Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
3 turnovers on that shift none necessary

He's got to be leading the league in turnovers

BarbaraAlphanse

What were the lines like last night? Which ones played well?

Please re-sign Yandle and trade Staal.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Girardi is not going to be benched, so the man has got to get it together for the playoffs. It's cringeworthy every time he touches the puck. WTF is he even doing out there?

Other than him this was a nice game all around. You people are going to be happy Fast is getting Top-6 minutes come playoff time. This is the type of player you need out there in a postseason game. Everything changes when it's a 7 game series and the refs swallow their whistles. It becomes more about playing a simple game and avoiding mistakes. Why do you think Kreids becomes all world the moment the regular season ends? And it's 4 straight years he's done it.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Girardi is not going to be benched, so the man has got to get it together for the playoffs. It's cringeworthy every time he touches the puck. WTF is he even doing out there?

Other than him this was a nice game all around. You people are going to be happy Fast is getting Top-6 minutes come playoff time. This is the type of player you need out there in a postseason game. Everything changes when it's a 7 game series and the refs swallow their whistles. It becomes more about playing a simple game and avoiding mistakes. Why do you think Kreids becomes all world the moment the regular season ends? And it's 4 straight years he's done it.

Have you seen anything in the last 70 games that makes you think Girardi, at Staal, will improve their games once the playoffs come?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
If it wasn't such a poorly handled stat, it's possible he would be.

They are going to have to quantify that stat in a much better manner. As you well know the turnover machines, the Doughty's, Keith's, Karlsson's and Subban's of this world are always going to lead the league in # of turnovers. Girardi is only #49 in the NHL in amount of giveaways.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
They are going to have to quantify that stat in a much better manner. As you well know the turnover machines, the Doughty's, Keith's, Karlsson's and Subban's of this world are always going to lead the league in # of turnovers. Girardi is only #49 in the NHL in amount of giveaways.

Turnovers in hockey right now are similar to how errors work in baseball... but, I think it's even more open to scorer and arena bias than errors is.

The more you touch the puck, the more you'll turn it over. The more range you have on a baseball field, the more times you'll get to balls that others would've never got to. Then you'll make an error, because it's a play that 90% of the league wouldn't even be able to start.

I think touches, and passing success/fails would be a great stat... hard to keep though. Would have to watch every team every night and log it.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
The Rangers have been on the wrong side of that very type of review before, so I shed no tears for the Bruins or their fans.

It's almost like.... This happens to all teams! And if you asked most fanbases they'd probably tell you the refs and/or NBC crew hate them. There's a conspiracy against all the teams!!!

Its just confirmation bias from remembering all the time calls have gone against us and not all the neutral games or games that were reffed in our favor.

Not directed at you, just my general thoughts on this.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
This was a fine game last night. Hopefully the empty net goal gets Nash going.

Although the team has no prayer of winning the cup, if Nash and Staal can get going and start firing on all cylinders going into the playoffs, the team can do some damage.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
A bit unrelated, but I came across this corsi stat for the NHL season thus far:

https://twitter.com/datarink/status/712989936320921600

Rangers are having themselves a solid season

Corsi tries to show puck possession by using shots on goal so the Rangers are probably the worst team to apply that stat to. The Rangers are a decent possession team but more than any other team they try to be cute with the passes and often don't get the shot off. So Corsi is very misleading for us

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Corsi tries to show puck possession by using shots on goal so the Rangers are probably the worst team to apply that stat to. The Rangers are a decent possession team but more than any other team they try to be cute with the passes and often don't get the shot off. So Corsi is very misleading for us

No it isn't.

Even if the Rangers "pass up shots a lot", which frankly, I'm not convinced they do more than the average team; it would show in their ability to suppress shots. Which they're even worse at.

And mostly the same team was one of the best shooting teams in the NHL in 2014.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
We got lucky...there was white ice showing between puck and goal line IMO after slowing down replay and watching . Bruins had a couple of cheesy calls on them . Refs have to call the DM on Chara for high stick . Bruins deserved the rest....Old man boyle took a penalty at a bad time....was pretty nervous on that one . Boyle was draped all over him .
Will McIlrath ever be spotted in again before playoffs ? Surely they will insert him against the Habs since back to back to rest Boyle or Girardi ? Would love a win in Quebec and then a win over flightless birds on Sunday . Can't wait....my first game at MSG on Sunday ! :popcorn:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Didnt AV talk about how he isnt using Staal correctly? So why does he put him in between those 2 useless individuals?

Because he's trying to still find line combos that work with Staal. He told Pierre that last night when he was interviewed during the game.

I guess he thought Staal could get Kreider/Hayes going. Looks like it didn't work, so I guess AV will give them another shot, or will try some other line combo.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Because he's trying to still find line combos that work with Staal. He told Pierre that last night when he was interviewed during the game.

I guess he thought Staal could get Kreider/Hayes going. Looks like it didn't work, so I guess AV will give them another shot, or will try some other line combo.

He needs to try him on the wing. He's married to the idea of Staal being a center, give him a shot on the wing and see how he does. Only 8 games left, better try it sooner rather than later.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Neither do I. Some posters just need to realize that the referees aren't out to get us, they're just incompetent and inconsistent. sometimes its in our favor, and other times its not. It all evens out eventually.

The criticizing of officials should be done on a case by case or at most a game by game basis. There is no conspiracy against any team regardless of how convenient of an excuse it may be.

http://scoutingtherefs.com/2016/03/12412/university-study-claims-referee-ethnicity-bias/

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Miller-Stepan-Zuccarello looked good.

Nash=Brass need a different winger than Fast

Kreider-Staal-Hayes were basically invisible, Kreider moves his feet less than Girardi.

4th line was good again.

Top 6 should be any of the following players:

Stepan
Brassard
Zuccarello
Miller
Nash
Staal

Preferably, I'd like to see:

Miller-Brassard-Nash
Staal-Stepan-Zuccarello

I'd rather Staal and Nash on different lines. Spread the wealth. Now of course, the issue is that AV insists on having a RH shot in the top 6. That's really hurting the line balance.

I don't care how the lines shake out, those guys should be seeing top 6 time. They have the skill, and more often than not, the consistency.

3rd line should be:

Kreider-Hayes-Fast/Lindberg

4th line should be:

Stalberg-Moore-Fast/Lindberg/Glass

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He needs to try him on the wing. He's married to the idea of Staal being a center, give him a shot on the wing and see how he does. Only 8 games left, better try it sooner rather than later.

I believe Pierre asked him something about having Staal at wing vs center, and AV just said (paraphrasing) "Hey man, we think he's strongest at center, but he can be a good winger too. Whatever, man."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad