Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins at New York Rangers 11/8/2017: From Russia With Goals

3 Stars

• Chris Kreider

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rick Nash

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Kevin Hayes

• JT Miller

• Mats Zuccarello

• Michael Grabner

• Jesper Fast

• Pavel Buchnevich

Votes: 66 90.4%
  • Mika Zibanejad

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Chris Kreider

• David Desharnais

• Jimmy Vesey

Votes: 57 78.1%
  • Paul Carey

• Ryan McDonagh

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Nick Holden

• Kevin Shattenkirk

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Marc Staal

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Steven Kampfer

• Brady Skjei

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Henrik Lundqvist

Votes: 57 78.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So what? Is he suddenly an old man? Or is he forbidden to learn any more at the age of 24?

Look- I agree with you, but the evidence points largely in favor of players performing their best at right about the age he is now.

I think Vesey needs to improve defensively if he wants to stay in the NHL. That absolutely can be learned. I don't think he will ever turn into a good PP performer or a 50 point guy. He can make his living as a mobile bottom 6 player with some skill, like Dom Moore, if he figures it all out.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Jimmy Vesey is a free 24 year old nhl bottom 6 player who will get you around 15 to 18 goals goals and finish his checks. The kid needs to continue to get better defensively and which he has since coming in and he needs to get better at setting up his teammates But if that’s all he ever is then it’s still a great signing. Might as well have drafted him ourselves basically. He’s the least of my concerns.

Goaltending and Desharnais in the middle worry me.

I’m not worried about smith he’ll be fine. I’m not worried abou scoring goals.

I’m thrilled with Shattenkirk and what I’m getting from Marc Staal

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Shattenkirk has been FIRE, Zibanejad is FIRE, Buchnevich is a beauty. Miller is playing a very complete game these days. Love what he's become. Staal looks like Staal of 3 years ago. I haven't seem him make one massive gaffe all year.

Hayes needs to shoot more. He could have had a goal in the 2nd and instead he passed the puck, dumb play.
McDonagh looks like trash--he HAS to be hurt. If he's not, then we have a big problem on our hands here.
Kampfer sucks, please take him out
Holden sucks even more, please take him out.
Carey is worthless, he's basically tanner glass here. I'm not seeing anything out of him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Nash needs to go to the 3rd line, I don't want him anywhere near zucc. Guy is a great threat on the ice, but that's about it. His shot has gotten even worse, he can't score to save his life, he sucks at distributing the puck.

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Zucc-Miller-Vesey
Grabner-Hayes-Nash
Deharnais-Nieves-Fast

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Shattenkirk has been FIRE, Zibanejad is FIRE, Buchnevich is a beauty. Miller is playing a very complete game these days. Love what he's become. Staal looks like Staal of 3 years ago. I haven't seem him make one massive gaffe all year.

Hayes needs to shoot more. He could have had a goal in the 2nd and instead he passed the puck, dumb play.
McDonagh looks like trash--he HAS to be hurt. If he's not, then we have a big problem on our hands here.
Kampfer sucks, please take him out
Holden sucks even more, please take him out.
Carey is worthless, he's basically tanner glass here. I'm not seeing anything out of him.

McD hit his peak the year we went to the Cup finals. He hasn't been as good since then. I thought he'd only get better or be consistently as good as he was then. I think his average/below average play coincides with his getting the captain's C. Just my two cents. I sure hope he gets back up to form soon.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
McD hit his peak the year we went to the Cup finals. He hasn't been as good since then. I thought he'd only get better or be consistently as good as he was then. I think his average/below average play coincides with his getting the captain's C. Just my two cents. I sure hope he gets back up to form soon.

McDonagh tries to do too much sometimes. He had that breakout run in the finals etc and then started next year trying to do everything and be more of an offensive minded player than he is. He continues to have struggles finding the right balance for his game, seems like he goes through it every year. He's doing better at it now though and the hate he gets on here from people because he's not perfect is insane. He's the only defenseman on the team I can expect to go into a battle for the puck, take it away, make a move or three and get the puck to a teammate for a breakout. He gets zero credit for his ability to make those very difficult plays that no one, NO ONE, else on the team can make on any kind of consistent basis. People hate on him because he doesn't have an offensive defenseman's skill set but he pushes the puck up the ice and tries to make things happen and he STILL produces a good number of points. He's one of the better 1 on 1 defenders around. No credit for any of that. People just want to complain when he gets caught deep or something and not for the large number of things he does very well game in and game out.

I will concede he is mediocre in front of his own net, much like all Rangers defensemen. For some reason the coaches have never taught these guys to tie up sticks in front, who knows why.

At any rate, people keep expecting him to be perfect and when he's not they call him trash. It's despicable and when he's gone people are going to miss having a #1 D. Skjei isn't close to what McDonagh brings, not yet anyways.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
McDonagh tries to do too much sometimes. He had that breakout run in the finals etc and then started next year trying to do everything and be more of an offensive minded player than he is. He continues to have struggles finding the right balance for his game, seems like he goes through it every year. He's doing better at it now though and the hate he gets on here from people because he's not perfect is insane. He's the only defenseman on the team I can expect to go into a battle for the puck, take it away, make a move or three and get the puck to a teammate for a breakout. He gets zero credit for his ability to make those very difficult plays that no one, NO ONE, else on the team can make on any kind of consistent basis. People hate on him because he doesn't have an offensive defenseman's skill set but he pushes the puck up the ice and tries to make things happen and he STILL produces a good number of points. He's one of the better 1 on 1 defenders around. No credit for any of that. People just want to complain when he gets caught deep or something and not for the large number of things he does very well game in and game out.

I will concede he is mediocre in front of his own net, much like all Rangers defensemen. For some reason the coaches have never taught these guys to tie up sticks in front, who knows why.

At any rate, people keep expecting him to be perfect and when he's not they call him trash. It's despicable and when he's gone people are going to miss having a #1 D. Skjei isn't close to what McDonagh brings, not yet anyways.
I would never call him trash but he doesn't play as well as he's capable a lot of the time. It's like he puts pressure on himself a lot of the time. You're right. Well said!

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Nash needs to go to the 3rd line, I don't want him anywhere near zucc. Guy is a great threat on the ice, but that's about it. His shot has gotten even worse, he can't score to save his life, he sucks at distributing the puck.

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Zucc-Miller-Vesey
Grabner-Hayes-Nash
Deharnais-Nieves-Fast

Let me get this straight, you call Nash a black hole offensively and then suggest bumping Vesey up into his spot? Interesting logic.

Moving Miller to C is something a few of us on here have said, but keep the Zucc Nash combo together and put Miller between them. I’m a Vesey fan, but he belongs in the bottom 6 for now. Zucc/Nash just can never play with Hayes. Put Grabner and Fast with them. Call up Lettieri and play Boo and Vesey with him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I would never call him trash but he doesn't play as well as he's capable a lot of the time. It's like he puts pressure on himself a lot of the time. You're right. Well said!

I agree that he could be better. As I said it feels like every year he struggles to find a balance in his play but usually settles down eventually. When he's playing smart and not pushing things too hard he's at his best, but I think he feels both the need to lead by pushing things, or that he knows when everything goes his way he CAN play like that, and so keeps trying to make it happen.

I'd probably prefer he starts the season a little more conservatively and works up his aggressive play as things settle down, but oh well.

Again I think people focus far too much on this mistakes he makes and not on all the good things he does. It's fine to offer some criticism but calling him trash or saying he's terrible is just a waste of bandwidth.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looking at the standings this morning. Currently in a WC spot, and only 2 points from the top of the Metro. Just another reason why how good or bad you play in Oct means crap. Rangers have put themselves back in the standings but still a lot of work that needs to be done. But liking what I am seeing so far.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think the Rangers have played a couple games more than a lot of teams so technically they're not in as good a spot as it looks at the moment, but it's early enough that it doesn't matter too much as long as you're in the thick of things

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Looking at the standings this morning. Currently in a WC spot, and only 2 points from the top of the Metro. Just another reason why how good or bad you play in Oct means crap. Rangers have put themselves back in the standings but still a lot of work that needs to be done. But liking what I am seeing so far.
it only means crap because our division has been crap. what were the standings at this point last season?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I said it earlier we have been very lucky with how mediocre the metro has been to stsrt the year or we’d have been out of it already. If this were last year forget it.

We’ve put ourselves back in the fight but we’ve got to play really good hockey the rest of the way to make it in. Lot of teams still ahead of us in win percentage

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A suggestion for AV swap Vesey & Zucc next game - promote him since he scored 2 goals.

Nash - Hayes - Vesey
Miller (David) - David D. (Miller) - Zucc

Zucc is struggling playing on a shutdown line vs other team top lines all the time - get him on the third line. Miller have similar hockey IQ as D. Brassard - so we can at least have two good productive lines.
And Hopefully Graber - Nieves - Fast can start producing again too - very positive about that.
Besides Zucc have -8 so far - that means he struggle more than usual with defensive tasks, and Lindy Ruff might be the reason for that new and different system/tasks compare to last year.

And use Miller in offesnive zone face offs - win the puck and start plays instantly is a win win for both David & Zucc.

That'll make our offense much worse. Demote Zucc and promote Miller. Vesey has been really bad this season.

Reactions: Siddi

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

It most certainly doesn't mean crap when teams are either making or missing the playoffs by 1-3 point/s. Of course we all want the Rangers to secure a spot as soon as possible, but that can't always be the case. We've been privy to a front-row seat to missing the playoffs on the last game of the season in a shootout. How a couple of extra points in October could have made the difference then, and could make a difference this season, and could make a difference in the future. How these guys play always means something as far as the standings.

Reactions: will1066

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Lundqvist's rebound control was RIDICULOUS tonight. He was LOCKED in. Poor and weak angle shots were eaten up never to see daylight again. Usually he seems to focus on only making the save and worries about the rebound after but tonight he was so locked in positionally and square to the shooter before the release that he had no problems with those B level shots. And even on the A- level shots he was kicking and deflecting the puck to safer areas for the most part, it was so refreshing to see. Hank was never really known for his rebound control but tonight was really one of the best I've seen in regards to that in a very very long time. Kudos, hope there's more to come.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Are you validating Milbury? lol

One minute, he was criticizing him for being sh*t and next minute, he remarked that he was on top of his game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
A suggestion for AV swap Vesey & Zucc next game - promote him since he scored 2 goals.

People complain all the time about players being demoted after 1 bad game. Promoting a player after 1 good game is just as horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad