Proposal: Bos-Edm

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
most these teams are paying guys now to occupy roles. only 1 team will win the cup... the other teams will feel they need changes

some guys that are overpaid now will see their contracts expire. some will be moved in trades

most teams clear a lot of space as they retool

my bruins for example... are letting rick nash go... riley nash… tim schaller… nick holden… anton khubodin…

things adjust from year to year. many teams are adding multi million dollar players this off season

its really not that hard. its just a question does the guy address the teams plans to improve or not

don't worry... we arnet concerned about being able to move backes. but honestly a lot of us would prefer to keep him if our cap allows for it

this year... it does. we have the cap room to keep him. the trade rumors ended with the Tavares decision. some fans don't understand but we signed him because we want him for our playoff run and that's where he will be now

sorry his wheels have fallen off and his contract is as bad as Lucic for what he does

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
sorry his wheels have fallen off and his contract is as bad as Lucic for what he does

most knowledgable boston fans have no problem keeping backes as long as the cap isn't needed elsewhere... his comeback from his injuries last year was almost legendary. he is so full of heart and winning pedigree its scary

you may have seen a dozen ill informed fans making proposals here... but they don't manage the team

as for your lucic comparison... sorry... that sort of indicates you have a very poor grasp of understanding contracts. but ultimately it doesn't matter

the people in charge of the teams do understand contracts.

this will all be handled the correct way.

Reactions: wintersej

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Im still salty over the Bruins sending Hamilton to Calgary for an inferior package. Not trading with them
Especially not for the offer in OP lol Quality >>> Quantity

My impression was the Bruins and Calgary offer were pretty similar. (One Edm pick was a bit better, 2 were a bit worse). Ultimately Bruins probably draft the same 3 players with either deal. But yes, the Bruins demanded more from Edmonton then they got from Calgary, and yes facing 2 very similar offers took the Calgary offer.

Bruins fans to this day will say we did you a favor. :)

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
Im still salty over the Bruins sending Hamilton to Calgary for an inferior package. Not trading with them
Especially not for the offer in OP lol Quality >>> Quantity

When the Bruins offered Hamilton a contract and he refused to sign it, Hamilton made it clear that he wanted out of Boston so we started taken offers for Hamilton. Calgary's offer was the most appealing. You would have done the same taking the best offer you can get for one of your star players. FYI the contract Dougie Hamilton signed with Calgary was almost identical to the one offered by the Bruins.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Zero interest from this Oil fan. For better or worse, our lineup is pretty much set for this year, short of re-signing Nurse and nabbing a 14th forward. Some aren't optimistic based on where we finished last year, but a lot of things went wrong - particularly on D, in goal and coaching. All of these question marks have been remedied to some degree (Klefbom + Sekera healthy, Larsson's off-ice grief; 2 goalies playing for their next contract/more rest for Talbot; new assistant coaching staff).

At this point, the Oil stand pat and look for an upgrade mid-season if they are in a playoff position. That upgrade likely comes in the form of a rental.
No can do. If the Oilers stand pat and bridge Nurse they will have zero cap space even for a rental.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Zero interest from this Oil fan. For better or worse, our lineup is pretty much set for this year, short of re-signing Nurse and nabbing a 14th forward. Some aren't optimistic based on where we finished last year, but a lot of things went wrong - particularly on D, in goal and coaching. All of these question marks have been remedied to some degree (Klefbom + Sekera healthy, Larsson's off-ice grief; 2 goalies playing for their next contract/more rest for Talbot; new assistant coaching staff).

At this point, the Oil stand pat and look for an upgrade mid-season if they are in a playoff position. That upgrade likely comes in the form of a rental.
Tbay missed the playoffs last season due to injury. I remember the same happening to the BlueJackets 2 seasons ago.

:/

Really wonder why there was no panic button on that?

Oilers get decimated by injuries, with nearly everyone having their career worst seasons,; and HFboard claiming we need to blow it all up.
Suggest trades involving contributing roster players for old vets, and underdeveloped prospects + picks.

Oilers were just injured last year. Yes Chia sucks. Yes Barzal is Amazing. Yes Griffin Reinhart is terrible, and Yes Taylor Hall did win the Hart.

But the only reason the Oilers missed the playoffs was a plague of injuries to our top 3 Dmen, on what isn't considered a notably strong D-group to begin with.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Holy **** buddy (laugh) that is not good.

Guys, Edmonton is in absolutely no position to be dealing productive NHLers like RNH and young defencemen like Nurse for futures and cap dumps like Backes.

Lucic and Backes is just way too much ‘gritty’ uselessness for one team.

Krug is a good defenceman but the +on Klefbom is not RNH and taking a bunch of B futures back . Our prospect pool is quietly becoming pretty good, we don’t need to crucify the likes of Nuge and Klefbom to slightly improve it.

You want to make your team better - I get it. We do too, and not ‘maybe possibly three years from now’ either.

I’ve followed Lauzon for years. I honestly do not believe there is an NHL defenceman there. I feel similarly about Senyshyn in the sense I think he tops out as a 3rd liner.

Agree with this post as that was obviously a bad proposal. Interested in bolded considering he was one of the last (THE last IIRC) cuts from Bruins camp last year.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Your not getting DeBrusk, 16 goals in his rookie season and still has 2 years left on his entry level Contract.

I’m not sure this would impress Oiler fans in a deal for Nugent-Hopkins, who got more goals at a younger age as a rookie than DeBrusk.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
the problem is his cap

33pts for a cap hit if 6 mill

his physical pay will be 4 mill for the final two years of his contract--but the cap hit is six and only a team like Arizona likes to take on cap hits

teams trying to win not so much

his wheels have fallen off

To be fair you need to look at what happened with Backes during the season. It wasn't exactly a declining 33 points in 82 games type of season.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
No can do. If the Oilers stand pat and bridge Nurse they will have zero cap space even for a rental.

If we bridge Nurse, he's getting in the 3.25 range. A 14th forward is likely getting 650k. We currently have 4.98 in cap space. That's a mil to start the season. Between (potentially) LTIR room gained during the season, players going the other way (say a Benning/Kassian/Caggulia), retention, and the fact that it's only 25% of the remaining contract (1mil is like 4 mil at the deadline), and I think we'll be just fine when the trade deadline comes around.

But thanks for worrying about us.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I dont see Boston and Edmonton as good trading partners. They're both trying to compete and both have 1-2 contracts they wouldn't mind unloading to another team to give themselves more flexibility to allow stronger depth.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
To be fair you need to look at what happened with Backes during the season. It wasn't exactly a declining 33 points in 82 games type of season.
Ya, I’ll be the first to admit Backes had a rough year for what he makes.

But his body tried to kill him. How many other guys this year went on LTIR because they had their intestines removed!?!

I don’t think you can massage that type of injury. Gotta give it some time before your truly up to speed again and that’s hard to do during the year.

First half of this season will be a better judge on where he’s at

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
I’m not sure this would impress Oiler fans in a deal for Nugent-Hopkins, who got more goals at a younger age as a rookie than DeBrusk.

Who said anything about Nuggent-Hopkins? Boston Doesn't need any more Centerman with a $6,000,000 cap hit, what re need is RW. That being said DeBrusk put up some impressive numbers on his rookie season, and he still has 2 years left on his Entry level contract, so it would be foolish to trade him now before we know what we got

Pastrnak rookie season pointsper game 1.7 and he played on the Bergeron line
DeBrusk Rookie season PPG 1.62

Last edited:

John Gallant

Jul 13, 2018
Wonder if there would be a desire from either side to reunite Krejci and Lucic. Both had there best seasons playing together.

John Gallant

Jul 13, 2018
Something around Lucic for Backes straight up... or Krug, Krejci + picks or prospects for RNH and Klefbom.

John Gallant

Jul 13, 2018
Wonder if there would be a desire from either side to reunite Krejci and Lucic. Both had there best seasons playing together.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Though the Lucic for Backes may be enticing.
Backes is 4 years older and theres a good chance his play goes down the gutter and never comes back. Lucic is only 30 so he can bounce back and have a few decent years until Seattle where we can give them something to take him or use a conpliance buyout on him or something. Id much rather let him bounce back this year then trade him next summer when his value is higher and 1 more year is shaved off his contract. I'd move him for full cap relief or young prospects/players though with an add if needed.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
If we bridge Nurse, he's getting in the 3.25 range. A 14th forward is likely getting 650k. We currently have 4.98 in cap space. That's a mil to start the season. Between (potentially) LTIR room gained during the season, players going the other way (say a Benning/Kassian/Caggulia), retention, and the fact that it's only 25% of the remaining contract (1mil is like 4 mil at the deadline), and I think we'll be just fine when the trade deadline comes around.

But thanks for worrying about us.
I am not worrying about the Oilers, I am laughing at them like the rest of the NHL.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Though the Lucic for Backes may be enticing.

Boston certainly should say no to that.

Backes is one of the few RH shot forwards Boston has. Backes contract is 2 years shorter than Lucic. ANd finally Backes contract is structured in such a way he should be easily movable in either 2019, or 2020.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad