Dreger: Boston and Edmonton amongst teams interested in OEL

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
OEL for Russell, Samorukov and the 2021 1st is probably the most I would be willing to give up without retention. That is a massive contract to take on.

Having said, I totally get it if that's not enough for Arizona. Maybe fans can start a go fund me for 66 million.

Mar 20, 2010
Not arguing with anyone's personal assessment of OEL but think a move is likely because acquiring him is a low-risk, potential high-reward move from a GM's point of view. The 'low-risk' is because the case can easily be made that such a player wouldn't be available at all if it weren't for Arizona's special circumstances. Most seem to agree that ARI will probably get the raw end of any deal, at least initially, as they have financial constraints and OEL has a NMC. Thus, it would be a rare opportunity worth going for (or at least appearing to have tried), even if it turns out poorly.

But even if OEL's actual play doesn't improve, his stats are likely to get a boost just from being involved with PP units in EDM/BOS that are way more productive than in ARI, not to mention likely better 5v5 results with more talented top lines. As many have pointed out, the contract will probably be an issue down the road, but it seems EDM/BOS have pressing needs now.

For Sweeney, if Krug leaves, how likely is it that an internal solution/replacement wouldn't lead to noticeable issues on the ice?
For Holland, it's well-known that a PMD is one of the biggest needs (even when there was a healthy Klefbom)... how sure can he be that Bear/Bouchard will be able to step into that role quickly enough?

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
OEL for Russell, Samorukov and the 2021 1st is probably the most I would be willing to give up without retention. That is a massive contract to take on.

Having said, I totally get it if that's not enough for Arizona. Maybe fans can start a go fund me for 66 million.

It has to be Neal going back to Arizona to make it work cap wise. Russell would have to go in a separate deal as well.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
OEL is 29, have a full no NTC and want to win, do you really think is gonna to accept to join the poor Oilers? Second, he's contact is terrible, OEL is gonna be hard to move for those reasons...

Oilers were 2nd in the Pacific, 5th in the west last year.

Tippett was OELs coach in Arizona. I think the current belief is OEL will waive for Edmonton.

As a Boston fan, you're a little salty, hey? Closing window getting a little tight for ya? :D

Ledge And Dairy

Nope. Nonstarter for those two. OEL is a legit #1 but his contract negates landing either of Edmonton's two most coveted prospects.
Two most? Broberg I get but Bouchard is definitely way above Jones. I think Jones is fine, hes also not expansion exempt so you might just loose him to Seattle the next year for nothing. At least here you can upgrade your LD for him

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Personal opinion says that OEL eating 23 minutes a night and pushing Nurse/Klefbom down the depth chart is what pays the most dividends to Edmonton.
It's just weird that considering "he's not a top defenseman" , "he's soft and one-dimensional" , "he's not worth a contract" his name keeps popping up and people are pencilling him into the top pairing.
He's a top pairing guy, and there isn't another one available for less than 8M AAV. That's the answer to the only questions I'd care about if I was Holland. The rest is just making money work (which is the hard part). There isn't a pick or nonroster player I would consider untouchable in that scenario if I was Holland. It'd affect the rest of the package value, but I don't see why I'd pass up a move for a legitimate top pairing guy who the coach already loves and vice versa.
I agree mostly but I think Broberg is untouchable to Holland. Maybe Bouchard as well because he plays the right side. Honestly though, Samukorov isn't that far behind those guys though. He's expendable because we have Broberg nearly ready.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020

Yikes, there goes any prospective leverage the Coyotes would've had. Full NMC + requirement to take back $0 (or so it sounds) + big contract = awful return.

Boston doesn't even have their 1st this year, so Arizona is looking at a 2021 pick and a B prospect like Vaakanainen or Zboril at absolute best. Brutal.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Yikes, there goes any prospective leverage the Coyotes would've had. Full NMC + requirement to take back $0 (or so it sounds) + big contract = awful return.

Boston doesn't even have their 1st this year, so Arizona is looking at a 2021 pick and a B prospect like Vaakanainen or Zboril at absolute best. Brutal.
This is about as cheap as a top pairing defender gets, surprised no one has made the move. Contract is tough to fit In obviously but OEL should improve any team he's on greatly.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
''Dreger on TSN says the Coyotes want a young d-man and a 1st RD pick for Ekman-Larsson.''
So everyone know that Meruelo's businesses are bleeding and that the Coyotes are going younger, but most of all cheaper. And he asks a team to pay a 1st round pick and a defensive prospect to take OEK's contract of their books?

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I don't see Boston in on OEL.

1. OEL's cap hit vs. current Bruins
2. ARI doesn't want to retain salary
3. BOS doesn't have a 1st this off-season
4. BOS has other pressing needs

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
So everyone know that Meruelo's businesses are bleeding and that the Coyotes are going younger, but most of all cheaper. And he asks a team to pay a 1st round pick and a defensive prospect to take OEK's contract of their books?
He's not a cap dump, he's a top pairing defender. A 1st + prospect is a favorable deal to whoever gets him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't see Boston in on OEL.

1. OEL's cap hit vs. current Bruins
2. ARI doesn't want to retain salary
3. BOS doesn't have a 1st this off-season
4. BOS has other pressing needs

OEL to Krug is an upgrade because OEL can actually take dzone faceoffs against tough competition

The Coyotes prefer 2021 picks because Bill Armstrong has to sit out this draft

Boston can easily move some pieces around to accommodate OEL without retention. The Coyotes can take guys like Moore and Ritchie if necessary.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

I think GMBA might prefer a 2021 pick because he can't be part of the selection this year. Also I think it's less that we won't take cap back and more we don't want the cap that Edmonton wants to rid themselves of. Can't say I blame them as we already have some guys that have not played up to their cap hits and we seem to want to build on this year. GMBA seems most interested in changing culture in the lockerroom and building out the Ops dept.

Reactions: _Del_

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad