jack about brain damage. We don't have that innocence anymore, and every time a player takes a bare-knuckled shot to the head I cringe a little. I try to enjoy it, but I'm having trouble compartmentalizing the revenge-thirsty barbarian from the empathetic human being in me. I think of Boogard and Seau, and find that I'm getting less good at the bloodlust each day.

On the game itself: it was as fabulous an offensive game for the B's as it was terrible defensively. Marchand & Peverley were magnificent, of course. On the other end, Chara was way off (and I wonder if that was in part b/c Thornton vs Scott weighed on his mind), and Hamilton had some shaky moments. That said, I find myself thinking that Hamilton will ultimately be the greater player than Seguin. I feel that Dougie's hockey IQ is higher. Seguin has tremendous agility, speed, and skill with the stick, but he continues to skate himself into dead ends. Contrast him Krejci for example- who doesn't have nearly the same physical gifts - but who, if anything, finds the exit signs in the dead ends. Contrast him with Marchand, even, who quick though he is, knows when to put on the brakes upon crossing the blue line to find support. I still believe Seguin can learn these things, but I expected to see more signs of it by now.

Well, that's all for now. Needed to get some things off my chest. Hope I didn't bum anyone out with these comments.

Last edited:

ogoaltrop

Oct 9, 2011
C'mon.... Ya gotta admit for Sabes fans the beatdown by Scott on Thornton was pretty monumental. Lets face it, had it been the other way around, every poster here would have that video linked up. It was a pivotal part of the game and for us had to happen.

Big props to Thornton for even throwing down. Rob Ray on the radio before the game had a huge story on what it feels like for enforcers on game day and the repercussions they all face.

Both defenses horrid ............ If the B's stay out of the box in the 2nd, they win.

I usually dont score hat tricks, but when I do, its against the Bruins !- T Vanek

Till the next one.............

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Again I don't mind that...but he did more then lose...He got hurt. It looked like he got badly hurt.

What would the big deal had been had a Kassian or McGrattan been in there instead of MacDemid? And have them deal with Scott? Or better yet, what's the big deal next time?

because we have a figher who isn't (usually, last couple games are debateable) a liability who can play more than 3 minutes a game. Also, you talk like Guys like McGrattan and Kassian want to sit in the AHL for the rest of their careers waiting on fight that some think thornton can't handle.

Don't both of them have full time gigs? Thornton gets paid to fight. He gets paid to be a 4th line guy who isn't a liability on the ice.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
i would think the Sabre fans wouldn't touch the bruins forum for at least 10 years after being embarrased by the underdog bruins in the playoffs

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
blows my mind that i come here expecting people to be ranting about how the Bruins D shat the bed in the 3rd after winning the first 2 periods but instead every other post is about a meaningless fight. Bruins fans have pretty screwed up priorities sometimes.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
tell me honestly...how many people care more that Thornton lost a totally lopsided fight than that the Bruins lost a game that they had in the bag multiple times? If your first thought after this game is to make excuses for Thornton then your priorities as a fan our totally out of order. I can't believe how awful the D was in the 3rd. Ference and Chara in particular were atrocious.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
blows my mind that i come here expecting people to be ranting about how the Bruins D shat the bed in the 3rd after winning the first 2 periods but instead every other post is about a meaningless fight. Bruins fans have pretty screwed up priorities sometimes.

The entire lead up in the GDT prior to the game was about who was gonna fight who. It's really not surprising there's all this talk about the one fight that actually happened.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
tell me honestly...how many people care more that Thornton lost a totally lopsided fight than that the Bruins lost a game that they had in the bag multiple times? If your first thought after this game is to make excuses for Thornton then your priorities as a fan our totally out of order. I can't believe how awful the D was in the 3rd. Ference and Chara in particular were atrocious.

We aren't used to losing on the scoreboard and in the alley. :nod:

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
C'mon.... Ya gotta admit for Sabes fans the beatdown by Scott on Thornton was pretty monumental. Lets face it, had it been the other way around, every poster here would have that video linked up. It was a pivotal part of the game and for us had to happen.

Big props to Thornton for even throwing down. Rob Ray on the radio before the game had a huge story on what it feels like for enforcers on game day and the repercussions they all face.

Both defenses horrid ............ If the B's stay out of the box in the 2nd, they win.

I usually dont score hat tricks, but when I do, its against the Bruins !- T Vanek

Till the next one.............

The guy is 6'8". He has no excuse for losing. The prob you're going to run into is if Chara snaps. And the rest of the B's follow suit. Then you're going to be out gunned all over again. And, we'll have to listen to Ruff and Miller whine a/b it per usual. Hopefully Miller keeps his mask on this time. That lopsided head of his creeps me out.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston

Fans reaction to thorty sickens me.

We were like the sabres before him. Spineless.

Our D will be fine, they were due for a stinker. It happens.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Jeez, just got back from the Crust show and saw the lowlights......what an old-fashioned beat down. Gawd I hate that team....and Vanek continues to smoke us. sigh*

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
We aren't used to losing on the scoreboard and in the alley. :nod:

except this wasn't really that sort of thing. It was a total staged fight that had very little to do with the game. If the two teams had had a line brawl and the Bruins got their butts kicked then I'd be concerned, but Scott beating up Thornton doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and doesn't really say anything about the toughness of either team. Just seems to me that fans should be way more concerned about how badly this team played hockey in the third. That was honestly the worst breakdown this team has had since game 7 in 2010.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
The guy is 6'8". He has no excuse for losing. The prob you're going to run into is if Chara snaps. And the rest of the B's follow suit. Then you're going to be out gunned all over again. And, we'll have to listen to Ruff and Miller whine a/b it per usual. Hopefully Miller keeps his mask on this time. That lopsided head of his creeps me out.

Thing is, Scott took down our heavy, no reason the Bruins couldn't have just gone down the line with Lucic, McQuaid, etc.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
what do you mean lol
6a0120a6dde087970b01543205eee3970c-800wi

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Most of the goals were because of missed defensive assignments I think 3/7 goals were from 2 on 1s

Defense sucked

Ference has been horrible this year. Stupid hippie

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
except this wasn't really that sort of thing. It was a total staged fight that had very little to do with the game. If the two teams had had a line brawl and the Bruins got their butts kicked then I'd be concerned, but Scott beating up Thornton doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and doesn't really say anything about the toughness of either team. Just seems to me that fans should be way more concerned about how badly this team played hockey in the third. That was honestly the worst breakdown this team has had since game 7 in 2010.

I was saying earlier the Sabres looked no different to me than years past in terms of toughness....Bruins let them off the hook - that third period defense was atrocious.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena

I have seen many defensive cluster ****s in person.. but I have never seen a beat down that bad.

Totally took the life out of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad