Proposal: Bos-Edm

Jokerz89

Dec 24, 2017
Massachusetts
Sorry if this comes off as ludicrous but I was wondering if maybe something along the lines of Krug, Backes, Lauzon, Senyshyn, and a 1st for Nugent-Hopkins and Klefbom. I threw in Backes to try to make the money work and add some veteran presence/ physicality to the Oilers. Maybe swap Lauzon for Zboril and Bjork and a 2nd instead of Senyshyn and a 1st. Please try not to be too harsh, thanks.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Doesn’t make a ton of sense. Bruins give up value, but the Oilers strength is LHD and getting Zboril and Krug only amplifies that.

Backes has a rough contract and the Oilers can’t afford him at all.

And they give up 1 of thier 3 good forwards.

Polite no from Edmonton

Reactions: Dan Kelly and 780il

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Oilers not the right team for Backes. He has value to a non cap team because it was so front loaded, but EDM needs cap space.

RNH is gonna be highly valued by EDM fans because he looked good with McJesus. Klefbom hard to value. Mostly mediocre but one great year playing a lot with McJesus, but doing well on his own, too. Also Klefbom’s in zone D coverage isn’t great.

I really think he EDM BOS ship sailed once Bouchard dropped to 10. Krug + one of the young forwards for Klefbom + 10 could have worked. Unless of course Nurse becomes a problem to sign to the bridge EDM can afford. Could see Boston getting very aggressive if that plays out.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
RNH And Nurse

for

Krug, McQuaid, Heinen and JFK

Pretty fair deal since Krug is the best player in the deal.

That’s not enough going to the Oilers. They are so so so short of wingers and cap space. Bruins have a lot of cheap NHL ready and sophomore wingers. So there could be something, just not this.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Sorry if this comes off as ludicrous but I was wondering if maybe something along the lines of Krug, Backes, Lauzon, Senyshyn, and a 1st for Nugent-Hopkins and Klefbom. I threw in Backes to try to make the money work and add some veteran presence/ physicality to the Oilers. Maybe swap Lauzon for Zboril and Bjork and a 2nd instead of Senyshyn and a 1st. Please try not to be too harsh, thanks.
Polite no thanks. We have no need for Backes, we are trying to move away from the big strong heavy types. Krug for Klefbom is something I'd look at but after hearing some Oilers fans opinions I think it's best if we keep him and that steal of a contract to see if he can bounce back to a borderline 1d like he was in the playoffs when healthy. Lauzon, Senyshen, a 1st are decent pieces but we would be aiming for younger roster players if Nuge is traded (Debrusk, Heinen, Donato). I thith we should just keep Nuge and let him play with Mcdavid a full season and should wait at least until the deadline to see if Klef can bounce back. There might be a deal to be made between our teams, but I don't think this one does enough for us.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
RNH And Nurse

for

Krug, McQuaid, Heinen and JFK

Pretty fair deal since Krug is the best player in the deal.

Holy shit buddy (laugh) that is not good.

Guys, Edmonton is in absolutely no position to be dealing productive NHLers like RNH and young defencemen like Nurse for futures and cap dumps like Backes.

Lucic and Backes is just way too much ‘gritty’ uselessness for one team.

Krug is a good defenceman but the +on Klefbom is not RNH and taking a bunch of B futures back . Our prospect pool is quietly becoming pretty good, we don’t need to crucify the likes of Nuge and Klefbom to slightly improve it.

You want to make your team better - I get it. We do too, and not ‘maybe possibly three years from now’ either.

I’ve followed Lauzon for years. I honestly do not believe there is an NHL defenceman there. I feel similarly about Senyshyn in the sense I think he tops out as a 3rd liner.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Nice way to slip Backes to another team--I think most oiler fans stopped reading there

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Zero interest from this Oil fan. For better or worse, our lineup is pretty much set for this year, short of re-signing Nurse and nabbing a 14th forward. Some aren't optimistic based on where we finished last year, but a lot of things went wrong - particularly on D, in goal and coaching. All of these question marks have been remedied to some degree (Klefbom + Sekera healthy, Larsson's off-ice grief; 2 goalies playing for their next contract/more rest for Talbot; new assistant coaching staff).

At this point, the Oil stand pat and look for an upgrade mid-season if they are in a playoff position. That upgrade likely comes in the form of a rental.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Holy **** buddy (laugh) that is not good.

Guys, Edmonton is in absolutely no position to be dealing productive NHLers like RNH and young defencemen like Nurse for futures and cap dumps like Backes.

Lucic and Backes is just way too much ‘gritty’ uselessness for one team.

Krug is a good defenceman but the +on Klefbom is not RNH and taking a bunch of B futures back . Our prospect pool is quietly becoming pretty good, we don’t need to crucify the likes of Nuge and Klefbom to slightly improve it.

You want to make your team better - I get it. We do too, and not ‘maybe possibly three years from now’ either.

I’ve followed Lauzon for years. I honestly do not believe there is an NHL defenceman there. I feel similarly about Senyshyn in the sense I think he tops out as a 3rd liner.

I have no argument with you not wanting to do this deal, but I think Lauzon looked great in training camp last season. He played good d, was physical, and he made plays in the offensive zone and to get the puck out of the D zone. He got hurt and that pushed a couple of players above him. As far as what I saw, I think he could be a good middle pairing guy. Senyshyn is being asked to put effort into his defensive game right now the same way DeBrusk was asked to do that the year before last. Maybe he’s a3rd liner but with that speed and shot I think he could be a good 2nd liner. So no arguments just a differing opinion.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Can you imagine having to suffer through Lucic and Backes on the same team if not the same line? They’d be so slow collectively they’d form a time loop.

Dormammu, I’ve come to bargain.

SOLD!

chiarellishrug-e1525995929998.jpg

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

krug for klefbom and debrusk for Hopkins might be 2 exchanges the oilers can live with... but im not sure its good for boston.

I seriously doubt Edmonton wants to take 3 assets that may never contribute and certainly wouldn't for the next couple yeears.

believe it or not oilers are on the clock... they need to win quick or risk ruining the good will they have with the fans. the ownership is trying to convince the city to allow him to manage a multi billion dollar tax supported land deal.

this is much bigger than just a hockey team...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Nice way to slip Backes to another team--I think most oiler fans stopped reading there

oilers cap hell makes backes a no go... and he almost certainly has them on his no trade list

but saying we would have a hard time trading backes probably just indicates you don't know his contract status. this year his ntc makes it very unlikely

next year will be when he goes and it will be to a team that doesn't worry about the cap ceiling

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
oilers cap hell makes backes a no go... and he almost certainly has them on his no trade list

but saying we would have a hard time trading backes probably just indicates you don't know his contract status. this year his ntc makes it very unlikely

next year will be when he goes and it will be to a team that doesn't worry about the cap ceiling

the problem is his cap

33pts for a cap hit if 6 mill

his physical pay will be 4 mill for the final two years of his contract--but the cap hit is six and only a team like Arizona likes to take on cap hits

teams trying to win not so much

his wheels have fallen off

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I don't think these are good trading partners regardless of the drama with PC.

Anything involving DeBrusk from Boston's pov is off the table. One of the few who showed up in the playoffs and had a solid rookie season. Not to mention he seems to be a good fit for Krej which is something that's been missing since Looch/Iggy/Horton left the team. JD with McJesus would be scary.

As for the original proposal, I'm not sold on Kelf but haven't watched much of his game. I think Krug overall will be the better player in the end. I think Nuge only works if we ship Krej somewhere. I think Nurse has a bigger ceiling but would require DeBrusk in return so that bring us back to square one. Until we see what we have in Seny, Zbroil and Bjork I don't want to use them in a trade when we could use all of them in the next year or two to fill holes on the roster instead of making a big trade(s).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
the problem is his cap

his physical pay will be 4 mill for the final two years of his contract--but the cap hit is six and only a team like Arizona likes to take on cap hits

Bruins can pay his July 1st bonus and make it 2.5 on average per year, and you overstate how done he is... he played at a 45 point pace while providing physicality, just missed time with the intestinal infection. However, OBVIOUSLY not worth the cap hit. A non cap team would love him at 2.5 AAV. Oilers are not that team.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
the problem is his cap

after his 3 mill bonus on july 1 the new team owes him 4 million dollars for 2 years

that averages to 2 mill a season...

a good 3rd liner will be signed for 3 million dollars in todays world. backes is an elite defensive player and an elite leader... who also pitches in a 40 point season if he stays healthy

any team that isn't up against the cap will be happy to get someone like him if they don't already have one. ryan reeves who is not remotely the same player just signed. tom Wilson will sign. most teams value having a big physical presence on the 3rd line and very few play as well as backes.

the ONLY drawback is the cap but its ONLY a drawback to teams that are up against the ceiling

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
after his 3 mill bonus on july 1 the new team owes him 4 million dollars for 2 years

that averages to 2 mill a season...

a good 3rd liner will be signed for 3 million dollars in todays world. backes is an elite defensive player and an elite leader... who also pitches in a 40 point season if he stays healthy

any team that isn't up against the cap will be happy to get someone like him if they don't already have one. ryan reeves who is not remotely the same player just signed. tom Wilson will sign. most teams value having a big physical presence on the 3rd line and very few play as well as backes.

the ONLY drawback is the cap but its ONLY a drawback to teams that are up against the ceiling

you are either not caring or refuse to accept that 99% of the teams in win now mode wont be able to take a 6 mill cap hit

also

SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
q2.svg
AAV
q2.svg
P. BONUSES
q2.svg
S. BONUSES
q2.svg
BASE SALARY
q2.svg
TOTAL SALARY
q2.svg
MINORS SALARY
q2.svg
2016-17NMC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$5,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000
2017-18NMC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$5,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000
2018-19NMC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$3,000,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
2019-20Modified NTC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$1,000,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
2020-21Modified NTC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$1,000,000$3,000,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

base sal in 19/20 is 1 mill
20/21 it is 3 mill with 1 mill signing bonus--that makes 5 mill to pay not 3

the cap hit is the problem

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
you are either not caring or refuse to accept that 99% of the teams in win now mode wont be able to take a 6 mill cap hit

also

SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
q2.svg
AAV
q2.svg
P. BONUSES
q2.svg
S. BONUSES
q2.svg
BASE SALARY
q2.svg
TOTAL SALARY
q2.svg
MINORS SALARY
q2.svg
2016-17NMC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$5,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000
2017-18NMC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$5,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000
2018-19NMC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$3,000,000$6,000,000$6,000,000
2019-20Modified NTC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$3,000,000$1,000,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
2020-21Modified NTC$6,000,000$6,000,000$0$1,000,000$3,000,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

base sal in 19/20 is 1 mill
20/21 it is 3 mill with 1 mill signing bonus--that makes 5 mill to pay not 3

the cap hit is the problem

most these teams are paying guys now to occupy roles. only 1 team will win the cup... the other teams will feel they need changes

some guys that are overpaid now will see their contracts expire. some will be moved in trades

most teams clear a lot of space as they retool

my bruins for example... are letting rick nash go... riley nash… tim schaller… nick holden… anton khubodin…

things adjust from year to year. many teams are adding multi million dollar players this off season

its really not that hard. its just a question does the guy address the teams plans to improve or not

don't worry... we arnet concerned about being able to move backes. but honestly a lot of us would prefer to keep him if our cap allows for it

this year... it does. we have the cap room to keep him. the trade rumors ended with the Tavares decision. some fans don't understand but we signed him because we want him for our playoff run and that's where he will be now

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Im still salty over the Bruins sending Hamilton to Calgary for an inferior package. Not trading with them
Especially not for the offer in OP lol Quality >>> Quantity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad