Borussia Dortmund Vs Manchester United

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
No matter how much amount of money was thrown at him, Zlatan would never sign with United if van Gaal was still the manager. Slate him all you want, but Mourinho certainly has his pulls. Plus, he has already delivered two trophies, and his teams are always better in the second season. We're trending upwards as a club under him, which is something no one could claim after LvG/Moyes seasons.

He delivered a League Cup and a Europa Leauge. United should have won the Europa League from day one. On top of that the club spent a fortune bolstering the side for him. IMO Mourinho has made somewhat of an impact, but you're giving him too much credit.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
He delivered a League Cup and a Europa Leauge. United should have won the Europa League from day one. On top of that the club spent a fortune bolstering the side for him. IMO Mourinho has made somewhat of an impact, but you're giving him too much credit.

Should have, yes, but things like that haven't always been a certainty with United these last few years. van Gaal also spent a whole lot of money, but couldn't get out of the easiest group in group stage, nor do any damage in the EL etc.

Maybe I am giving him too much credit, but it's only because I'm liking the state of the club going into the new season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No matter how much amount of money was thrown at him, Zlatan would never sign with United if van Gaal was still the manager. Slate him all you want, but Mourinho certainly has his pulls. Plus, he has already delivered two trophies, and his teams are always better in the second season. We're trending upwards as a club under him, which is something no one could claim after LvG/Moyes seasons.

Any comparison to Liverpool is also absurd when United have won more in the last two years than what the scouse have in the last decade or so.

I don't think the manager would have mattered to Zlatan to go to United at all actually. It was Man U or MLS, and Raiola saw too it that he would go to England. Unless Zlatan had a previous feud with LVG that I'm not aware of I don't see how it would have made any difference. Man U has become Raiola's sandbox and the Lukaku signing further more proves that.

I didn't make a comparison to Liverpool. There is no comparison. Man U can buy themselves out of this rut. Liverpool have never had that luxury; certainly not to the extent that United has had. What Liverpool has now is everything riding on Klopp.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
I don't think the manager would have mattered to Zlatan to go to United at all actually. It was Man U or MLS, and Raiola saw too it that he would go to England. Unless Zlatan had a previous feud with LVG that I'm not aware of I don't see how it would have made any difference. Man U has become Raiola's sandbox and the Lukaku signing further more proves that.

There was bad blood between Zlatan and LVG. Too lazy to look it up, but it was in his autobiography or something. Safe to say he wouldn't have joined if there wasn't a managerial change.

I didn't make a comparison to Liverpool. There is no comparison. Man U can buy themselves out of this rut. Liverpool have never had that luxury; certainly not to the extent that United has had. What Liverpool has now is everything riding on Klopp.

Wasn't directed at you. Should've made a new post.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There was bad blood between Zlatan and LVG. Too lazy to look it up, but it was in his autobiography or something. Safe to say he wouldn't have joined if there wasn't a managerial change.

Fair. But even so, besides Man U and PSG, how many other teams in the world could have paid those wages, especially in Europe? It was a very limited pool of teams

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I doubt they'd celebrate it more than they celebrated winning the cup over Bayern.

Impossible to tell, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. German clubs not called Bayern don't win European trophies these days. Last team to do so was in fact Dortmund - 20 years ago.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Of course no one would be the same, but it's a fact that cannot be overlooked. Players used to go to united to be in a Ferguson project. Now they just go for the paycheck. Their culture has taken a hit. Which would obviously always happen but Mourinho is a divisive figure himself. Luckily for man united they have their checkbook because all they can do now is buy their way out of it. Which may work but they are getting players now because the agents funneling their players their so they can get paid. Their is no post Ferguson history to sell them on. Moyes was a disaster. Van Gaal was a circus and with Mourinho you never know what will happen in year 3 and beyond. That being said, cash is king.

I don´t really disagree, but is that any different than any other big club these days? Utd were special (alongside Arsenal for a while). Now they are not, but that is not to say they still aren´t "relevant/big" - or will stop being so.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
How the Teams would look like in a match-up.
For Dortmund it would be something like this.

------------------------------Bürki

Pisczek-----------Sokratis----------Toprak-------------Guerreiro

------------------------Weigl--------Dahoud

-------------------------------Götze

------Dembele-------------------------------------------Reus

-----------------------------Aubameyang

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Bure, you have two injured players and someone desperatly trying to flee Dortmund (be it L1, EPL or even China).

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Because he's deperately trying to. Now he's heavily linked with Chelsea.

Heavily linked by whom? All I see is an article by the Sunday Express that the bookies have slashed the odds for that. And I have a wild guess why that is: Chelsea's prime target just got snapped up by United.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Heavily linked in the media. Don't know if they have sources or not, but it makes tons of sense.
Would you deny Auba was ready to go to China or PSG this summer?
Think if Chelsea comes knocking he says no?

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Bure, you have two injured players and someone desperatly trying to flee Dortmund (be it L1, EPL or even China).

If Dortmund plays against Manu it will probably be in the CL K.O. stage. This is over a half year from now. So i think it makes no sense to count Players who are injured now.

I think Auba will stay. But lets think he goes. Do you think Dortmund will go only with Isak into next season?

Last edited:

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Heavily linked in the media. Don't know if they have sources or not, but it makes tons of sense.
Would you deny Auba was ready to go to China or PSG this summer?
Think if Chelsea comes knocking he says no?

Yes, he was ready to go to PSG and China, but only for a ridiculous salary. If Chelsea is ready to shell that out, then maybe.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If Dortmund plays against Manu it will probably be in the CL K.O. stage. This is over a half year from now. So i think it makes no sense to count Players who are injured now.

I think Auba will stay. But lets think he goes. Do you think Dortmund will go only with Isak into next season?
Hopefully not. But they missed on Augustin as well.
Do you think they can sign someone of Auba's quality?
I don't.

Yes, he was ready to go to PSG and China, but only for a ridiculous salary. If Chelsea is ready to shell that out, then maybe.

You are seriously wondering if Chelsea is ready to dish ridiculous salaries? Come on, that's what they've done for a dozen years now.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Hopefully not. But they missed on Augustin as well.
Do you think they can sign someone of Auba's quality?
I don't.

You are seriously wondering if Chelsea is ready to dish ridiculous salaries? Come on, that's what they've done for a dozen years now.

Yes, but Auba's salary demands are apparently at least €10M - after tax. I doubt even Chelsea is ready to pay that.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Meh, they'll have to pay because no high profile striker is on the market except him and because Conte wants to get rid of Costa.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

Because he's deperately trying to. Now he's heavily linked with Chelsea.

"desperately." When Griez was linked with ManU you said he was just trying to get more money from Atletico. When Aubameyang is linked with big money clubs, he's "desperate" to leave. :rolleyes:

He likes Dortmund by all accounts. He just wants some more money before he's done playing. Understandably so.

A CL clash wouldn't happen at the beginning of the season. In fact, since both clubs are in pot 2, it wouldn't happen until the knockout rounds at the earliest. So there's really no problem including Dortmund's injured players.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Don't know. But Auba's options are also starting to shrink. His salary demands seem completely out of hand. He'll likely move to a bigger profile team and cash up a lot of money doing so.
He's not that young and this might be his last chance to get a huge contract on a CL contending team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
"desperately." When Griez was linked with ManU you said he was just trying to get more money from Atletico. When Aubameyang is linked with big money clubs, he's "desperate" to leave. :rolleyes:

He likes Dortmund by all accounts. He just wants some more money before he's done playing. Understandably so.

Thing is, it was obvious for Griezmann. He even said he was more likely to stay than leave.
Auba's desperate to get a last huge contract.
When you're ready to go to China, I don't know how you call it, but I call it desperate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad