MadJah

Feb 23, 2007
st-henri
Celebrities For Irony!
And... if you're interested:
Milan Lucic's Book Signing Event
Event Date: Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Time: 6:00 - 7:30 PM
Place: Scoreboard Sports Bar and Grill located adjacent to the Crowne Plaza Boston, 15 Middlesex Canal Park, Woburn, MA

Attachments

• no bully lucic.jpg
    no bully lucic.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Lucic would have been a poor role model for an anti-bullying cause whether he skated through the handshake line without incident or not. But I think there's a difference between being a role model for something and simply speaking out against something. Lucic gets paid good money to intimidate other people as part of his job, that doesn't mean he can't speak out against kids bullying each other in the school yard. There's not even remotely a comparison to be made between the two.

Well your "figuratively off-the-ice" is disputed by Lucic himself (who suggested Weise should have left it "on the ice"), and I don't particularly agree with it either. I think your description of what the handshake is supposed to be is a pretty idealistic one, but not particularly grounded in reality. I'm not condoning what Lucic said and I don't much care for it, but I don't hold the handshake line to be as sacred and inviolable as you seem to either.

Seriously, I don't think you have a clue about what bullying is at all. And then you keep tying yourself in knots to try and defend something that isn't defensible. :shakehead

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
As dumb as he was yesterday, he wasn't bullying Weise or Emelin. Bullying implies being in a position of power and picking on the weak. Weise and Emelin are two grown men. To me there's a big difference between NHL competitors and schoolyard bullies.

Lucic is doing a good thing for the kids by releasing that book.

Btw, which message is more powerful, Lucic telling the kids not to bully or a guy like Daniel Sedin telling kids not to bully? Answer is obvious.
Then you know nothing about psychology. Position of power means nothing in relation to being a bully. How is possible for a small woman to bully a man then? It happens. How does a worker bully another worker without being a manager?

I think some people on this thread don't know what bullying is and only view it as an older kid picking on a smaller or younger kid. That isn't it at all. Mental bullying is a lot more predominant than physical abuse as many women would attest to in their social peer groups.

Regardless, Lucic is a bully and was likely bullied as a youth given his demeanour as an adult.

Willis Jenks

Nov 19, 2013
Then you know nothing about psychology. Position of power means nothing in relation to being a bully. How is possible for a small woman to bully a man then? It happens. How does a worker bully another worker without being a manager?

I think some people on this thread don't know what bullying is and only view it as an older kid picking on a smaller or younger kid. That isn't it at all. Mental bullying is a lot more predominant than physical abuse as many women would attest to in their social peer groups.

Regardless, Lucic is a bully and was likely bullied as a youth given his demeanour as an adult.

How is this little women bullying the man? How does the worker bully the manager? They may not be in a physical position of power but in a position of power nonetheless for the bullying to work. You didn't really clarify how I'm wrong in saying you have to be in a position of power to bully someone.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
How is this little women bullying the man? How does the worker bully the manager? They may not be in a physical position of power but in a position of power nonetheless for the bullying to work. You didn't really clarify how I'm wrong in saying you have to be in a position of power to bully someone.

So you are sidestepping the issue that it isn't bullying? and bullying only happens when in a position of power. Worker to worker(not the manager) same peer level so no power over another. And a small woman can bully her husband or co worker without power. Maybe you should clarify by what you mean is power. If your bullying works it means you gain power over another, not the other way around. You don't need to start with power for bullying to work.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Lucic is yesterday's news. Time to move on. Hopefully he does not permanently injure someone down the road. He appears disturbed.

MadJah

Feb 23, 2007
st-henri
Lucic is yesterday's news. Time to move on. Hopefully he does not permanently injure someone down the road. He appears disturbed.

But, your argument is a double-negative. He appears disturbed; hopefully he does not injure someone. Lucic is yesterday's news - because we don't have to deal with this until next season? Court adjourned, folks.:sarcasm:

Shadyone33

Aug 14, 2007
Toronto
I literally laughed out loud when I read this and then when I told my wife what I was laughing at she laughed even louder than I did.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
In my work I see the word "bullying" and the french version "intimidation" used way too often, especially in schools. Kids are tired by all the "anti intimidation" education hours but they also learned to abuse it - "that group bullyied me - they refuse to play with me the way I want to" or "that skunk called me a ***** on facebook just because her boyfriend left her for me cause I'm prettier - she is cyberbullying me". My 8yrs girl was told by a classmate that if she does not give her a cartoon book she will complain to the teacher about being "bullied".

In essence bullying implies the use of violence to generate fear of being hurt and using this fear to gain an unfair advantage.

What Lucic and other Bruins did, all season(s) long, is pure "bullying", pretending it's "strong hockey play". Look at the strong physical play in the West and compare to what Boston is doing - not even close. Marchand punching Plek when the refs are not looking is the most recent case.

Some characteristic behaviors of bullies - they hunt in packs like hyenas (see the end of game 6) and stay away from lions (see the Laraque case, or Scott this year). They pick on the lone and the weaker kids.

They use verbal threats involving physical damage - like Lucic did yesterday. It's fear they want after all. They will also call kids
who "tell" the worst names, "baby" being one of those.

So what Lucic and the Bruins are doing is pure "bullying". Problem is it worked for a long while since the league closed their eyes for rating purposes. Like they did with Philly a while ago.

And these players are role models for a lot of kids. I had a boy in a session tell me how he loves the Bruins because they will physically beat up their opponents and that's what he wants to do too. He was full of praise for Lucic. If that happens in Montreal, imagine in Boston.

BTW - you are a sens fan with a history of posts hostile to the habs. It's your right to post here, just don't expect anyone to consider you "neutral" or "authentically unbiased"

If you are actually serious here, then hockey, I'm afraid, is not the sport for you.

So Dale Wiese and Emelin are the weaker kids? LOL, get a hold of yourself. People quoting the criminal code, death threats...such an entertaining read.

Any hockey fan can admire how the Habs beat the best team in the NHL.

From the beginning, intimidation has always been intrinsic in hockey because...it works. You might as well kick out half to three quarters of the HOF members. Mark Messier? gone. Gordie Howe? Gone. Scott Stevens? Gone. Larry Robinson? Out you go.

Should he have kept his mouth shut? Yes. But I also feel that Markov should have kept quiet too and won with dignity. Telling Lucic to "look me in the eye, man", as you can clearly hear on the video, was not appropriate either.

Metalcommand

Mar 3, 2010
Meh, I guess by bringing that up the goal is to brand him a hypocrite, but there's a pretty big difference between trash talking amongst adults in the context of a hockey game and little kids bullying each other in school. You can do the former and be opposed to the latter without being a hypocrite.

What else is there even left to be said?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Meh, I guess by bringing that up the goal is to brand him a hypocrite, but there's a pretty big difference between trash talking amongst adults in the context of a hockey game and little kids bullying each other in school. You can do the former and be opposed to the latter without being a hypocrite.

+1. My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad