Boston Bruins: Most Hated NHL Team on Earth?

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
They're still Bruins fans on social media and their comments were still ignorant. Your added text doesn't change that. Not to mention, it's happened twice in the space of 3 years.

Yes, it's only a select few but that doesn't change what was said. Do they represent the fans as a whole? Not even close but I'm all for shaming Bruins fans if it means the select few begin to reconsider their actions. Regardless of media exaggeration, I don't think these poll results are something to celebrate.

What was said was abhorrent, but one cannot ignore the fact that the views of a very few ignorant people were incorrectly and unfairly manipulated by rival press corps to paint an entire fan base with a very broad brush. And if that is what people are using to justify their "hate" for the Bruins, then their "hate" may not be as abhorrent as those who wrote the tweets, but it is certainly just as misguided and ignorant. And though I'll probably not celebrate the misguided ignorance of a rival fan base, I'll certainly not give it any credence.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
They're still Bruins fans on social media and their comments were still ignorant. Your added text doesn't change that. Not to mention, it's happened twice in the space of 3 years.

Yes, it's only a select few but that doesn't change what was said. Do they represent the fans as a whole? Not even close but I'm all for shaming Bruins fans if it means the select few begin to reconsider their actions. Regardless of media exaggeration, I don't think these poll results are something to celebrate.

WHAT'S happened twice in three years? It can't be yahoos making dumb comments via social media, because that happens 24/7, 365 days per year, around the world.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Hey, here's an ideal. Why don't we shame the actual fools themselves and not an entire group of people who had nothing to do with it? or is paining a large group of people with the same broad brush ok?

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
What was said was abhorrent, but one cannot ignore the fact that the views of a very few ignorant people were incorrectly and unfairly manipulated by rival press corps to paint an entire fan base with a very broad brush. And if that is what people are using to justify their "hate" for the Bruins, then their "hate" may not be as abhorrent as those who wrote the tweets, but it is certainly just as misguided and ignorant. And though I'll probably not celebrate the misguided ignorance of a rival fan base, I'll certainly not give it any credence.

It happens all the time in other markets as well with much less publicity, New York and Philly recently and notably. It's inexcusable no matter the origin, but it kind of does reinforce the "everyone hates Boston" narrative, albeit not necessarily for the reasons OP noted.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Apparently the poll was "who are the most racist bigotted fans in the NHL"?

Relax, it's a bit of fun. People hate Boston sports teams, it's because the city has enjoyed a lot of success in the Pro Sports world for a sustained period of time, and has multiple deep rooted rivalries with other major centres in their respective sports. The city certainly has a spotty history with race relations, but the argument that it's any more so these days than any other major center is a lazy argument by short sighted individuals who already have an agenda going in looking for a reason to exploit it.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hey, here's an ideal. Why don't we shame the actual fools themselves and not an entire group of people who had nothing to do with it? or is paining a large group of people with the same broad brush ok?

And judging by the fact that those yahoos were ignorant of Jerome Iginla's race, or that Malcolm Subban is in our farm system, I classify "fans" like them in the same way I classified the moron I saw in 2011, who jumped up on the bar with his brand new Bruins T and yelled "World F-ing Champions!!!". That is to say if a "fan" is so ignorant to not know the NHL Stanley Cup Championship has nothing to do with the Hockey World Championship where sub-par NHL players who miss the post-season go to play, then they aren't really "fans" at all.

Needless to say, I told that moron to shut the hell up, as I would someone who embarrassed themselves by spouting racist crap.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You told that guy to shut up? Really? At that moment you couldn't just let that slide? You weren't happy enough to not care?

It was after the fifth or sixth time he did it that I finally told him to shut up. The fact that he kicked over my beer certainly didn't help. Plus, it wasn't at the moment we won, it was about 2 hours after the Cup was handed out.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hmmmm.......without the kicked beer I'd rule against you, but I'll allow it.

Trust me, if this guy could have figured out how to work a lighter, he would have been burning Police cars. He was shattered and looking to make a spectacle of himself. The fact that the Bruins were now "World Champions" was just a convenient excuse. I bet he's also got a Celtics T-shirt from 2008 that he never wore again.

member 96824

The night they won, I was so happy I would have called them universe champions.

I cant fathom anyone being angry enough to point out the difference between stanley cup and world champs

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007
I have to admit I'm a little pissed off about Pennsylvania, clearly we have some work to do:sarcasm:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I can dig it. It's fun being the bad guy once and a while. :P

I imagine this is how Laker or Yankees fan feel.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Scott%20Hall.jpg

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
not sure if its been mentioned but there have been polls for most hated and most liked and the same player and teams show up on both; Boston is popular; and anyone with an IQ above 85 knows envy and hate are very close

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Being hated means you're good. Look at the Panthers - no one gives a flying ****. I'm so glad we're not the Panthers. I'll take being hated any day of the week.

Also -

This is such crap. More BS hype for us and our players to fall sucker to.....We won a grand total of 1 Stanley Cup in 42 years. We need to get over ourselves...

Especially the players.

What...? :huh: I genuinely do not understand.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Before we get all high and mighty, let's not forget how some Bruins fans have handled themselves on social media. You'd be foolish to think those displays of ignorance haven't played some part in these results.

wearing a teams hat/shirt and saying something completely disgusting on Twitter/Facebook doesn`t exactly constitute one a fan of the team.

Nor is that small number of jackwagons who did this in any way representative of how the fans of this team really feel IMO

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not sure if its been mentioned but there have been polls for most hated and most liked and the same player and teams show up on both; Boston is popular; and anyone with an IQ above 85 knows envy and hate are very close

so angry I scored an 84:laugh:

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
This* is basically what the website that had the poll is all about....

Z7MVO8o.jpg

*actually from the site this morning.

So they probably voted that way because Bruins fans are 'dog people'... That is the best explanation as of right now.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
anybody catch that Africa really hates....the Winnepeg Jets (?)

doesn't that tell you all you need to know about this poll?

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Why are people bashing the poll so much? It's an opinion poll. You don't need to survey experts or well-informed people to find out what the majority of people feel.

The only illegitimate thing was Africa, but that's because one user stuffed the box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad