GDT: Boston Bruins Scrimmage - 1-15-13 - Babies 7 - Big Boys 5

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Agreed. I can't believe Marchand was the best player on that line (and he actually looked really good). We need Bergeron and Seguin to carry the load right from the get-go.

Despite the G & A for Marchand, I thought he was by far the worst player on that line. A lot of bad decisions. No worries about the other 2. That wrister on the goal was sweet though.

Bourque looked great with the Kelly line, maybe we'll have some 3rd line magic again.

Looch and Horton need to get in game shape quick, lots of rust there.

Merlot line was all pretty bad.

D was pretty sloppy. McQuaid was awful, I think that was a bit of frustration with his game showing through when he went after McD and then Robins. Hamilton had a few rough shifts, can't let Florek stand there and take 5 shots at Rask, but showed some real nice things too. Fluid skater and a great outlet pass. The decision making will come. He showed he wasn't afraid to take shots and jump into the play on the PP which was nice for a rook.

Goaltending wasn't sharp, but hard to judge in a game this sloppily played ... looked like on of my rec league games out there.

Edit: And Sauve may have worked his way into the conversation for a big league job. He was the best performer on the ice last night.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
In all seriousness folks, we`re going to be watching some pretty butt ugly hockey for a couple of weeks. In a regular training camp, they`d have just about been through their physicals by now, not playing games.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Is practice today at 10 like it says on the website or at 11 like Sweet cheeks said last night?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I loved Segin's defensive move that poached the puck and set up Bergeron for a chance. It was Bergy esque. Just beautiful. I'll post the play it looked like when I get to a computer.

Did Bergy bulk up? He looked bigger than he did last season? Same with Krug?

I thought the 3rd line looked great. Kelly had a nice open ice shoulder check in the 2nd.

Loved "Bork" and Sauve. Didn't notice much Spooner.

I don't think McQuaid should play on Saturday. Put Johnson in.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
In all seriousness folks, we`re going to be watching some pretty butt ugly hockey for a couple of weeks. In a regular training camp, they`d have just about been through their physicals by now, not playing games.

If other teams are scrimmaging this week with their AHL clubs, you'll probably see the same sort of games. Of course the NHLers are more talented, but the AHLers are all in game shape and playing as a team. Not to mention that it's a perfect opportunity to get noticed.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If other teams are scrimmaging this week with their AHL clubs, you'll probably see the same sort of games. Of course the NHLers are more talented, but the AHLers are all in game shape and playing as a team. Not to mention that it's a perfect opportunity to get noticed.

Agreed. Maybe would have liked the goalies to be sharper, but I didn't see it so I don't even know if they really tried or gave it an All Star game type effort.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Im glad Mcquaid lost the fight. He really doesnt have anything more to prove as far as fighting goes, and it means theyre that much deeper an organzation in toughness.

Not so sure about that. I love him, but his fight card is pretty limited and seems to stick around his own weight class or lower.

That being said, I think he needs to turn his game into a Jason Smith type and just learn the trade and not worry about the fighting..

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Agreed. Maybe would have liked the goalies to be sharper, but I didn't see it so I don't even know if they really tried or gave it an All Star game type effort.

I don't know if you want my opinion since you apparently think it's stupid, but I'll offer one thought... the Bruins would normally be knocking the daylights out of forwards in front of Tuukka. The goals I saw (I was behind the net) were deflections and garbage shots that opposing forwards usually don't get a chance at unless someone misses an assignment. One was a direct result of Dougie getting caught high and losing his man. Another was a stand-and-whack-away effort that ordinarily would have resulted in the forward eating ice.

Oh, and one more thing (and then I'll cease with my worthless offerings): Rask played in Europe but came home more than a month ago. He was obviously rusty.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't know if you want my opinion since you apparently think it's stupid, but I'll offer one thought... the Bruins would normally be knocking the daylights out of forwards in front of Tuukka. The goals I saw (I was behind the net) were deflections and garbage shots that opposing forwards usually don't get a chance at unless someone misses an assignment. One was a direct result of Dougie getting caught high and losing his man. Another was a stand-and-whack-away effort that ordinarily would have resulted in the forward eating ice.

Oh, and one more thing (and then I'll cease with my worthless offerings): Rask played in Europe but came home more than a month ago. He was obviously rusty.

Hahahah the "Full Artemis" thing was a joke... I thought it was funny because most of us were joking and the poster went all defensive!... :) I told you I liked your in game viewings in the Providence threads..

That's what I figured. They played pretty loose in the slot... Rangers won't be so lucky. And didn't realize that Tuuk was here so long, good point and explains the rust..

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Despite the G & A for Marchand, I thought he was by far the worst player on that line. A lot of bad decisions. No worries about the other 2. That wrister on the goal was sweet though.

Bourque looked great with the Kelly line, maybe we'll have some 3rd line magic again.

Looch and Horton need to get in game shape quick, lots of rust there.

Merlot line was all pretty bad.

D was pretty sloppy. McQuaid was awful, I think that was a bit of frustration with his game showing through when he went after McD and then Robins. Hamilton had a few rough shifts, can't let Florek stand there and take 5 shots at Rask, but showed some real nice things too. Fluid skater and a great outlet pass. The decision making will come. He showed he wasn't afraid to take shots and jump into the play on the PP which was nice for a rook.

Goaltending wasn't sharp, but hard to judge in a game this sloppily played ... looked like on of my rec league games out there.

Edit: And Sauve may have worked his way into the conversation for a big league job. He was the best performer on the ice last night.

interesting how two people can watch the same game and come to different conclusions. I thought Marchand looked very quick and impressive. I also thought Robins pretty much jumped in; Hamilton had his moments but seemed a bit tentative certainly based on his previous wild colt approach. The rest I totally agree although the merlot line didn't look to bad to me- Bourque was very good, and definitely rec league- Looch and Horton rusty, although Krejci is the engine on this line.

as for goaltending- they will go as far as Tuukka takes them or whoever plays net. The get very good goaltending they'll be very good.

doakacola*

Feb 12, 2009
interesting how two people can watch the same game and come to different conclusions. I thought Marchand looked very quick and impressive. I also thought Robins pretty much jumped in; Hamilton had his moments but seemed a bit tentative certainly based on his previous wild colt approach. The rest I totally agree although the merlot line didn't look to bad to me- Bourque was very good, and definitely rec league- Looch and Horton rusty, although Krejci is the engine on this line.

as for goaltending- they will go as far as Tuukka takes them or whoever plays net. The get very good goaltending they'll be very good.

If Sauve is a LW would you give him a game or two on Lucic's spot until Lucic gets in shape?
Again don't know if Sauve is a LW.

FallsForItEveryYear

Jun 26, 2007
some of the overreaction on here to this game is disappointing. enough of you guys must have played competitive hockey enough to know chemistry and game shape play an immense roll in the outcome of games. i was not surprised in the least that providence won.

i take almost nothing out of that game. i look at dougie cause hes been playing regularly and kept an eye on some of the upper tier prospects that should be fighting for call ups. the veterans particularly the ones who havent played overseas, could not possible care less about how they played. i assumed rust and game shape would be an issue.

same with the goalies. with so little checking (smart. cant afford to injure our own) that left a lot of players free to get to the front of the net that normally would have had to fight to get there. offensive skill is more likely to show through in a game like this and defensive system and positioning will suffer until they get more practice.

relax people

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If Sauve is a LW would you give him a game or two on Lucic's spot until Lucic gets in shape?

to funny, my kid said the same thing:laugh: and truthfully I think Sauve looked much better last night and is a solid player regardless what league he is in- he can play

Lucic is going to be making 6 M and Sauve about 60,000 per year so I don't think so, but pretty amazing when you think about it

rudos1

Oct 22, 2009
some of the overreaction on here to this game is disappointing. enough of you guys must have played competitive hockey enough to know chemistry and game shape play an immense roll in the outcome of games. i was not surprised in the least that providence won.

i take almost nothing out of that game. i look at dougie cause hes been playing regularly and kept an eye on some of the upper tier prospects that should be fighting for call ups. the veterans particularly the ones who havent played overseas, could not possible care less about how they played. i assumed rust and game shape would be an issue.

same with the goalies. with so little checking (smart. cant afford to injure our own) that left a lot of players free to get to the front of the net that normally would have had to fight to get there. offensive skill is more likely to show through in a game like this and defensive system and positioning will suffer until they get more practice.

relax people

QFT
I was saying to the wife last night this is just a chance for the boys to get on the ice and sharpen up a bit. You knew there would not be regular game style checking and that means it's just a workout nothing to get too excited or bummed about. Go Bz!!!

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.

relax people

A very convincing argument ...until I see your username.

:sarcasm:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

For sure, and didn't want to make it sounds like I was belittling anyone elses opinion, but I thought Marchy was struggling. Quaider wanted McD and it's hard to judge from the crappy angle of the stream but it looked to me when McD wasn't going to go and he saw Robins skating over he headed straight for him and even dropped the mits first.

All in all best not to take too much away from a scrimmage. The good news is a couple of the candidates for the biggest line up question mark had good showings.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
to funny, my kid said the same thing:laugh: and truthfully I think Sauve looked much better last night and is a solid player regardless what league he is in- he can play

Lucic is going to be making 6 M and Sauve about 60,000 per year so I don't think so, but pretty amazing when you think about it

Lucic won't be making $6m until 13-14 season,, I think

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I kind of forgot about him and when I did pay attention he didn't really show to much- not suprisingly he was no way even close to the guy I saw for Niagra who roamed all over. He is pretty tall, and he is a very good skater; I'd say he is 200 NHL games before we see what we hope to consistently. In Niagra he could use the entire sheet no matter what side he was assinged, but tonight he seemed to stay on his side of the ice and was not in risk take mode. He did once up the side, lost it and Marchand almost scored on a rush, that probably made him think twice

There are very few Ray Bourque's on defense as you know- but he is on the right team for learning the position

I don't think the Nick Boynton style is much appreciated in the Julien system.

Noticed in the World Juniors that Hamilton chased a lot also. He didn't appear to be as polished defensively as many other junior Dmen were. I think you're right, its going to take a few years to see the finished product.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I went to practice today and Seguin absolutely embarrassed the D today. He has a legit chance to be a top 10 scorer this year.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
I went to practice today and Seguin absolutely embarrassed the D today. He has a legit chance to be a top 10 scorer this year.

It's amazing how much confidence he has in himself and his line so far this year compared to his rookie year. I mean, it's not surprising but I clearly remember the same tentativeness that Dougie showed last night with Seguin a couple years ago. Even in the scrimmage, he was still going relatively hard into the corners.

Speaking of Hamilton, it's clear Claude is going to have him work on his defense right off the bat. I think that was apparent when he put him out there for the 5on3. But I also liked that Claude had him on a PP unit and basically had him out there for any situation. I don't know if it's a sign of things to come but if Claude can mold Dougie into a responsible defensman AND a potent weapon on the PP.. well, that's as ideal as you can get.

As for the scrimmage itself, I don't think any one player was glaringly bad. It was just the mentality of the Boston Bruins as a whole. Although Lucic definitely needs to shake off the most amount of rust. Seems like he was falling down on every shift.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Sauve is a center but a left shot and and I actually had that thought run across my mind with sauve playing the first handful of games on the "1st" line until looch was ready but thinking more, lucic' lack of game shape won't improve unless he is playing in games. Just have to let him work the kinks out when the games count and hope he's back up to speed by mid february

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad