Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins at New York Rangers 11/8/2017: From Russia With Goals

3 Stars

• Chris Kreider

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rick Nash

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Kevin Hayes

• JT Miller

• Mats Zuccarello

• Michael Grabner

• Jesper Fast

• Pavel Buchnevich

Votes: 66 90.4%
  • Mika Zibanejad

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Chris Kreider

• David Desharnais

• Jimmy Vesey

Votes: 57 78.1%
  • Paul Carey

• Ryan McDonagh

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Nick Holden

• Kevin Shattenkirk

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Marc Staal

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Steven Kampfer

• Brady Skjei

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Henrik Lundqvist

Votes: 57 78.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
People complain all the time about players being demoted after 1 bad game. Promoting a player after 1 good game is just as horrible.

Eh, not necessarily. Sometimes after a player has a big game his confidence can be riding sky high and he might continue that so it not really the worst idea to "reward" a player for having a good game and give him more ice time or better linemates. On the other end, if a player has a bad game he shouldn't immediately be demoted because that could make things worse for him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Eh, not necessarily. Sometimes after a player has a big game his confidence can be riding sky high and he might continue that so it not really the worst idea to "reward" a player for having a good game and give him more ice time or better linemates. On the other end, if a player has a bad game he shouldn't immediately be demoted because that could make things worse for him.

See, that's the thing. I feel you can't really have it both ways.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
it only means crap because our division has been crap. what were the standings at this point last season?

Last year on this day

Untitled.png

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Wasn't last year one of the few times in recent years the Rangers actually had a hot start? I seem to remember they were scoring goals like mad despite some eh goaltending and their PDO was sky high

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Wasn't last year one of the few times in recent years the Rangers actually had a hot start? I seem to remember they were scoring goals like mad despite some eh goaltending and their PDO was sky high
Correct. They were scoring at a hugely inflated rate and were bound to regress.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Vesey has shown up for games against Boston clutch two years in a row. He's been okay this season. Hasn't been producing too much. I think there's something there. It's not that he's doing things wrong but just not doing them right, yet.

He considers himself a scorer as per that post game interview. I think he needs to find his way to around the net like the last game cus his skill isn't good enough at the NHL level for him to score 20 doing what Buchnevich does for example.

This might be an important year for him to figure out what works best for him.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I honestly would not mind Smith and McD rounding top4 and keeping 76/22 as its more offensive component.
Despite what mostly everyone thought that it would be McD/Shatty, I am proud to say that I......more than once said that it would " eventually become" the "SkejiShatt redemption". Anyone remember ? Gonna have to find it, lol.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Vesey has shown up for games against Boston clutch two years in a row. He's been okay this season. Hasn't been producing too much. I think there's something there. It's not that he's doing things wrong but just not doing them right, yet.

He considers himself a scorer as per that post game interview. I think he needs to find his way to around the net like the last game cus his skill isn't good enough at the NHL level for him to score 20 doing what Buchnevich does for example.

This might be an important year for him to figure out what works best for him.

Vesey is a guy with no part of his game that really stands out, so he needs to get by on his work ethic. Every now and again we see it, but he gets into ruts where he kinda just coasts. He is not talented enough to just coast. I'm worried that its a by product of spending too much time with Hayes, who is more physically gifted, and more offensively creative than Vesey. Not a good example to follow. Though he could also use a reality check, Hayes physical stature affords him a much larger margin of error.

Fast is also a guy with nothing special about him. He however works like a demon and is always in the right place. THATs who Vesey should be modeling his game after.

I'm not ready to give up on Vesey either. When he plays with confidence, it shows. After his two goals he was all over the ice stealing pucks and making plays. He just needs to learn to internally manufacture that kind of confidence more consistently. Not only after he gets a few lucky tap in goals.

There are plenty of players that have had very successful NHL careers whose abilities are nothing special. Hopefully Vesey can find out how to be one of these players.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Looking at the standings this morning. Currently in a WC spot, and only 2 points from the top of the Metro. Just another reason why how good or bad you play in Oct means crap. Rangers have put themselves back in the standings but still a lot of work that needs to be done. But liking what I am seeing so far.

I think it’s more that any single month of the season doesn’t mean much in the long run. The team could have a crappy January and as long as they play well in the other months, it doesn’t have an outsized impact. It’s when you have three months, scattered or not, of bad play that you really run into issues with making the playoffs.

What makes October feel worse is that there’s no other context to the season. If you play well in October and November, a bad December worries you but doesn’t necessarily freak you out.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Don't cut Fast short, it's not just his work ethics and his positioning, it's his hockey IQ. He's a very smart and imaginative player. What bottom six player in the league would even think of making a flip pass over a defenseman for his teammate?

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Don't cut Fast short, it's not just his work ethics and his positioning, it's his hockey IQ. He's a very smart and imaginative player. What bottom six player in the league would even think of making a flip pass over a defenseman for his teammate?

it wasn't meant as a slight to Fast

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it’s more that any single month of the season doesn’t mean much in the long run. The team could have a crappy January and as long as they play well in the other months, it doesn’t have an outsized impact. It’s when you have three months, scattered or not, of bad play that you really run into issues with making the playoffs.

What makes October feel worse is that there’s no other context to the season. If you play well in October and November, a bad December worries you but doesn’t necessarily freak you out.

Obviously you don't want to leave points on the table, so those points are important in Oct, but when a team has a crappy Oct, it does not mean they can't easily turn things around which they have in some degree. Rangers still have a lot of work to do. I also think teams like Tampa, St. Louis, and L.A. are peaking too soon. If they continue this by Feb/March, I will be shocked. I like to see the Rangers just play some decent hockey, keep in position in the standings and then start trying to build from there and go on a tear March into April. I still think on paper this team is very good, but they have not shown it all yet, well it has been there in flashes but there is so much potential. A winning streak like this kinda erases a bad October but it does not mean they can sit back now or that winning streak will sadly be erased as well.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hi guys new member here greetings from ireland i didnt know which thread to introduce myself in but here goes,I have been following rangers hockey for three seasons now and am a huge fan ,love reading what you guys have to say .go rangers!!

Welcome!

What prompted you to start following hockey? NY Rangers?

Reactions: irishranger99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My point was that he is older than people think and should be playing better. Miller and Zibanejad have continually gotten better year in and year out. I expect the same from Vesey and this year hes trending down.
Miller has gotten sent back to Hartford for his poor play, prior to last year. And coming into this year, questions about Zibenajad's consistency and desire were plentiful. Given that the season is barely over 15 games long, isn't it a tad early to decide if a second year player is only trending downward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad