Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins at New York Rangers 3/23/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Recent form is... discouraging...

But, now the further the Rangers go, the more wrong Yost is, and IMO, everyone wins then.

Well, he's only wrong insofar as people were wrong that the '11-'12 team managed to scrape out two rounds on the back on Lundqvist before getting completely outplayed by New Jersey. If the Rangers manage to get to the ECF/SCF because Lundqvist goes full hero, and/or the offense scores timely goals, I'm not sure that really makes him wrong. If someone has a 20% chance to win something and an 80% chance to lose, then they win, were the people who said the odds of winning aren't good, wrong?

Yost is whatever, I'm sure TSN has him trying to appeal to a certain crowd for hits and almost nothing else. This idea that when an outlier crops up the stats are "wrong" perpetuates the mentality that metrics aren't useful and the "see I told you so" crowd will be coming out of the woodwork to bash them because of it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well, he's only wrong insofar as people were wrong that the '11-'12 team managed to scrape out two rounds on the back on Lundqvist before getting completely outplayed by New Jersey. If the Rangers manage to get to the ECF/SCF because Lundqvist goes full hero, and/or the offense scores timely goals, I'm not sure that really makes him wrong. If someone has a 20% chance to win something and an 80% chance to lose, then they win, were the people who said the odds of winning aren't good, wrong?

Yost is whatever, I'm sure TSN has him trying to appeal to a certain crowd for hits and almost nothing else. This idea that when an outlier crops up the stats are "wrong" perpetuates the mentality that metrics aren't useful and the "see I told you so" crowd will be coming out of the woodwork to bash them because of it.

He can save himself a lot of 'I told you so' headaches if he conveys his knowledge better.

"That team is going places..." just screams, to me "look, I'm an *******!"

I am quite biased in this argument, though :laugh:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Agreed but lately he's just been horrible. His inability to treat the puck with calm and not turn it over is just so frustrating. We know he no longer has the foot speed but now it also seems like he just wants to get rid of puck as soon as he touches it. Usually winds up on opponents stick

Yup. Agree.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
He can save himself a lot of 'I told you so' headaches if he conveys his knowledge better.

"That team is going places..." just screams, to me "look, I'm an *******!"

I am quite biased in this argument, though :laugh:

I mean, yeah I agree if he wasn't making definitive statements like that he wouldn't have to deal with as much of a backlash, but in general really. Even if Yost wasn't running his mouth people would still be taking every opportunity to use outliers as a justification for why metrics are meaningless in hockey.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I mean, yeah I agree if he wasn't making definitive statements like that he wouldn't have to deal with as much of a backlash, but in general really. Even if Yost wasn't running his mouth people would still be taking every opportunity to use outliers as a justification for why metrics are meaningless in hockey.

Right. It's not what he's doing that gets to me, it's how he's doing it. Not the method, but the madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad